Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2019, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #16246
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

A "new" (3yrs old) PC for sat stuff and other experiments: - HP ElliteDesk 800 G2 = good iCore I5-6500 quad core processor, 8GB RAM,500GB HDD, 4x expansion slots, lots of USB3 ports, Win 10 Pro (+ wired k/b & mouse) for £170 delivered (but a 4GB upgrade to 8GB of RAM cost an extra £20) with 60 day warrantee.

Very clean and (at least by my standards) very quick even without an SSD, and so I'm very pleased with it and almost tempted to buy another one to take over as the main PC - but holding off on that I have spent an awful lot on other things over the last few days!

Only "fly in the ointment" was the totally ABYSMAL delivery performance from DPD, the courier service - it should have been here last Friday, but it "got stuck" several times and only arrived on Tuesday!

05-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #16247
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
LifeLine apparatus so that when my wife faints, it calls the emergency people all by itself. It takes over the land line when it goes off, so nothing else can be on the line ahead of it. That occasioned the telephone people creating a clean single line to it. I then added an answering machine, a base phone and 3 satellites that all take only one line into the LifeLine. The house dates from 1982 and we have several metres (yards) of surplus phone lines for me to dig out of the walls. C$ 61/mo for the LifeLine service and C$ 100 once for the new phone system.
Why did you have to remove the existing phone wires?
05-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #16248
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
A "new" (3yrs old) PC for sat stuff and other experiments: - HP ElliteDesk 800 G2 = good iCore I5-6500 quad core processor, 8GB RAM,500GB HDD, 4x expansion slots, lots of USB3 ports, Win 10 Pro (+ wired k/b & mouse) for £170 delivered (but a 4GB upgrade to 8GB of RAM cost an extra £20) with 60 day warrantee.

Very clean and (at least by my standards) very quick even without an SSD, and so I'm very pleased with it and almost tempted to buy another one to take over as the main PC - but holding off on that I have spent an awful lot on other things over the last few days!

Only "fly in the ointment" was the totally ABYSMAL delivery performance from DPD, the courier service - it should have been here last Friday, but it "got stuck" several times and only arrived on Tuesday!
Don't get me started on DPD. If they attempt a delivery but nobody is home they take a photo of the house door to prove they have been there. In my experience this is often not my door but one nearby with the same number but different street address. Having the photo evidence allows you to tell them how incompetent their driver is and get it redelivered, often to the same wrong address but after two or three attempts they succeed. The real problem occurs when they actually manage to delver to the wrong address. Then they do not take a photo so you have no idea who has your parcel. Rant over.

05-30-2019, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #16249
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just bought a new manual Mitakon Zyhogyi 85mm f/2 FF lens for my K-1....

05-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #16250
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Why did you have to remove the existing phone wires?
Don't have to, as long as they are not connected, but I got rid of a bunch of clutter.
05-30-2019, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #16251
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote

That's it - I'm all done for lenses...........
oh, that's funny...
05-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #16252
Pentaxian

Anytime Im on ShopEvilWill:

My Brain: I HAVE A MIGHTY NEED!!!!
My Wallet: NO YOU DON'T! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

05-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #16253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Don't get me started on DPD. If they attempt a delivery but nobody is home they take a photo of the house door to prove they have been there. In my experience this is often not my door but one nearby with the same number but different street address. Having the photo evidence allows you to tell them how incompetent their driver is and get it redelivered, often to the same wrong address but after two or three attempts they succeed. The real problem occurs when they actually manage to delver to the wrong address. Then they do not take a photo so you have no idea who has your parcel. Rant over.
Problem is, the seller chooses the shipping supplier.
05-31-2019, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #16254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Problem is, the seller chooses the shipping supplier.
My heart sinks when I see DPD in the dispatch email. They have one saving grace where you can track the driver so if you are quick you can intercept them before they go to the wrong address.
One time I was expecting DPD to collect a damaged subwoofer (damaged by them) and deliver a replacement at the same time. When the driver arrived to collect I could see no sign of the replacement so asked him if he had a delivery for me. The answer was no. Two minutes later I got an email saying my parcel had been delivered. To the house round the corner who just happened to have about 5 other parcels delivered so didn't immediately notice an extra box weighing 20kg.
DPD deliveries are stressful.

05-31-2019, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #16255
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote

Ugh, those DPD clowns. I live in a rural area, in a little courtyard of old farmworkers' cottages at the end of a farm track. Entering the postcode into a satnav will bring you right to the end of the track, but DPD's drivers don't seem to be bright enough to realise that there might be houses down there. So now, genuinely, according to DPD my house doesn't exist and they will only deliver to their drop-off in town.

Meanwhile, a Yodel driver left a package on my doorstep this morning that was clearly addressed to a neighbour about as far away from as possible from me on the other side of the farm.

Good old Royal Mail never lets me down though (except when their temporary Xmas drivers keep delivering my stuff to the private school half a mile down the road).
05-31-2019, 04:56 AM   #16256
Pentaxian

My dpd delivery guy is a post pubescent kid that looks at me as if I am personally responsible for his miserable job while he shoves a PDA in my face expecting me to sign it. The UPS guy looks so depressed he gives me the creeps. The Postnl guy seems to be in a perpetual bad mood. The DHL people are usually quite upbeat though. Maybe because they are part of a work reintegration project.
05-31-2019, 05:40 AM - 4 Likes   #16257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
A used DA 40mm XS from a Pentax Forum member and a 27-52 step up ring.

My wife and I are making two international flights; one late this summer and the other next winter (separate continents) I plan on have each of us having just the two allowed carry-on items and no checked bags. I can take a dedicated camera bag that folds relatively flat and put that in my roller bag. Unfortunately, I also know that on certain connecting flights, "carry-on" isn't quite true. The smaller regional planes make you 'plane-side' check roller bags as the overhead bins are too small. What that means is ALL delicate gear and spare Lithium batteries have to fit in my day pack along with other items I want while we are in transit.

My experience is photo back packs leave little room for general day items, but multi-purpose back packs are not particularly friendly to SLR gear. A SLR with a mounted lens is an awkward shape. So during flights, I have neoprene sleeves for my K-3 body and the couple lenses I want to have. Hmmm. The DA 40mm XS isn't much bigger than a body cap, and uses the same lens design as the 40mm limited but a lot less expense.The mounted lens fits in the neoprene body case. I get a 3rd lens and a camera ready for immediate use.

The only things I really didn't like was the 27mm filter threads and the press-in 27mm front lens cap. The lens cap relies exclusively on friction (easily lost), and would require buying 27mm filters and finding a lens hood that didn't vignette. Problem solved with an super-inexpensive 27-52mm step-up ring. I already have 52mm filters, pinch-clip lens cap and a collapsible rubber hood.

Last edited by JimJohnson; 05-31-2019 at 05:49 AM.
05-31-2019, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #16258
Pentaxian

A very clean Pentacon 30mm 3.5, the one that's basically a rebadged Lydith, for £18 - sold the last one for £25 and it was in much poorer condition.
05-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #16259
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The only things I really didn't like was the 27mm filter threads and the press-in 27mm front lens cap.
I like your solution but it is possible to get 27mm button press caps on ebay from china for very cheap for two. They are more secure and easily replaceable so I now leave the push in at home and use the cheap and cheerful and more secure aftermarket ones.
05-31-2019, 06:29 PM   #16260
Pentaxian

Two job lots of filters - delivered this evening for some reason - a total of 35 filters for £19 including postage; one lot was 15 x 49mm filters, mostly UV and skylight but also a polarizer and a couple of effect filters, the other 20 x filters from 46mm to 62mm, again mostly skylight/UV with one 46mm polarizer. I try to include a skylight or UV with every lens I sell, and add a polarizer for good prime lenses. The other effects stuff will probably build up until I have 20 or so, then I'll sell a job lot of my own.

And ordered a desk chair, the usual sort of rotating pneumatic thing, for £40 - my old one started to sag sideways, I decided to get rid of it before it collapses completely or pitches me onto the floor.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 05-31-2019 at 06:42 PM.