Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #14581
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have two brothers and two sisters, all older than me.
When we all lived at home together (mid-1960's) my parents kept a can with coin slot near the kitchen phone.

Chris
so, are you willing to admit now that you raided the can for soda/pop money?

11-19-2018, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #14582
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Good advice. I had one adapter stuck on so hard it was almost impossible to remove. Also, those 42 to K mount adapters have to fit entirely inside the mount. With an exterior flange that increases the registry distance, you cannot focus to infinity. It is surprising that anyone actually designed and sold such adapters.
In reality that kind of adapters can be incredibly useful.
You just have to take into account that if the guest lens is correctly set for infinity, you won't be able to focus to infinity anymore.
BUT... some lenses offer ample room for helicoid adjusting and some others can be converted to PK mount removing the original bayonet and using the flanged adapter in its place. Of course some lathe/burr/drill work is required...
The flanged adapters are usually 1mm thick, but there is a very thin black version that is about 0.5mm.
One interesting use of the latter would be the conversion of Zenit M39 lenses. Most (all?) of them have an internal washer that has to be sanded down to allow for infinity focusing using an M39>M42 adapter. I resisted the temptation to make the washer thin enough to allow the use of a flanged M42>PK adapter cause I want to preserve the integrity of the original. Removing the washer would allow to focus past infinity, unfortunately it is not an option because other way the diaphragm gets stuck.
There is a possible solution: making a new washer from scratch. There is a material, sold in sheets, that is used to cut gaskets for vintage car/bike engines. It looks like a kind of copper league, and should be thin enough to allow for the use of a flanged adapter, retaining infinity focusing. I'll give it a try as soon as I find a better scalpel and the right material.
Another use of non-infinity adapters is with tubes/bellows. For example I have an Edixa Bellowsmat with swinging front standard. With a flanged adapter it can be quickly mounted/removed from the camera, making its use much more practical.
The same concept applies to M42 lenses that very likely will never be used at infinity, like the Volna-9 or the Industar-61 L/Z.
Never tried myself, some catadioptric lenses focus past infinity because they must be usable under very high temperatures. With a focal of 500mm (or even 1000/1100mm) the variation in register would not be so dramatic, so maybe at normal temperatures the lens could reach infinity anyway.
Screwing long heavy lenses on a camera is a real pain. Anybody who is familiar with the procedure knows what I'm talking about. Having a PK mount hugely improves the ergonomics.
11-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #14583
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was kept on the top of the refrigerator, and honestly I couldn't reach it.

Later though after my parents split IIRC some of my fathers coin collection went to the ice cream man...

Chris
11-19-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #14584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well we just got a brand new Speed Queen dryer!
Great choice!

Last year, the transmission in our 28-year Maytag washing machine broke -- beyond economical repair this time. We replaced the washer and dryer with Speed Queen machines. Speed Queen is not as well known in Canada as the other popular consumer brands, but we found in-store stock and good prices at a dealer in a small town about an hour's drive from Ottawa. We popped a balloon on the ceiling for their 75th anniversary sale and got another 10% off, then they offered two very nice rib steaks as a thank you for our patronage (they run a butcher shop in the same place). The machines are solid and they're working very well for us. They also appear to be user-fixable to some degree, which some of the other brands are not.

11-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #14585
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
We replaced our coil element stove with a smooth-top a few years ago (my incentive, as I do most of the cooking and all the stove cleaning) The pans under the coils can get filthy-looking and are just about impossible to clean = not worth the effort. What I found over the years of dealing with coil burners: 1) easier to replace dirty pans below the burners than clean them; 2) black enamel pans look better longer than shiny stainless steel; 3) tin foil liners don't look quite as neat, but they are very cheap & easy to replace when they get dirty.
Gotcha, Walt. I have a similar chore schedule, but do find that if I don't let the pans get too bad, the dishwasher does a fine job on them.
11-19-2018, 09:19 AM - 3 Likes   #14586
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The effects of a 1mm thick adaptor on infinity focus are very sensitive to focal length. The approximate shift of infinity focus for different focal lengths is:

300 mm: 91 meters
100 mm: 10.2 meters
50 mm: 2.6 meters
28 mm: 0.8 meters

For telephoto lenses, the effect of a flanged adapter may not impact usability. But wide-angle lenses become almost unusable except for close-up/macro applications.
11-19-2018, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #14587
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The effects of a 1mm thick adaptor on infinity focus are very sensitive to focal length. The approximate shift of infinity focus for different focal lengths is:

300 mm: 91 meters
100 mm: 10.2 meters
50 mm: 2.6 meters
28 mm: 0.8 meters

For telephoto lenses, the effect of a flanged adapter may not impact usability. But wide-angle lenses become almost unusable except for close-up/macro applications.
For 300 and up, legacy lenses often allow for thermal length increase in the metal lens tubes, and focus past infinity, such as my M 400/5.6 does. I would suspect that a fair number of those older M42 lenses (including the 400 varieties) would allow infinity focus with the "bad" adapters. Myself, I use the original Pentax version so I need not worry, even when using my SMC Takumar 55/1.8.

I have never quite understood why saving $15 buying a cheap adapter is worth the effort.

11-19-2018, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #14588
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
For 300 and up, legacy lenses often allow for thermal length increase in the metal lens tubes, and focus past infinity, such as my M 400/5.6 does. I would suspect that a fair number of those older M42 lenses (including the 400 varieties) would allow infinity focus with the "bad" adapters. Myself, I use the original Pentax version so I need not worry, even when using my SMC Takumar 55/1.8.

I have never quite understood why saving $15 buying a cheap adapter is worth the effort.
Well, IMHO flanged adapters are not meant to replace the original design (be it the OEM version, a good german knock-off like Hama, or the black one that depresses the auto pin - all are fine in my experience), but serve another purpose. I mentioned a few different uses in my previous post.

Btw, what you say about the tolerance of some long focus M42 lenses is true. I mentioned 500 and longer catadioptrics because those lenses are even more sensitive to high temperatures, and usually go well past infinity in normal use.
I have personally used most (all?) available adapters. Each has its own use, even cheap chinese knock-offs of the original Asahi Pentax version. I just don't use them with the spring/screw on, and not in place of the good ones. Though they are usable for conversion/adaptation work.
I would NEVER mount them on a working camera without removing the spring first, but I found that they work fine on a few lenses I have converted from other mounts. Even those that are a bit out of spec can be usually "fixed" with a touch of sharpening stone.

----------------

After asking on another thread about a modern, fast, decently priced fifty, I found a nice Sigma EX DG HSM 1.4/50mm for a decent price, and decided to give it a go.
As soon as I get it from the USA, I will check how better is it compared to the Pentax-FA I already own.
Maybe one day I will find a DA* 55mm for a price I can't refuse and I will give it a try. For the moment I am anxious to test the Sigma. The other two HSM lenses I own are very, very good. I hope I will be as satisfied with the new arrival

11-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #14589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Great choice!

Last year, the transmission in our 28-year Maytag washing machine broke -- beyond economical repair this time. We replaced the washer and dryer with Speed Queen machines. Speed Queen is not as well known in Canada as the other popular consumer brands, but we found in-store stock and good prices at a dealer in a small town about an hour's drive from Ottawa. We popped a balloon on the ceiling for their 75th anniversary sale and got another 10% off, then they offered two very nice rib steaks as a thank you for our patronage (they run a butcher shop in the same place). The machines are solid and they're working very well for us. They also appear to be user-fixable to some degree, which some of the other brands are not.
You can do most of the repairs to a Speed Queen washing machine by simply removing the front panel.
11-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #14590
Pentaxian

Vaguely photography related, a new IPhone 6s to replace my ageing Motorola.
The transition from Android to Apple is going to be "interesting"!
11-19-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #14591
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Vaguely photography related, a new IPhone 6s to replace my ageing Motorola.
The transition from Android to Apple is going to be "interesting"!
Welcome to the Revolution!
11-19-2018, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #14592
Veteran Member

Just got an A35-135 in this afternoon. Just had to try with this lens as I'd never seen one offered before. Nice shape internally, a bit used externally, but seems to be a nice lens. Now to go shoot with it......
11-20-2018, 04:06 AM - 2 Likes   #14593
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Lastest Acquisition

Just ordered what looks to be an expensive accessory but that having been said, I know that it's just what I've been looking for and I just it can't be bothered to mess about fudging one up... I'll let you all know how I get on with it in use, it should work really with the tilting screen on the K1.

I can't find any other reference to this item on the forum, so I'm hoping this post it will be of interest to other folk.

Max ? Platypod®

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 11-20-2018 at 04:14 AM.
11-20-2018, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #14594
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
My Latest Acquisition

Just ordered what looks to be an expensive accessory but that having been said, I know that it's just what I've been looking for and I just it can't be bothered to mess about fudging one up... I'll let you all know how I get on with it in use, it should work really with the tilting screen on the K1.

I can't find any other reference to this item on the forum, so I'm hoping this post it will be of interest to other folk.

Max ? Platypod®
11-20-2018, 04:11 AM   #14595
Veteran Member

Interesting... I'd be really worried about knocking it down from the railing... The max might survive, that's the good thing!