Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #15346
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Yeah, I realise it attacks the router f/w, but the main issue seems be that although there is updated f/w for that router that might fix the vulnerabilty, I can't get the damned m/c to load it - and, now that the Chinese are all off on their New Years Holidays, I probably won't get any responses to the Support Ticket that I raised for at least another week or two.

Anyway, took the opportunity to get a more modern TP-Link Archer "low end" AC router to take over the AP duties as that is/can be updated to deal with KRACK - and hopefully get me a bit more range so that I can connect it to stuff I want to install in the garage at the end of the garden.
That a clarifies things quite a bit. Thanks.

Could you add a "repeater" for the router to add range? Is there such a thing that wouldn't in itself be vulnerable?

02-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #15347
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That a clarifies things quite a bit. Thanks.

Could you add a "repeater" for the router to add range? Is there such a thing that wouldn't in itself be vulnerable?
An Access Point (AP) is a effectively "repeater" beause it allow access to the house LAN and all of what's connected to that (should I so want) including internet access via the main router. In this case, it is connected by cabled Ethernet to the main wireless router as I prefer that approach to having the secondary router acting in wireless bridge mode where it receives wireless transmissions from the main router and then rebroadcasts them (and because I can since I installed an ethernet RJ45 outlet in the conservatory when it was built)

As far as the vulnerabilty of the AP to KRACK (etc.), that's why I'm gettting another modern router from a large supplier to use as the AP as that is more likely to be supported than an older one.
BTW: If the Chinese Support TIcket results in me getting updated KRACK-resistent f/w onto the existing AP then that'll go down in the garage as the other end of that link.

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-10-2019 at 08:54 AM.
02-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #15348
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
An Access Point (AP) is a effectively "repeater" beause it allow access to the house LAN and all of what's connected to that (should I so want) including internet access via the main router. In this case, it is connected by cabled Ethernet to the main wireless router as I prefer that approach to having the secondary router acting in wireless bridge mode where it receives wireless transmissions from the main router and then rebroadcasts them (and because I can since I installed an ethernet RJ45 outlet in the conservatory when it was built)

As far as the vulnerabilty of the AP to KRACK (etc.), that's why I'm gettting another modern router from a large supplier to use as the AP as that is more likely to be supported than an older one.
BTW: If the Chinese Support TIcket results in me getting updated KRACK-resistent f/w onto the existing AP then that'll go down in the garage as the other end of that link.
Thanks for the detailed responses.

I'm learning stuff I usually leave to my long time friend at LeppardTechnologies -- we've worked together on things since the mid 1980's. I do DBA stuff and he does other techie stuff. We pass work back and forth and sometimes back each other up, such as with Hearts Duplicate Bridge Club where he is the manager and I back him up with the computer stuff and lose a lot of bridge games (although my partner and I came out higher on the list than him last Monday! -- a VERY rare occurrence).
02-10-2019, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #15349
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Forgot to mention today's only acquisition, another preset 135/3.5, also Prinz Galaxy but a later one and not as nice as the one I got a few days ago. Fewer aperture blades and they're very oily, but OK for a fiver.

02-10-2019, 03:59 PM - 3 Likes   #15350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I recently acquired some 16x20" photo paper. Really excited to use some in my darkroom! I have an 8x10 print on the paper box for reference.

02-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #15351
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

some filters are on the way to me:

49mm
B+W 2x (0.3) F-Pro MRC Solid Neutral Density Filter [1-stop]
B+W 8x (0.9) F-Pro MRC Solid Neutral Density Filter [3-stop]

58mm
B+W 2x (0.3) F-Pro MRC Solid Neutral Density Filter [1-stop]
Marumi Polarizer Exus Circular Polarizer
02-11-2019, 12:49 PM - 4 Likes   #15352
Veteran Member

From The Drawers of Monochrome!

A lovely little Limited! A SMC DA 21 F/3.2 From Forum member @Monochrome . Waiting for the temperature to equalize before I mount it since it sat on the porch in very cold conditions for several hours.
I just love it when a new lens comes to the house! Seven (7) SMUs high with hood mounted.

Attached Images

02-11-2019, 01:16 PM - 2 Likes   #15353
Veteran Member

lol cookies are a good standard of measurement if you can resist the temptation to eat them while measuring (
02-11-2019, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #15354
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just acquired our new membership cards from the " Friends of the Topeka Zoo " it came attached to the form I mentioned here:

Your latest acquisition - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

so not only guests get a copy at the zoo, members get it too

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-11-2019 at 02:45 PM.
02-11-2019, 06:16 PM - 5 Likes   #15355
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
lol cookies are a good standard of measurement if you can resist the temptation to eat them while measuring (

cookies are the best standard of measurement; they are the Standard Measuring Unit (SMU)...
02-12-2019, 11:51 AM - 2 Likes   #15356
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

decided, based on comments in another thread -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/38207...ml#post4561859

to grab some Ruggard fold over lens cases

used fabric paint pen to mark them
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.
02-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #15357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
decided, based on comments in another thread -

Ruggard Neprene Lens cases - PentaxForums.com

to grab some Ruggard fold over lens cases

used fabric paint pen to mark them
wow good idea.....hrrrmmm ....oh and nice collection
02-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #15358
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thank you

decided to do it in case I am carrying lenses around in a vest or jacket instead of a back pack which has protective padding

as far as the collection goes - my wife has been very nice to me

and LBA/GAS has hit me hard from time to time

a lot of the lenses were " experienced " purchased from members via the forum or if new purchased while on sale.
02-12-2019, 04:44 PM - 3 Likes   #15359
Pentaxian

I just recently got a used OS Bigma from buyee Japan to replace my older, even more used non-OS Bigma. So far I really like the new-er lens. And I got a D-BG5 battery grip. Sorry, no SMU's. I threw them out because they were all at least 3 years old.
02-12-2019, 06:37 PM - 2 Likes   #15360
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even money lens swap

Out: DA20~40 LIMITED Silver
In: DA* 16~50/2.8 Screwdrive Converted

(and so it begins)