Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #15916
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have the SMC-F 28-80. Not my favourite lens, but it's detail and rendering is actually pretty good too.
Yeah, I've heard the SMC F28-80 is good. I know it has a more complex optical formula than the non-SMC version and is considered much better optically. I'm fond of my non-SMC version, but it definitely shows its age on digital

There's a lot ot be said for these old film era lenses.
As a general rule (with exceptions, of course), I prefer them, Mark. I know many of them can't leverage the full benefit of today's higher resolution sensors, but I like the rendering. I can totally understand why folks prefer the latest uber-corrected sharp-across-the-frame-at-all-apertures glass... but a lot of film-era lenses can take really great photos if used wisely...

The 35-70mm is good for macro too. And then, if you want to go next level, mount it, set to macro focus and reverse a 50mm onto it and you can get super close to stuff!
Ha ha Cool For now, I'll just use it as a walk-around lens, but I'm looking forward to pushing it a little too

04-10-2019, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #15917
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As a general rule (with exceptions, of course), I prefer them, Mark. I know many of them can't leverage the full benefit of today's higher resolution sensors, but I like the rendering. I can totally understand why folks prefer the latest uber-corrected sharp-across-the-frame-at-all-apertures glass... but a lot of film-era lenses can take really great photos if used wisely...
Often, it's all my budget can afford!
04-11-2019, 12:46 AM   #15918
Pentaxian

A Focal MC 2X tele converter (with Ricoh pin).
I'll compare it to my Ryka tele converter, whatever one is worse will be made into an auto extension tube.
04-11-2019, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #15919
Pentaxian

A couple of nice little lenses came through the door in the last few days...

First up, a Pentax-F 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 ...
This is an unbeatable bang-for-the-buck small zoom lens. I really liked mine on the K-5/K-3, but I haven't shot it much on the K-1 ... so, there's a to-do item added for this summer.

Also, the LOMO T-43 looks pretty cool. I had seen this a while back and was quite interested. Let us know what you think later on ... Salut, J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-11-2019 at 03:10 AM.
04-11-2019, 02:51 AM   #15920
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
K-mount soviet lenses are not that rare.

Two I can think of off hand
  • Helios 44K-4
  • Zenitar-K2 50/2
The bodies are less common, but they aren't too difficult to find on eBay or similar channels.
I don't think there can have been much distribution in Britain; I see several M42 Zenit bodies and Helios lenses a month, I've never seen a PK version - nor the Nikon version, though I knew about that one.
04-11-2019, 04:09 AM - 2 Likes   #15921
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
This is an unbeatable bang-for-the-buck small zoom lens. I really liked mine on the K-5/K-3, but I haven't shot it much on the K-1 ... so, there's a to-do item added for this summer.

Also, the LOMO T-43 looks pretty cool. I had seen this a while back and was quite interested. Let us know what you think later on ... Salut, J
Thanks, John

The T-43 is lovely. I think it's going to be a lot of fun to shoot with. Wide open, the centre is sharp, borders less so (and corners poor), it vignettes like crazy, and has a tendency to swirl the background somewhat (so there's clearly some internal vignetting). Here's a couple of test shots taken in the garden a little earlier today...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
04-11-2019, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #15922
Pentaxian

First up, a Pentax-F 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 in excellent condition, physically, optically and mechanically. I've been tempted to try one of these for a while, as @MarkJerling uses one and gets really nice results with his. But I kept holding off for quite a long time, until a few days ago when an inexpensive example (GBP £25 / USD $32 shipped) complete with original caps cropped up on eBay, so I pulled the trigger.

I've read mixed reports on this lens... some love it, others aren't impressed, but it mostly appears to be copy variation at play. Thankfully, this one seems like a great copy, as it's very decent at all focal lengths (including the macro setting) - surprisingly sharp wide open (after dialling in -5 AF fine adjustment on my K-3), but even better stopped down a little, and the rendering is very pleasant. It has the usual vicious F-series focusing gear ratio, but focuses quickly as a result. Plus, it's compact, solid and... well, just cute I like it
I probably wouldn't use it much having the 28-105, but that 35-70 is one lens I'd like to own. I've always really, really liked the look of the F lenses, but have never found one cheap. I couldn't justify spending 100 CAD on it.

If I'm honest, I did have one for a while. I once purchased a SF1 that came with an F50 F1.7 (at the time were these lenses were popular, and more expensive than nowadays) and an F35-70. I kept the 50 for a long while, and promptly sold the SF1 and 35-70 to a fellow forum member, for a low price. I probably shouldn't have done that but I didn't know what I had in my hands at the time. It's probably one of the very few lenses I regret selling.

04-11-2019, 06:16 AM - 3 Likes   #15923
Pentaxian

Nikon D7000 arrived and is good, though I'm going to wait until I'm a bit more used to it before selling on the old D90. It does do focus confirmation on non-CPU lenses, though I think the long zoom confuses it a bit at 500mm, probably because that's F8 at maximum extension. I'm going to check on the Nikon forums for that, see if there's a fix, but I doubt it. I can do it reasonably well by eye anyway, the metering part is more important and that works well.

later - camera is fine, but since I rarely use an 18-55 on Nikon I forgot to check that; it turns out that it's an AF-P lens, which isn't supported by anything made before 2013, and the D7000 dates from 2010. It won't focus, not even manually. I'm hoping that someone just packed the wrong lens and they have the right one in stock. Failing that, I've asked for a partial refund, we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 04-11-2019 at 12:11 PM.
04-11-2019, 06:36 AM - 5 Likes   #15924
Pentaxian

As I mentioned, last Sunday at Poitiers' annual photo swap meet I found an Olympus mju II in a "junk box" for 1€ ... with a new battery from the home, it went out for a spin. (x-post from B&W film thread)

Fomapan 100 home developed in Caffenol CL stand (70 min.) with Epson V600 scan plus some Lr4 torture to my tastes ... What a great lil' street camera ... highly recommended.

04-11-2019, 12:14 PM - 3 Likes   #15925
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Same camera as the Rollei 35RF 1981 model. Produced by Nittō Kōgaku to Rollie design & specs. Camera-wiki says production was limited to 12,000 units of each brand.

Name:  _IGP6173.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  356.4 KB

These were a cheaper follow on to the Voigtländer VF 135/Rollei XF35. Those cameras had a 40mm f2.3 Sonnar (5 elements 4 groups) but this one has a 38mm f2.8 (4 elements 3 groups) and fewer shutter speeds...It does use AA batteries rather than 1.35v mercury batteries because of the built-in flash...

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.
04-11-2019, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #15926
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have never understood those that do not love that little stack of primes. It's small, sharp, renders well, has a quasi-macro, and is cheap. If you don't like it I'll give it a home, but I expect you will find a place for it in your bag. Congrats!
Thanks, Doc I expected it to be "quite nice", but I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be. 35mm on APS-C is a common focal length for me, and since this lens isn't much different in size to the DA35/2.4, I can see it being a very enjoyable walk-around lens with the advantage of longer focal lengths (where it definitely performs better than I expected). So, apologies, but I don't believe I'll be letting it go
04-11-2019, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #15927
Pentaxian

Thanks, Doc I expected it to be "quite nice", but I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be. 35mm on APS-C is a common focal length for me, and since this lens isn't much different in size to the DA35/2.4, I can see it being a very enjoyable walk-around lens with the advantage of longer focal lengths (where it definitely performs better than I expected). So, apologies, but I don't believe I'll be letting it go
I have one of these F 35-70 and I am amazed how sharp it is at MFD and in Macro. Over the next week, I will be comparing to a A35-70 f4 (from a local pawnshop) and my much-loved Tamron SP35-80, as well as an ugly dirty FA35-80, also from a pawnshop.

I picked up a F 35-105 same time as the F35-70, which is not quite as sharp but the extra reach does not come with much extra weight. The F series lenses really do sound like they are working hard when focusing, but the focus is extremely accurate.

I really can live without all five of these, considering I also have the 16-85 and the 18-135, as well as the flimsy but optically-excellent 16-45.

Last edited by Gary H Perth; 04-11-2019 at 04:11 PM.
04-11-2019, 05:37 PM - 2 Likes   #15928
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikonos III body (EX) with 35/2.5 (BGN) lens from KEH.

Topcon 35JL fixed-lens RF camera from an eBay seller in Japan.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-12-2019 at 04:14 PM.
04-12-2019, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #15929
Pentaxian

58mm Marumi achromat +3. Will go with a number of legacy zooms with a rather long cfd.
04-12-2019, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #15930
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Birthday present for wife's conference room at work

( she has the video of the scene on her phone, and people asked why no photo of it on the wall, so she asked me for it )

as always the SMU are for scaling purposes only [ darn diet ]

24 " x 36 " stretched canvas print

original photo was taken in the Serengeti in July 2016 using a K 5 II + Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Tele-Macro [1:2] (Model 772D)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-12-2019 at 09:36 AM.