Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #15481

Chinon CP-9AF with 35-135mm lens

Hello all,
I just bought a Chinon CP-9AF fitted with a 35-135mm zoom lens. My interest in making the purchase was mainly in acquiring the lens: it was the first time I have ever seen one for sale. I already have two such cameras, and 28-70mm lenses and a 70-210mm zoom lens.
My main purpose in subscribing to this thread is to seek information from some of the well-informed subscribers here. I have seen other posts that stated that Chinon lenses were made by other companies e.g. Chinon and Tomioka. (I had never even heard of Tomioka.)

What are the fact in this regards?

Can anyone please give me a good reference, to answer my question?
Thanks for any help.

02-23-2019, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #15482
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Hello all,
I just bought a Chinon CP-9AF fitted with a 35-135mm zoom lens. My interest in making the purchase was mainly in acquiring the lens: it was the first time I have ever seen one for sale. I already have two such cameras, and 28-70mm lenses and a 70-210mm zoom lens.
My main purpose in subscribing to this thread is to seek information from some of the well-informed subscribers here. I have seen other posts that stated that Chinon lenses were made by other companies e.g. Chinon and Tomioka. (I had never even heard of Tomioka.)

Thanks for any help.
Information about the camera here

Chinon CP-9AF - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

If there isn't a user review on these forums your best source for this may be the lens database:

Lens Database

That seems to have two 35-135 lenses listed but neither of them are chinon

Sigma - The Sigma AF 35-135 mm f/ 3.5-4.5 Lens. Specs. MTF Charts. User Reviews.
Quantaray - The Quantaray Tech-10 MX AF 35-135 mm f/ 4-5.6 Lens. Specs. MTF Charts. User Reviews.

If your lens resembles either of these that might be a good starting point. But without details such as the aperture and a picture of the lens identification is very difficult, there are a lot of manufacturers, and a lot of companies that use lenses made by other companies - all Vivitars were made by other companies, for instance.
02-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #15483

Thanks for your response, Marcus Rowland.
I knew the camera-wiki info already. Nothing in the Lens Database is an exact match for the Chinon 35-135mm lens I have. I knew already from online searches that it is very rare. The Sigma lens is similar in appearance but certainly does not have the same AF mount.
I did note in the Lens Database that my other two Chinon AF lenses are included. However, there is no associated manufacturer information.
02-23-2019, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #15484
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My DA* 16-50 still has working SDM after 11 years of faithful service. My 50-135 died. In a snit I sold it off. Not much later I regretted doing that. It would have been fine as a manual lens, and as an 85-230 semi-AF using the AFA1.7x. And now it could easily be using screw drive on the K-3.

Re the bet: I wonder if you are into landscapes – if you are I can heartily recommend the DA 12-24/4.
I have the screw drive 16-50 in hand. The focus is plenty fast and the images are just fine. The 50-135 arrives Monday. I’ve wanted one of those since 2006. It is a shame that the DFA lenses are just too big and heavy to use for long periods, but I love using K lenses on the K-1 and the KP is more than enough camera for how I use it.

I think the KP doesn’t get nearly enough credit for how good it is. If we ever get any sun light here I’ll break out the K10D for the DA*s for old times’ sake.

I’ll keep an eye out for a 12-24, but I’m culling, and budgeting for the 11-18. In essence I’ll be back to APSc as my main format.

02-23-2019, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #15485
Pentaxian

I just picked up a PK mount Vivitar (Komine) 135mm f2.8. I had been a bit disappointed with the sharpness of my M135/3.5, so I was looking for a 135 lens to compare but which is shorter and lighter than my Adaptall 135/f2.5. First few shots look really good and seem sharper than the M135, I may be able to test more in the next day or two. The Vivitar was sold as having very slight fungus, but that is hard to find (it is only on one side of one element and definitely does not compromise the sharpness for a crop sensor) so was very reasonably priced.

Another 40 year old lens (1976-82 V5 according to the review page) to use on my 2017 camera! Adds to my set of great-performing fully manual lenses: Tokina 17mm, K50mm/f1.8, M28mm/f3.5, Tamron 52BB 90mm, A100mm and M200mm.
02-23-2019, 09:39 PM - 2 Likes   #15486
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
I have seen other posts that stated that Chinon lenses were made by other companies e.g. Chinon and Tomioka. (I had never even heard of Tomioka.)

Thanks for any help.
Search for lens-specific (for example Chinon 50/1.7) on manual focus lenses forums - Chinon and Tomioka?

I know I have a 50/1.7 Chinon that is awesome - no A/M switch so I epoxy-ed the M42 pin (couldn't figure how to open it from the back to do the plastic ring trick to the m42 pin) - that is an awesome little lens - tomioka or not, I do not loose sleep over it - it is good to know maybe for resale purposes.

02-24-2019, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #15487

I've been looking for a longer lens to use with the K1 for wildlife and the likes - it's not something I wanted to splash a lot of cash as it's not a primary type of photography for me, but I did want AF as I'm not getting any younger! Anyway what looks like a decent copy of the Sigma 135-400 came up on Ebay for about £180 so I've snapped that up and am looking forward to it arriving next week.

02-24-2019, 06:21 AM   #15488

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
I just picked up a PK mount Vivitar (Komine) 135mm f2.8. I had been a bit disappointed with the sharpness of my M135/3.5, so I was looking for a 135 lens to compare but which is shorter and lighter than my Adaptall 135/f2.5. First few shots look really good and seem sharper than the M135, I may be able to test more in the next day or two. The Vivitar was sold as having very slight fungus, but that is hard to find (it is only on one side of one element and definitely does not compromise the sharpness for a crop sensor) so was very reasonably priced.

Another 40 year old lens (1976-82 V5 according to the review page) to use on my 2017 camera! Adds to my set of great-performing fully manual lenses: Tokina 17mm, K50mm/f1.8, M28mm/f3.5, Tamron 52BB 90mm, A100mm and M200mm.
I have one of those Myself ( Vivitar Komine 135 2.8)
GOT it at a resale shop for $25 Had been declicked on aperature ring but works very well on my K10D's And My Canon 600D as well
Enjoy........
02-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #15489

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Search for lens-specific (for example Chinon 50/1.7) on manual focus lenses forums - Chinon and Tomioka?

I know I have a 50/1.7 Chinon that is awesome - no A/M switch so I epoxy-ed the M42 pin (couldn't figure how to open it from the back to do the plastic ring trick to the m42 pin) - that is an awesome little lens - tomioka or not, I do not loose sleep over it - it is good to know maybe for resale purposes.
Many thanks, Edom31, for the information and link!
02-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #15490
Pentaxian

Another very good day at the car boot mines, it's a bright warm day and I think a lot of dealers have come out of hibernation. Almost all M42 stuff:

Optomax 135mm f2.8 auto stopdown, badly dented filter ring but otherwise OK
Industar 50/3.5 - focus is stiff but otherwise OK
Tele Kennex (a badge name, I think, looks like every other cheap lens of its type) 200/3.5 auto stopdown - needs a clean but don't think it has fungus, otherwise OK
A very nice Helios 44M 58mm/2 - a bit stiff focusing but otherwise very good
An Edixa Reflex-B with pentaprism and a Rolmax (another badge name) manual aperture 35/3.5 - shutter is working, haven't tested anything else yet
a Lomography Pop Cam - the one with four teeny frames on 35mm, with a different colour filter for each frame
and an Olympus hood which clamps onto the outside of the filter - for various zooms, 50mm 1.4 and 1.8, etc.

Total spend £25.70 which I'm VERY pleased with.
02-24-2019, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #15491
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of recent acquisitions...

First, an Aputure AL-MX lighting panel. Very neat and well made unit, allowing stepped colour temperature from 2800 - 6500K (CRI >= 95%, TLCI >=95%) and 2400 lux at 0.3m. I bought mine to light colour charts for camera profile creation, and I'm really very impressed with it. I recommend visiting the website and watching the video to show how it's being used for video (its primary use case, though one I'm not particularly interested in).

Next, another Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone). I have two of these already, one of which has become my camera of choice, even though I own much newer cameras. The first was a very low shutter count example when I acquired it (ex-demo, < 300 actuations), though I've put a few miles on it since I bought the second as a backup, also with low shutter count (< 3,000 if I remember correctly), and that stays mostly in my cupboard for if and when the first one dies. I didn't really need a third, but I just snagged one on eBay that looks and is described to be in really excellent condition, with just under 3,000 shutter actuations, still boxed with charger and original battery, and at a very favourable price indeed (somewhat less than I paid for either of my others). The only issues mentioned are a few dust specs in the viewfinder prism (which I should be able to sort out easily, but no problem if I can't), and a couple of very minor marks on the LCD screen - so minor, they're not even visible in the auction photos, so I'm sure I can live with those. Anyway, I'm more than well stocked on the GX-10 now... If this one turns out to be nearly as good as the first two, I don't think I'll ever need to buy another. It's the only camera I really wouldn't ever want to be without, so having spare units is a nice feeling

[First photo below is of my AL-MX light with the diffuser removed. Second is one of the seller's numerous photos of the GX I have incoming]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ62  Photo   

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-24-2019 at 03:02 PM.
02-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #15492
Veteran Member

lens progression

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The DFA ZOOMS are just to bulky and heavy for me to use with K-1, so I’m selling them this weekend, I’ll convert to the DA* ZOOMS with the KP, since the Accelerator Chip makes indoor grandchild snaps much better without flash. The K-1 will be for the manual lenses only, which was the original plan.

Recently acquired used
  1. DA*16~50/2.8 screwdrive (It’s plenty fast focusing) - really old serial number.
  2. DA*50~135/2.8 working SDM MIB
Bet you can’t guess what’s coming next
Ummm, 136?
02-24-2019, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #15493
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Wish me luck

just bought from Ebay a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 500mm f/8 Mirror (55BB)

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 500mm f/8 Mirror (55BB) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

looking for any advice, suggestions, and guidance

first Tamron Adaptall and first mirror lens

but please no " negative waves "

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-24-2019 at 06:07 PM.
02-24-2019, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #15494
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
A couple of recent acquisitions...

First, an Aputure AL-MX lighting panel. Very neat and well made unit, allowing stepped colour temperature from 2800 - 6500K (CRI >= 95%, TLCI >=95%) and 2400 lux at 0.3m. I bought mine to light colour charts for camera profile creation, and I'm really very impressed with it. I recommend visiting the website and watching the video to show how it's being used for video (its primary use case, though one I'm not particularly interested in).

Next, another Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone). I have two of these already, one of which has become my camera of choice, even though I own much newer cameras. The first was a very low shutter count example when I acquired it (ex-demo, < 300 actuations), though I've put a few miles on it since I bought the second as a backup, also with low shutter count (< 3,000 if I remember correctly), and that stays mostly in my cupboard for if and when the first one dies. I didn't really need a third, but I just snagged one on eBay that looks and is described to be in really excellent condition, with just under 3,000 shutter actuations, still boxed with charger and original battery, and at a very favourable price indeed (somewhat less than I paid for either of my others). The only issues mentioned are a few dust specs in the viewfinder prism (which I should be able to sort out easily, but no problem if I can't), and a couple of very minor marks on the LCD screen - so minor, they're not even visible in the auction photos, so I'm sure I can live with those. Anyway, I'm more than well stocked on the GX-10 now... If this one turns out to be nearly as good as the first two, I don't think I'll ever need to buy another. It's the only camera I really wouldn't ever want to be without, so having spare units is a nice feeling

[First photo below is of my AL-MX light with the diffuser removed. Second is one of the seller's numerous photos of the GX I have incoming]
Very cool----Aputure....
02-24-2019, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #15495
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As mirrored lenses go these are pretty good. Not a Vivitar Catadioptric (Perkin Elmer solid glass - not mirrored), but still pretty good.

I need to use a tripod, need a ton of light, it is never as sharp as I want, and kind of a bugger to focus with OVF - I LV max mag. You’ll be OK. You’ll laugh when you see the giant onion bokeh.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-24-2019 at 06:44 PM.