Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2019, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #15406
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I feel your pain. I mean your pain is same as my pain!
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Seems to ba a room on the lower left and upper right . . . . .
And that central bay on the middle shelf... the smaller lenses could cozy up tighter to the left to make room for a whole new column of goodies.

02-15-2019, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #15407
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
And that central bay on the middle shelf... the smaller lenses could cozy up tighter to the left to make room for a whole new column of goodies.
Aren't we the helpful bunch? All the ways to make room for what SWMBO has forbidden and so that it's all hidden among what you already have. Problem solved – unless, of course, SWMBO reconciles the bank account ...
02-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #15408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Talking to all who commented . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Aren't we the helpful bunch? All the ways to make room for what SWMBO has forbidden and so that it's all hidden among what you already have. Problem solved – unless, of course, SWMBO reconciles the bank account ...
Yes, there is some vacant space, but that space on the lower left is where my K-1,used to take the photo, normally reposes. I made room earlier this week by moving all my film cameras, except the 645N, to a different shelf outside this repurposed white French Provencial dining room hutch. I have about all the Pentax 645 and 67 lenses I plan to get, but may pick up a few of the better full-frame lenses for the K-1. Most of the lenses that I still want to acquire are at prices north of $1,000, so this has slowed me down quite a bit. Well, there are several Takumars I would like to have, and I was just reading about a couple of the Russian lenses, and some of those old Tomiokas , well, you know how it goes.
02-15-2019, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #15409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
they are fun litrle cams. how are you rml

OK, Eddie, apart from not getting much photo done, between eyes and a period of time without a reliable computer to do photo with, and a lot more physically to do, which is generally good, if also often in the way of slinging cameras. (But that's why I got the little metal compact and optical finder and all. ) I've been a bit lurkey and sometimes chatting on car threads. But busier is happier for me than being kinda stuck in a chair most of the day.

02-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #15410
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Plenty of room for more cameras and lenses Ivan.
02-15-2019, 08:11 PM - 5 Likes   #15411
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I need to print some of these " collection " photos so I can prove to the wife ( who has been very good to me without a doubt ) that I don't have a large collection of gear
If my wife sees what goes on in these forums I'm done
02-15-2019, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #15412
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Your pain seems to being treated under private care whilst mine languishes in the public system

02-16-2019, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #15413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey! Maybe nothing incredibly special, but I'm happy with having scraped up for a used Fuji X20 for my pocket, (well, any large pockets, but I wear a lot of those.)

I'm hoping to really start shooting again after a period of a lot of back pain and eyesight/migraine trouble really blunting my enthusiasm, (Also the fact that most of the rest of what I do can't really be done slinging a full-sized camera kit, but I'm kinda hoping to also use this to get myself back into film. ) I'm already loving the optical finder: it shows information and focus targeting, and some idea of framing, but works for me even if I'm too dayblind to read one of those darn screens or have been wearing my reading glasses too much.

Even got a black one, which doesn't really matter much, but when I was a young photog gal, having a lot of 'chrome' bodies had annoying status implications I coulda done without, even if they're seen as kinda special and old-school now. Also got the OEM slotted lens hood: I'm surprised the slots aren't anywhere near as helpfully-shaped as they should be, but I may consider putting it on the drill press if I can set up a jig and bit I can be confident about.

Anyway, I should be popping up on the compact cameras board again, soon. Especially cause I didn't get a manual.
Good luck with your new camera. I've never tried their compacts but the APS-C cameras from Fujifilm are great fun to shoot with.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the second of the three arrivals this week:

and the money shot:

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
on the measuring table today:

(I thought the Tak 55/1.8 I have was dainty...)
Very nice.

Looks to me like you've got plenty of space in there still that needs to be filled up.

For my part, I got some cheap third party extension tubes for my Fujifilm cameras which allow for AF and full lens control. Putting both of them between the camera and my little 18mm f/2 allows focusing almost touching the front lens element.
02-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #15414
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Good luck with your new camera. I've never tried their compacts but the APS-C cameras from Fujifilm are great fun to shoot with.

Yeah, I can tell the bigger sensor would be a lot nicer for the often-low-lightey shooting I like to do, but something like the x100 series is probably a bit over the line as far as stretching the 'pocket camera I can work with' parameter goes. Also I think they still cost more than I could get like a K-5II or something for and just do the one-lens-carry option if I have to sling something on a strap all the time anyway. I do think the bigger ones are just that cool, though.

And, well, maybe I'll see if people still seem so crabby about getting real cameras pointed at them as they used to around here. Which is silly, cause there's like two cameras on every damn smartphone and all these days. This will definitely work much better for me than borrowed smartphone cameras, which are just embarrassing by the time I try to see the screens and get them to focus where I want and trigger at a good time and all those little things you get with, say, a real shutter release and all.
02-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #15415
Veteran Member

Yeah, I can tell the bigger sensor would be a lot nicer for the often-low-lightey shooting I like to do, but something like the x100 series is probably a bit over the line as far as stretching the 'pocket camera I can work with' parameter goes. Also I think they still cost more than I could get like a K-5II or something for and just do the one-lens-carry option if I have to sling something on a strap all the time anyway. I do think the bigger ones are just that cool, though.

And, well, maybe I'll see if people still seem so crabby about getting real cameras pointed at them as they used to around here. Which is silly, cause there's like two cameras on every damn smartphone and all these days. This will definitely work much better for me than borrowed smartphone cameras, which are just embarrassing by the time I try to see the screens and get them to focus where I want and trigger at a good time and all those little things you get with, say, a real shutter release and all.
trying the x20 out left me with the itch to get the x100. i finally got the x100t about a year ago. In the intervening time i barely touched another camera. ... but they still sell in the 899 canadian ballpark with accessories so quite a jump from the x20
i have seen nice used x100s for 500 or so canadian if you get tempted. (an xe series with the 18 f2 is also an amazing walkabout setup)

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2019 at 13:21 ----------

oh and if my experience is anything to go on they will still be crabby
02-16-2019, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #15416
Pentaxian

i got a superb 50 1.4 tak on potobello for a fiver a few years back on vacation
My best there was a manual focus Zeiss T* Planar 50mm 1:1.4 with Nikon chip on another stall - for a tenner! It had a small scratch on the rear element, but I was still able to sell it for £100+

And last November I picked up a huge lot of gear from someone else who wanted to close down for the day - an Optomax 500mm f8 T-mount lens, an Optomax 300mm f5.6 M42 auto aperture, Hanimex 28mm f2.8 M42, a Cherry-Phago 2x converter, and a dead Praktica body, all for £15.

But these are VERY exceptional - most of the dealers there are badly overpriced, especially at the Kensington end of the market.

No photographic bargains today, I was at an SF con, but I did pick up a small wheeled case on the way home - I'm going to be flying to Dublin later this year and Ryanair charge more for checked luggage than for the actual flight, so I needed a bag that falls within the Ryanair definition of carry-on luggage. Won't be flying until August, but I have a couple of weekend conventions before then, and it'll give me a chance to see how much I can get into the thing without going over the airline's limits.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 02-16-2019 at 04:10 PM.
02-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #15417
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
My best there was a manual focus Zeiss T* Planar 50mm 1:1.4 with Nikon chip on another stall - for a tenner! It had a small scratch on the rear element, but I was still able to sell it for £100+

And last November I picked up a huge lot of gear from someone else who wanted to close down for the day - an Optomax 500mm f8 T-mount lens, an Optomax 300mm f5.6 M42 auto aperture, Hanimex 28mm f2.8 M42, a Cherry-Phago 2x converter, and a dead Praktica body, all for £15.

But these are VERY exceptional - most of the dealers there are badly overpriced, especially at the Kensington end of the market.
yeah you need to know the prices.

02-17-2019, 05:27 AM - 2 Likes   #15418
Pentaxian

The packages with my Samyang 85mm f/1.4 in Samsung NX mount finally arrived. Also in the box was a rubber lens hood (the flimsy plastic that comes with as standard remained in the box) and three 72mm Bower UV filters.
02-17-2019, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #15419
Pentaxian

Nice weather for a change, and I got a few car boot sale goodies - including a Pentax item!

An Agfa Sillette 35mm camera - shutter seems to be stuck open, but only cost £2 and ought to sell for more even for spares/repairs.
A late model cheapo plastic Beirette 35mm camera, working, for £0.50
A Diana F+ 120 Lomography camera, working, for £2
A Sweex USB memory card reader with cable for £2
And a nice clean boxed Pentax microscope adapter in M42 fitting for £4

Hoping this is a sign of better things to come if the weather continues to Improve.
02-17-2019, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #15420
Veteran Member

trying the x20 out left me with the itch to get the x100. i finally got the x100t about a year ago. In the intervening time i barely touched another camera. ... but they still sell in the 899 canadian ballpark with accessories so quite a jump from the x20
i have seen nice used x100s for 500 or so canadian if you get tempted. (an xe series with the 18 f2 is also an amazing walkabout setup)
Yeah, they do seem worth the extra money, not that I had that much anyway, but in this case the need really is for a more pocket-sized camera with a finder I can use in the bright, rather than 'Best pseudo-rangefinder I can get' anyway, so if I think of this as much more capable than many pocket camera options rather than like a lesser x100, I don't feel deprived.

Also I did a bit of casual shooting last night at the pub: I think I'll pretty much get along with this little guy just fine. The OVF with the information overlay is really working for my eyesight issues.