11-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #14566
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
thanks

yeah, you pay your money and take your chances

however there is this little notice on the auction

" 14 day returns. Buyer pays for return shipping "

and there were late bids, that didn't make it so I wasn't the only one looking at it
Ah, you hedged your bets on that one. Good. Hope its everything it was presented as being. I'm cleaning house and listing a few things myself. I'm also buying. Ah well, balance in all things.....

11-18-2018, 04:32 PM   #14567
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not quite as dumb as I look and I set a limit and was willing to let it go if it went over that

time will tell
11-18-2018, 04:57 PM - 3 Likes   #14568
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In 20 years (Yikes! ) have had hundreds of satisfactory eBay purchases,
as well as a few that were not and required returns.

If the item was described as working and is not, or is otherwise not as described
the seller is responsible for cost of return shipping regardless of what is stated.

Chris
11-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #14569
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

If the item was described as working and is not, or is otherwise not as described
the seller is responsible for cost of return shipping regardless of what is stated.

Chris
as far as I am concerned I have, in addition to the regular ebay coverage for returning it as not being as described

a period to return it regardless of reason and then I pay shipping

hopefully I will like it, it will be as described and I won't have to press the point

11-18-2018, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #14570
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Exactly - this is why I am VERY careful to describe all faults, even ones that might easily go unnoticed. Then when someone says "I bought this and the iris sometimes sticks" I can say "That's why it's mentioned in the lot title, in the condition notes, and in the description." I probably make a little less money, but I can live without the aggravation. I know a used book dealer who generally grades at least two steps lower than most of his rivals for this reason - his "Good reading copy" is most people's "Excellent near-new condition" and so forth.
11-18-2018, 10:10 PM   #14571
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Good advice. I had one adapter stuck on so hard it was almost impossible to remove. Also, those 42 to K mount adapters have to fit entirely inside the mount. With an exterior flange that increases the registry distance, you cannot focus to infinity. It is surprising that anyone actually designed and sold such adapters.

I got caught out by an allegedly European power socket adapter. The maker made one with two parallel round pins mounted on a flat base, not allowing for the recessed socket design of the sockets in the wall in Europe. Bought it in Singapore. Had to find someone who could sell me an effective one when I arrive in Holland. Eventually found one that went from European to UK, which meant I needed to stack another adapter on the back of that. Starts getting a bit flimsy.
11-19-2018, 03:27 AM   #14572
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I got caught out by an allegedly European power socket adapter. The maker made one with two parallel round pins mounted on a flat base, not allowing for the recessed socket design of the sockets in the wall in Europe. Bought it in Singapore. Had to find someone who could sell me an effective one when I arrive in Holland. Eventually found one that went from European to UK, which meant I needed to stack another adapter on the back of that. Starts getting a bit flimsy.
I have played that game too over 20 year period of international business consulting all over Europe, Asia, and Africa. I carried a fairly large repurposed shaving bag full of electric outlet adapters, and sometimes had to stack them to get the current flowing.

11-19-2018, 05:07 AM - 3 Likes   #14573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well we just got a brand new Speed Queen dryer!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our old (14 years) cloths dryer started failing last week and gave up the ghost on Friday. Even Made in the USA! After troubleshooting the old one and realizing that it was going to cost over $200 to fix if I did the repairs myself. I made the decision to go new.

For those who do not know, Speed Queen makes commercial washers and dryers and most of the units you see on laundromats around the US. They use the same components in their household appliances. Stainless steel drums too. Nothing fancy. No touch panels. Just enough different cycles. Rated life of 25 years. It will outlast me.

No coin slots on this one but the guy at the store said he could get one for us if we wanted. Purchased it Friday night got it installed Sunday afternoon.
11-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #14574
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
No coin slots on this one but the guy at the store said he could get one for us if we wanted. Purchased it Friday night got it installed Sunday afternoon.

You need something to control the presumptuous use by children and grandchildren.
11-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #14575
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well we just got a brand new Speed Queen dryer!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our old (14 years) cloths dryer started failing last week and gave up the ghost on Friday. Even Made in the USA! After troubleshooting the old one and realizing that it was going to cost over $200 to fix if I did the repairs myself. I made the decision to go new.

For those who do not know, Speed Queen makes commercial washers and dryers and most of the units you see on laundromats around the US. They use the same components in their household appliances. Stainless steel drums too. Nothing fancy. No touch panels. Just enough different cycles. Rated life of 25 years. It will outlast me.

sounds like you got a good deal

we just replaced our stove and range top

nothing fancy Whirlpool brand

basic oven, self cleaning, see thru window, coil type heating units and timers

wife chose it, I'm not as dumb as I look, I just said ok with me

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-19-2018 at 05:26 AM.
11-19-2018, 06:07 AM   #14576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

basic oven, self cleaning, see thru window, coil type heating units and timers

We replaced our coil element stove with a smooth-top a few years ago (my incentive, as I do most of the cooking and all the stove cleaning) The pans under the coils can get filthy-looking and are just about impossible to clean = not worth the effort. What I found over the years of dealing with coil burners: 1) easier to replace dirty pans below the burners than clean them; 2) black enamel pans look better longer than shiny stainless steel; 3) tin foil liners don't look quite as neat, but they are very cheap & easy to replace when they get dirty.
11-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #14577
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
We replaced our coil element stove with a smooth-top a few years ago (my incentive, as I do most of the cooking and all the stove cleaning) The pans under the coils can get filthy-looking and are just about impossible to clean = not worth the effort. What I found over the years of dealing with coil burners: 1) easier to replace dirty pans below the burners than clean them; 2) black enamel pans look better longer than shiny stainless steel; 3) tin foil liners don't look quite as neat, but they are very cheap & easy to replace when they get dirty.
yep

I'm out today pick up some " coil covers " to help out and keep debris out
Attached Images

11-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #14578

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
***Word of warning*** some of the cheap infinity adapters go on but don't come off. You have to take your camera apart. Pixco are fine and not too expensive.

The cheapest adapters are just a flat ring with a k mount underneath. These increase the distance from the sensor to the lens. Fine for close ups but no good for anything ten feet away
Yup, i have a couple of extension rings and an MZ-50 body to test. I also seen some people complaining of adaptor not coming off and while this being true, the culprit was the tool bundled not being suitable for the job.
Also, avoided that cheap type, the one i got gets inside the body and sits flat with the actual mount, instead of on top.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Suggest trying adapters on expendable tubes, dead cameras etc. if possible before putting them on something good.
More of this, spare film body and extension tubes to the rescue.
11-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #14579
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yep

I'm out today pick up some " coil covers " to help out and keep debris out
I was temped to get those many times but never did. My sister covered her burners with white enameled tins that had a blue floral design that matched her chinaware. She was attentive to little details of decorating. The interior of her condo was always a visual treat.
11-19-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #14580
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You need something to control the presumptuous use by children and grandchildren.

I have two brothers and two sisters, all older than me.
When we all lived at home together (mid-1960's) my parents kept a can with coin slot near the kitchen phone.

Chris