Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2019, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #16396
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All the way from Nova Ohio a Vivitar 70-150mm 1:3.8 + matched multiplier. It was only $9 +Ebay GSP. It is going to be a project I fear. Some haze behind the front element (still waiting for my rubber wrenches to arrive) and the barrel is crooked.

06-15-2019, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #16397
Pentaxian

A Minolta Dynax 300si with two lenses - a very clean Minolta 35-105 4.5 - 4.5, which was my main reason for buying it, and a Vivitar 70-210 4.5-5.6 which appears to be a rebadged Sigma and has slight fungus - for £20

three cables for £2

and a first-edition Terry Pratchett, one of his pre-Discworld novels, for 50p, should fetch a reasonable price.
06-15-2019, 05:15 PM - 3 Likes   #16398
Pentaxian

Nothing fancy - this Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kiron) - I love my M series 28/2.8 but got this one just to try it... Ohh the Mets shirt is also new

06-15-2019, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #16399
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Where exactly do you look for gems like this? I can't imagine just typing "photography junk" into ebay would be useful.
I just do an occasional search for "job lot" in the cameras and photography sections and see what comes out, and check a few sellers regularly if I know that they have a tendency to do this sort of thing.

06-16-2019, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #16400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Nothing fancy - this Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kiron) - I love my M series 28/2.8 but got this one just to try it... Ohh the Mets shirt is also new

I like the Kiron made 28mm lenses because of their interesting bokeh. The acclaimed Komine made lenses always feel a bit clinical to me. Pentax of course has SMC coatings that give that typical Pentax look.
06-16-2019, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #16401
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I like the Kiron made 28mm lenses because of their interesting bokeh. The acclaimed Komine made lenses always feel a bit clinical to me. Pentax of course has SMC coatings that give that typical Pentax look.
Thus far hven't tried it in the field but looking forwards to. I do not expect it to be "Better" than my M series 28mm (I love that lense), I just hope that it performs differently.
06-16-2019, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #16402
Pentaxian

I recently got a Think Tank Digital Holster 10 V2.0 on an internet auction. I am quite chuffed with it, especially for the rock bottom price I paid.

A 400mm will never fit but so what? It swallows just about every camera/lens combination that I have tried. The bottom part has a very clever zip arrangement to make it smaller or bigger.

06-16-2019, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #16403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The bottom part has a very clever zip arrangement to make it smaller or bigger.
nifty!!
06-16-2019, 02:41 PM - 5 Likes   #16404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

06-16-2019, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #16405
Veteran Member

Snagged these on ebay.

Found this cartridge at a flea market for peanuts, now I'm looking for an Instamatic.
06-16-2019, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #16406
Pentaxian

update on the Miranda Sensorex I got this week.....got to do a more through cleaning of the battery compartment and the light meter has come back to life! I do not like the battery screw cap its a pain to put back on.....seems to cross thread more than thread as it should.....quite happy that it is a fully functional camera even the seals are in decent shape....will be searching for the waist level finder that can be swapped out on the prism housing which was the allure of this particular body...reckon some lens as well

also had time to work on a shutter problem of a Yashica TL-Super I got a few weeks back and seem to have gotten that in working order....it was good day "fixing" new to me stuff
06-16-2019, 09:07 PM - 4 Likes   #16407
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Dr. Dine vs. The Meteor Rocket

I was truly hoping that @JSherman had sent me a rocket kit, but I guess I will have to be satisfied with an extremely clean Lester Dine 105/2.8 Dental Macro in PKA mount. I was sorely disappointed back in about 2008 when the last of the NIB Vivitar Series-1 labeled version of the highly regarded Kiron 105mm Macro went on fire sale at various outlets for about $100. I missed the last one by about 15 minutes. Once they were gone, the price, used, for all versions of the lens (Kiron, Vivitar, Lester Dine, and Rikenon) took a significant jump out of my range and I eventually became the owner a 50mm Sigma Macro which has served me quite well for over a decade since. About two years ago I found a copy of the quite excellent Adaptall-2 Tamron 90/2.8 (72B, the manual-focus equivalent of today's AF lens) at a very decent price, but was still mildly unfulfilled. For as amazing as the Tamron is for close work, its ability to easily focus at moderate distance is hampered by a steep helicoid pitch in the range from 5' to infinity making it sort of a no-go as a portrait option or for a general use 100mm.

Sooo...to cut to the chase, when Jay offered a Dine 105mm at a very competitive price a few weeks back on the Pentax Forums Marketplace, I jumped at it. Yes, the Dine is heavy (metal and glass except for the grip) and yes, it is rather heavy (yes, I said that twice), but it does offer almost a full turn from infinity to MFD (1:1) with optical performance on a par with the highly-regarded Tamron. As a result, we have below:
  • A box for a high performance chemical-fueled rocket
  • The Lester E. Dine Dental Macro complete with dental "cheat" stickers in PKA mount
  • A stack of Nabisco Ritz Crackers to serve as AMU
  • The existing Tamron 90/1.8 Macro (72B)
  • A green glass bowel and some other stuff in the background

Pentax K-3, Vivitar 135/2.8 (Komine, 5-element)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-18-2019 at 08:16 PM.
06-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #16408
Pentaxian

+12 for fireworks
06-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #16409
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was truly hoping that @JSherman had sent me a rocket kit, but I guess I will have to be satisfied with an extremely clean Lester Dine 105/2.8 Dental Macro in PKA mount. I was sorely disappointed back in about 2008 when the last of the NIB Vivitar Series-1 labeled version of the highly regarded Kiron 105mm Macro went on fire sale at various outlets for about $100. I missed the last one by about 15 minutes. Once they were gone, the price, used, for all versions of the lens (Kiron, Vivitar, Lester Dine, and Rikenon) took a significant jump out of my range and I eventually became the owner a 50mm Sigma Macro which has served me quite well for over a decade since. About two years ago I found a copy of the quite excellent Adaptall-2 Tamron 90/2.8 (72B, the manual-focus equivalent of today's AF lens) at a very decent price, but was still mildly unfulfilled. For as amazing as the Tamron is for close work, its ability to easily focus at moderate distance is hampered by a steep helicoid pitch in the range from 5' to infinity making it sort of a no-go as a portrait option or for a general use 100mm.

Sooo...to cut to the chase, when Jay offered a Dine 105mm at a very competitive price a few weeks back on the Pentax Forums Marketplace, I jumped at it. Yes, the Dine is heavy (metal and glass except for the grip) and yes, it is rather heavy (yes, I said that twice), but it does offer almost a full turn from infinity to MFD (1:1) with optical performance on a par with the highly-regarded Tamron. As a result, we have below:
  • The Lester E. Dine Dental Macro complete with dental "cheat" stickers in PKA mount

Pentax K-3, Vivitar 135/2.8 (Komine)

Steve

To quote the young kids and what they say nowadays, it's "a thicc beefy boi lol 😁"
06-17-2019, 02:52 AM   #16410
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Pentax K-3, Vivitar 135/2.8 (Komine)

Steve

nicely done..... I'm surprised that the box, proudly proclaiming "ROCKET" on it, was able to be used for shipping in the current climate....

and thanks for the comparison to the 72B (which is one of my desert island lenses) since I now have to place the LD 105 on a short list in my head...