Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2019, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #15511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
Sigma 18-35 1.8 arrived today.
I've really been impressed with mine. Other than its size and weight it's been an all positive experience for me - hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine!

02-27-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #15512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax glass arrived for me today. Two pairs of binoculars.

First pair is a set of Pentax 8x25 A-Series AD WP Compact Binoculars. Pretty good glass for the price. Water proof to 3 meters or so. Pretty clear center image with a bit of CA towards the edges. Not bad for $95. Solidly built. As usual. front caps are a marketing ploy that will probably escape the first time I take them into the wild.

Second pair is a set of Pentax 10x43 Z-Series ZD ED Binoculars. These normally list for $1099 USD but B&H has had them on sale for awhile now for $599. Too good a price to pass up on a set this good. They are certainly the best pair I have ever owned. Snowing out right now so hard to say how good they actually are.

Also today a new compact tripod arrived. It is a Fotopro X-GO Max with FPH-62Q Ball Head. As a tripod it seems to be pretty good. The ball head is about what I expected. Works fine. The monopod feature is a total bust. When you assemble the monopod there is only about 1 1/2 threads of screw capture. I would not trust it as a walking stick and certainly not with a camera mounted on it. There are two 5 Star reviews of it on the B&H and eight 5 Star and one 4 Star review on the Adorama web sites. I will be keeping it as it will work fine as a tripod.

It came with a small flexible leg tripod that works great and a tripod stool that is supposedly rated for 250 pounds (113 Kg). I tried the stool and it does support me, but I am not sure how long it will last. So it looks like the grandkids are getting a new stool.

02-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #15513
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Water proof to 3 meters or so.
Why would one want to use binoculars under water?
02-27-2019, 02:03 PM - 3 Likes   #15514
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well, they will get used at a lake and I WILL drop them in the water so just hedging my bets here.

Last edited by gaweidert; 02-27-2019 at 07:21 PM.
02-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #15515
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New Pentax glass arrived for me today. Two pairs of binoculars.

First pair is a set of Pentax 8x25 A-Series AD WP Compact Binoculars. Pretty good glass for the price. Water proof to 3 meters or so. Pretty clear center image with a bit of CA towards the edges. Not bad for $95. Solidly built. As usual. front caps are a marketing ploy that will probably escape the first time I take them into the wild.

Second pair is a set of Pentax 10x43 Z-Series ZD ED Binoculars. These normally list for $1099 USD but B&H has had them on sale for awhile now for $599. Too good a price to pass up on a set this good. They are certainly the best pair I have ever owned. Snowing out right now so hard to say how good they actually are.

Also today a new compact tripod arrived. It is a Fotopro X-GO Max with FPH-62Q Ball Head. As a tripod it seems to be pretty good. The ball head is about what I expected. Works fine. The monopod feature is a total bust. When you assemble the monopod there is only about 1 1/2 threads of screw capture. I would not trust it as a walking stick and certainly not with a camera mounted on it. There are two 5 Star reviews of it on the B&H and eight 5 Star and one 4 Star review on the Adorama web sites. I will be keeping it as it will work fine as a tripod.

It came with a small flexible leg tripod that works great and a tripod stool that is supposedly rated for 250 pounds (113 Kg). I tried the stool and it does support me, but I am not sure how long it will last. So it looks like the grandkids are getting a new stool.
The 10x43 ZD’s are tripod mountable with the adapter (can be found on eBay best, but a few hunting departments have them).
02-27-2019, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #15516
Pentaxian

A new 64gb Transcend SD card. I've never tried this brand before, I hope it's OK.
02-28-2019, 03:15 AM   #15517
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A new 64gb Transcend SD card. I've never tried this brand before, I hope it's OK.
Has been ok for me in smaller sizes from several years ago. Still using.

02-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #15518

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Since Mariuz "forgot" to translate it, and so I had to use Google Translate, this is what the above appears to say:

"I had similar, after replacing, put the device in such a position that the cables and the router itself would not be touched during cleaning"

For my part, I would add that the old switch was about 8-9 yrs old and the router was about 5&1/2 yrs old, and both have had to be moved a lot over time to get into/behind the small space in which they are located - thus the cables probably got moved/twisted more than most would normally do.

OTOH, never had anything as bad as that (4x RJ45s on the router, and connections to all of them are now very "iffy") - ATM, I have just 1 RJ-45 cable from the router to the new 8-way switch and "everything" seems to be "working", but both I & SWMBO are being very careful not to even touch anything in that area until the replacement router arrives (hopefully) tomorrow and I can change them over.
696/5000

Goggles gives a slightly lame translation.
In order to achieve a possible close translation, I do it at least two times - first to English and then to Polish. It is only when both contents agree that I can publish. Sometimes, however, I forget and the effect can be seen above.
You write about a smaller place for devices. Regardless of the undoubtedly higher quality of the new router, you must provide it with good cooling.
This should not be closed place. It is better to fasten it flat on the wall. If the cables at the terminals are damaged, then replace the new terminals and the problem should disappear. If the contacts in the tips are dark, wash them with isopropyl alkochol. Remember: Ethyl alcohol is for other purposes.
03-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #15519
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
how else would you track a loon continuously ?

my most recent acquisition, a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 500mm f/8 Mirror (55BB) coming from a seller in Canada, has cleared customs and been placed into the USPS system according to the tracking system
03-01-2019, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #15520
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That exact card has been just fine for me.
03-01-2019, 09:23 AM - 5 Likes   #15521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My gently used Tamron Adaptall 300mm f2.8 monster arrived recently. I came with the Pentax and Nikon mounts, good since in addition to my Pentax stable I have a Nikon F 2 and F 3. Also came with Tamron's 1.4 teleconverter, all housed in a handsome carrying case. This sucker is HEAVY! Tamron provided a rotating tripod collar, and two attachment points for a neck strap. I'll post some pix later.
03-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #15522
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
My gently used Tamron Adaptall 300mm f2.8 monster arrived recently. I came with the Pentax and Nikon mounts, good since in addition to my Pentax stable I have a Nikon F 2 and F 3. Also came with Tamron's 1.4 teleconverter, all housed in a handsome carrying case. This sucker is HEAVY! Tamron provided a rotating tripod collar, and two attachment points for a neck strap. I'll post some pix later.
That outfit (and the longer ones) has been on my wishlist for a very long time.
03-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #15523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
You should like the lens. I had one. Got it new in 1991 . Love the strap attachment points. They should be on all large telephoto lenses.

When I took a 13 hiatus from photography it sat in a closet. Not my wisest move. Got a lot of fungus and could not be repaired. I sent it out to a place in Colorado and they tried several different strategies over 5 months to get the front element retaining rings loose. None worked. Had to toss it. OUCH!!!!
03-01-2019, 11:46 AM   #15524
Veteran Member

You should like the lens. I had one. Got it new in 1991 . Love the strap attachment points. They should be on all large telephoto lenses.

When I took a 13 hiatus from photography it sat in a closet. Not my wisest move. Got a lot of fungus and could not be repaired. I sent it out to a place in Colorado and they tried several different strategies over 5 months to get the front element retaining rings loose. None worked. Had to toss it. OUCH!!!!

yow, that is painful
03-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #15525
Pentaxian

A job lot of 18 lenses - haven't checked them properly yet, but I paid about £3.50 each and they include Minolta, Canon, and Nikon AF zooms, a Rolleiflex-fit teleconverter with lens for the viewfinder, a T-mount 400mm, and some other fun stuff so I ought to make a decent profit. Unfortunately the canon zoom has slight fungus in the front element, but everything else looks OK on first inspection.