Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #15166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The surviving founder of Friendly Ice Cream and the restaurant chain of the same name (mostly in New England) collected and restored old Rolls Royce automobiles, including a few manufactured in Springfield MA where RR had a factory for a while. I collected all sorts of things as a kid - stamps, coins, plastic models, insects. We generally collect either enamel pins or embroidered patches as souvenirs of our travels (will post an image sometime.

This restaurant on Kauai is a repository for license plates discarded by people who have moved to and taken up residence in Hawaii. This image includes maybe 1/5 of the plates (backside of every rafter is also covered, as are rafters not visible in this image, and some wall space as you can see in the mirror, far wall at left).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-17-2019 at 01:14 PM.
01-17-2019, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #15167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
I was watching a collector TV show about a year ago (I forgot the name) and there was those guys collecting vintage washing machines. Once or twice a years they'd do a meet up at someone's house to wash clothes for the whole weekend.
As a married individual, who by self-choice is fully in charge of laundry/clothe-washing duties in his home - I want in on this club!

I once read in a book about self-awareness (university-mandated reading), that every chore/duty/activity must be done with full concentration and mindset in the acts performed: if you're doing the dishes, do not think about other things you have to accomplish during the day, or do not day-dream - think about the fact that you're mixing water and soap in order to scrub the plate/fork/glass, and about the circular motions you have to do to get the task accomplished... That is all I took out of that 200-page book.

Ever since, I am, by choice, the laundry-man and the dish-washer at home. To me both are impressively relaxing chores.
01-17-2019, 04:41 PM - 2 Likes   #15168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I am, by choice, the laundry-man and the dish-washer at home. To me both are impressively relaxing chores.
I get that. Removing leaves from a swimming pool by net - to me is like raking sand in a zen garden.
01-17-2019, 10:41 PM - 3 Likes   #15169
Veteran Member

As a married individual, who by self-choice is fully in charge of laundry/clothe-washing duties in his home - I want in on this club!
Here's the basement I saw in that T.V Show, the guys looked like a nice bunch. I remember that they were watching football between loads.

01-17-2019, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #15170
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I once read in a book about self-awareness (university-mandated reading), that every chore/duty/activity must be done with full concentration and mindset in the acts performed: if you're doing the dishes, do not think about other things you have to accomplish during the day, or do not day-dream - think about the fact that you're mixing water and soap in order to scrub the plate/fork/glass, and about the circular motions you have to do to get the task accomplished... That is all I took out of that 200-page book.

Ever since, I am, by choice, the laundry-man and the dish-washer at home. To me both are impressively relaxing chores.

One I find really useful.

When I am locking the front door - focus on thinking about the fact that I am locking the front door. Otherwise sometime through the day I will be left wondering IF I locked the front door and that will agitate me through the day. On occasions where this has happened I have always found the front door locked when I return (and no evidence of disturbance inside), so I conclude I actually lock it out of habit that is heavily ingrained, but I am not aware of fulfilling the habit.

Which brings me to that stupid question lawyers ask in court. Where were you at 8pm on 5 April 2017. If I was innocent of the allegation I would probably have no idea where I was or what I was doing except, perhaps, by deduction if I regularly did something on that day of the week.
01-18-2019, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #15171
Pentaxian

Here's the basement I saw in that T.V Show, the guys looked like a nice bunch. I remember that they were watching football between loads.
This story just keeps getting better and better.

---------- Post added 01-18-19 at 10:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
When I am locking the front door - focus on thinking about the fact that I am locking the front door. Otherwise sometime through the day I will be left wondering IF I locked the front door and that will agitate me through the day. On occasions where this has happened I have always found the front door locked when I return (and no evidence of disturbance inside), so I conclude I actually lock it out of habit that is heavily ingrained, but I am not aware of fulfilling the habit.
Imagine this but with the gas stove top... I've turned around after leaving for work, to find the stove was always turned off. It is a bad feeling.
01-18-2019, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #15172
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Which brings me to that stupid question lawyers ask in court. Where were you at 8pm on 5 April 2017. If I was innocent of the allegation I would probably have no idea where I was or what I was doing except, perhaps, by deduction if I regularly did something on that day of the week.

Which brings up the safest answer to give when under oath: "Sorry, I do not remember." No one can possibly prove that you are lying, even if the event took place the day before.

01-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #15173
Pentaxian

My memory really is that bad - I was once left in charge of a shop for a few hours and ended up having to close it for a while so I could get something to the post office. Someone in a cafe across the road told me I went back to check the door three times before going to the post office...

Meanwhile, the car boot sale fairy has been OK today:

Canon EOS 50E body for £3, seems OK
Canon T50 with 50/1.8, case, and flash for £20 - very slight fungus in the front element but should still make a profit
Takumar 28-80 3.5-4.5 £10 - again slight fungus in the front element but it takes a bright light and a magnifier to see it, I'll have to mention it so I'll probably break even.
and two lens hoods, a rubber one that happens to fit the zoom and a metal one that happens to fit the 50mm, plus an old bulb-type flash, for £2

Two more sales tomorrow, I'm hoping that they'll be better and that it will be a bit warmer and drier...

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 01-19-2019 at 09:16 AM.
01-19-2019, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #15174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sous vide. Cooking and color processing!

My loving Daughter gave me a sous vide heater! We've used for the Christmas rib roast, a really thick bone in pork chop, and just last night some wild salmon filet. A wonderful machine! And it looks as though it maintains tight enough temperature control for color processing.
01-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #15175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
My loving Daughter gave me a sous vide heater! We've used for the Christmas rib roast, a really thick bone in pork chop, and just last night some wild salmon filet. A wonderful machine! And it looks as though it maintains tight enough temperature control for color processing.
After the colour processing, you might get some interesting "spice" flavours in your pork chop!
01-20-2019, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #15176
Pentaxian

Bottom feeding again on flea-Bay ... some winners and a loser.

Winners: Winning bid purchase price of 4,20 €, two very nice working AF film cameras with like-new straps. A MZ-30 and a Z-20 that is really starting to grow on me ... have taken a fondness to the Z and its feature set. I will shoot with a few rolls soon.

A gamble and a loser here. A MZ-5n that came with an Astron (re-badged Sigma Zoom Master 35-70) lens and another like-new strap. It was sold for parts (10,79 € winning bid) in that the mirror motor gear is out, but I wanted to experiment with a possible repair ... a bit too much for me at the moment so into the REALLY rainy day project bin. Here partially disassemble in order to learn a bit. Live and learn. J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 01-20-2019 at 09:20 AM.
01-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #15177
Pentaxian

Not really an acquisition, but I discovered found a broken FA 100-300mm at the back of my sock drawer today. It still takes pictures but autofocus only works at 300mm. Some broken gears I guess. I bought a Sigma 70-300mm to replace it.
01-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #15178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Not really an acquisition, but I discovered found a broken FA 100-300mm at the back of my sock drawer today. It still takes pictures but autofocus only works at 300mm. Some broken gears I guess. I bought a Sigma 70-300mm to replace it.
I knew a guy who would hide a paycheck in his drawer once in a while and then have a nice surprise when he'd find it. The stuff people do...
01-20-2019, 03:14 PM - 2 Likes   #15179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I knew a guy who would hide a paycheck in his drawer once in a while and then have a nice surprise when he'd find it. The stuff people do...
Not such a nice surprise when the bank returned it stale dated.
01-21-2019, 04:53 AM   #15180
Forum Member

My Grandma used to make clothes for her kids because it was less expensive. According to my Mom, she used a black Singer with a treadle up until the mid 70s.

Ps: Someday we'll have a talk about double-edge safety razors & wet shaving
Ha my wife got me a double-edge safety razor for Christmas. I love it