Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #16291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Out of curiosity, has anyone established a UK standard measuring biscuit / cookie? It seems to me that the half-coated McVitie's Chocolate Digestive is the ideal candidate, but perhaps a different device has already been chosen...
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
nothing as of yet for the UK...
Didn’t someone propose some Scottish biscuit as an AMU*? IIRC it was a standard oblong shape with no coating - just a tea biscuit like Walker’s Shortbread.

* Alternate Measuring Unit

06-03-2019, 01:50 PM - 2 Likes   #16292
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Rich Teas as a thinner biscuit would give you more resolution.
Indeed so... but I assumed I would be laughed out of the thread if I presented a biscuit that wasn't at least half-coated in chocolate.

I suppose I could deconstruct a pack of chocolate bourbons and use only the upper or lower biscuit portion, but that's an awful lot of effort, and no-one thinks of dimensions in terms of "part of a bourbon biscuit". Then, of course, I could have suggested something European - such as the "Choco Leibnitz"... a personal favourite of mine (the dark version, that is), but it isn't part of our nationwide culture like the digestive is.

If you could suggest a thinner, well-established UK chocolate biscuit, I would be delighted to consider it.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
...digestives... lol
Hey, I don't write the jokes...
06-03-2019, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #16293
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Didn’t someone propose some Scottish biscuit as an AMU*? IIRC it was a standard oblong shape with no coating - just a tea biscuit like Walker’s Shortbread.

* Alternate Measuring Unit
That must have been @Kerrowdown, surely?

Have you seen the thickness of a Paterson's Shortbread finger?? Delicious, no doubt, but a McVitie's Chocolate Digestive is positively svelte by comparison...
06-03-2019, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #16294
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it seems to be, if the peanut gallery has a vote, then these are the conditions:

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
This AMU madness is running amuck! . . .

How about agreeing on the following requirements for AMUs:

Ingredients: must contain chocolate, gluten, lactose, sugar, and fat -- no vegan cardboard wafers allowed!

Geometry: must be stackable to the height of the DFA 150-450 -- as tasty as chocolate rums balls may be, they make a poor basis for metrology.

Dimensions: must be K-mount compatible -- the diameter should be should be similar to K-mount so that the cookie stack presents a pleasing and tempting counterpoint to the lens without being larger than the lens.

All in favor, say YUM!

not sure where the K-mount compatible condition came from ????

but a large amount of chocolate there must be

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-03-2019 at 02:48 PM.
06-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #16295
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Today's charity shop find - a Canon Eos 100 with a 28-80 ultrasonic lens for £25. Not sure if the camera works, I seem to have no compatible batteries, but it's a charity I support and worth it for the lens alone.

Also ordered a Nikon 70-210 AF from Oxfam's online shop, they think it's faulty but I think they've tried it with the lens aperture left on manual, which is not a good idea on most Nikon AF bodies - it's £20 plus P&P so I think it's worth rolling the dice.
06-04-2019, 04:31 AM - 2 Likes   #16296
Pentaxian

I had added another vivitar 28mm 2.8 close focussing lens to my ebay watch list, or I thought I had. It was 25 pounds, a fair price for this lens. So I was investigating which version of this lens it was on Robin Parmars site. When I flicked back to look at the lens I saw it said 2.0. I clicked buy now faster than you can say potato.
06-04-2019, 04:33 AM   #16297
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
Arnotts Tim Tam.

Sadly, Dick has had to close his business: Dick Smith Foods

Dick Smith started three major businesses in Australia - the first was a hobbyist electronic business that supported backyarders, home gadget tinkerers and kit builders. This was in direct competition to Tandy. That operation was sold to the Australian Woolworths, which unexpectedly turned the company into a consumer-tech retailer like all the others TVs and hifis but no capacitors or circuit boards).

The second was Australian Geographic - a magazine with a retail shopfront and associated products. The shops are gone and the mag still exists, no doubt bought by a "glossy" publisher.

The third was the wholesale foods business, where he tried to support local producers and processors, but which he closed last year.

---------- Post added 06-03-19 at 05:59 AM ----------

The Tim Tam was suggested (sarcastically?) by Photoptimist back at New Years, in this thread at Post #15034. His requirements were:

Ingredients: must contain chocolate, gluten, lactose, sugar, and fat -- no vegan cardboard wafers allowed!

Geometry: must be stackable to the height of the DFA 150-450 -- as tasty as chocolate rums balls may be, they make a poor basis for metrology.

Dimensions: must be K-mount compatible -- the diameter should be should be similar to K-mount so that the cookie stack presents a pleasing and tempting counterpoint to the lens without being larger than the lens.

Tim Tams are unhealthy, stackable (@12mm high each biscuit) and 58-60mm wide (same width as the base of a K-Mount), so meet all the criteria. The fact that I first posted a pic with Tim Tams on Australia day should be enough to convince all fellow Aussies that this is the national Pentax metrological standard.

BTW (this subject is topical here at the moment), when the POTUS and Melania go for a holiday in Australia, who will teach Melania to do a Tim Tam Slam. Quite some bragging rights for whoever does. Or with the fat men with hearing aids stop such frivolity?

06-04-2019, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #16298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
well, I always knew you guys were different

( based on my one brief visit to Sydney, Melbourne and Hobart )

How impoverished was your trip. You missed the best wine regions.
06-04-2019, 04:38 AM   #16299
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Rich Teas as a thinner biscuit would give you more resolution.

But they lack any chocolate coating.

And the digestives have only one side coated.
06-04-2019, 04:40 AM   #16300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Indeed so... but I assumed I would be laughed out of the thread if I presented a biscuit that wasn't at least half-coated in chocolate.

I suppose I could deconstruct a pack of chocolate bourbons and use only the upper or lower biscuit portion, but that's an awful lot of effort, and no-one thinks of dimensions in terms of "part of a bourbon biscuit". Then, of course, I could have suggested something European - such as the "Choco Leibnitz"... a personal favourite of mine (the dark version, that is), but it isn't part of our nationwide culture like the digestive is.

If you could suggest a thinner, well-established UK chocolate biscuit, I would be delighted to consider it.

Hey, I don't write the jokes...

You cannot suggest, as a measuring unit, something that may become difficult to procure post Halloween.
06-04-2019, 05:26 AM   #16301
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
How impoverished was your trip. You missed the best wine regions.
well, I will do my best not to whine about my misfortune

we were on a cruise from Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart and then other to the South Island down the west coast, around and up to the North Island of New Zealand
06-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #16302
Pentaxian

Another OK day; picked up a job lot I bought on eBay, two long zooms for Minolta AF, and on the way passed a Cash Converters and got a 500mm f8 Paragon, the usual sort of cheapo long T-mount lens:

Minolta 70-210 4.5-5.6 macro - teeny scratch on the front element otherwise very good condition.
Tamron 80-210 4.5-5.6 very good and has its hood and a skylight filter.
Both working well on my Sony A100, can't test them extensively today due to rain. Paid £29 for the two

Paragon 500mm f8 - some whitening of the rear element, a very common fault with these lenses due to the glass mix being slightly unstable, otherwise very good - £19.99

I should make a reasonable return on them.
06-04-2019, 10:44 AM - 3 Likes   #16303
Loyal Site Supporter

May not be a great idea for me but renting a K1 for a week just to "try it out"
06-04-2019, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #16304
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I had added another vivitar 28mm 2.8 close focussing lens to my ebay watch list, or I thought I had. It was 25 pounds, a fair price for this lens. So I was investigating which version of this lens it was on Robin Parmars site. When I flicked back to look at the lens I saw it said 2.0. I clicked buy now faster than you can say potato.
Wow! Excellent!

Steve
06-04-2019, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #16305
Pentaxian

My latest acquisition is 10 tons of gravel dropped onto my driveway this afternoon. Slowly being transferred to the side yard one wheelbarrow load at a time...