Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2019, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #16741
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
What about doing that with the K-S2 for the rest of the year (or years) when I'm not on holiday? Likelihood is I'd end up taking the more expensive camera anyway and, as far as I'm aware, the K-S2 is an 'upgrade' vs the K-50 anyway?

Thanks for the input as ever!
always an option... for me, I have found that having two K-mount bodies is quite handy....

08-06-2019, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #16742
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Well, hopefully I just bought a good AF Nikkor 50/1.4D - won't know for sure until it's delivered, but fingers crossed this one is OK and the deal won't fall through like the last one. About £106 including postage, which isn't bad since they have jumped from around £110 to around £140 in online prices recently.
Arrived today and it's very nice - about to take it out for a test run. Not sure why I said it was a D, it's the slightly earlier model - identical optics and similar pricing, but the D has faster AF due to a gearing change. It seems fast enough to me so I won't worry about not having the turbo stripes!

Also received a Sigma DC 18-50 4-5.6 for Pentax AF I bought on Cash Converters a week or so ago - clean and seems to be working well. It's basically their alternative to the Pentax 18-55, lens coverage is for APS-C sensors, cost £12.98 including postage which I think is reasonably good.

later - test photos with the 50/1.4 here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150868539@N02/albums/72157710144591971

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 08-06-2019 at 03:08 PM.
08-06-2019, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #16743
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
always an option... for me, I have found that having two K-mount bodies is quite handy....
Well this has certainly thrown a spanner in the works for me! I'll have to give each a go - up until now I thought I wouldn't want more than two bodies!
08-06-2019, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #16744
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Well this has certainly thrown a spanner in the works for me! I'll have to give each a go - up until now I thought I wouldn't want more than two bodies!
it sounds like a luxury, and it is... but once you have the luxury of setting out with three bodies, with three lenses that you are looking forward to using, you'll see what I mean....

08-06-2019, 01:51 PM - 4 Likes   #16745
Veteran Member

it sounds like a luxury, and it is... but once you have the luxury of setting out with three bodies, with three lenses that you are looking forward to using, you'll see what I mean....
Dave, Not everybody wants to be a pack mule!!

---------- Post added 08-06-19 at 16:53 ----------

If you don't end up using it much, then put together a beginners kit for someone who might be interested and give them a deal to set them on the Pentax path! I did it with my K-r and she loves it!
08-06-2019, 02:13 PM - 3 Likes   #16746
Veteran Member

I just added a new Zeiss lens to the mix. The old ones made for the Contax/Yashica mount have been a ton of fun to use. So, I couldn't pass up a good price on a Sonnar 135/2.8 with the original box. Looking forward to testing this one out when it gets in.
08-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #16747
Pentaxian

Yashica Electro-AX.....needs a good cleaning....the battery adapter I have for an electro-35 fits nicely and I do get lights!! shutter speeds 1/8 and slower seem just fine and the green light responds accordingly......however anything higher than 1/30 seems to fire the same with no change.....auto also fires at the same constant speed with no response to changing light (very disappointing)..was hoping to compare this body to an ES I have but until I feel the shutter speed is changing not gonna waste film for comparison ...the plastic window above the frame counter is loose and fumbles around....creates problems for the frame counter to spring back to S when the back is opened but does return eventually.......a 50/1.7 auto only cleaned up well and will be useful.....an accura 135/2.8 needs some serious work the focus ring does nothing.....a 200/f4 that cleaned up well but the auto/manual has been dismantled but seems functional look forward to giving it a test drive....also what seems to be a FD 2x TC but not really sure believe I have an FD body to see its certainly no PK mount

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
Contax/Yashica mount have been a ton of fun to use
on C/Y bodies or is there a modification to K?

08-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #16748
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
I’m using them with a mirrorless body, but I think there’s a c/y to PK adapter out there. These lenses are really impressive, and a good value compared to others by Zeiss.
08-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #16749
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
I think this will lead you somewhere... it is from before my days in the forum, but i've bookmarked it.

C/Y mount modify to K mount - PentaxForums.com

RioRico was the user to know for these kind of mods apparently. I never interacted with him here.
08-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #16750
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
I’m using them with a mirrorless body
ah! ok cool ! thanks.....not that I have any zeiss glass but a few c/y bodies and lenses....would be neat to shoot on the K-50 etc

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I think this will lead you somewhere... it is from before my days in the forum, but i've bookmarked it.
nice! thanks!
08-07-2019, 01:41 AM - 3 Likes   #16751
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Dave, Not everybody wants to be a pack mule!!

---------- Post added 08-06-19 at 16:53 ----------

If you don't end up using it much, then put together a beginners kit for someone who might be interested and give them a deal to set them on the Pentax path! I did it with my K-r and she loves it!
Thanks again for these insights, both.

Mr P'Berry - I 99% sure I'm on course to sell off the K-50. I'll update the firmware before hand so the recipient doesn't have to worry about that. Two bodies (especially as I own no M42 lenses whatsoever as it stands) should be plenty for me - if I look to increase the number of bodies, I'll likely update the 'flagship' in the group and knock everything else down a rung. The K-S2 is set up to accept manual K lenses and that works fine for me (even better now I've adapted the diopter)!

'Geezer' - Agreed, I wouldn't want it to cost the earth to reflect the bargain I've received in this instance and bundling it all together would certainly benefit both myself and the potential recipient. I'm absolutely certain, however, in my circles (including family/friends) that no one is as interested in photography as I am. Time to look at pricing it up... any tips with this welcome (I might start a new thread for that)!
08-07-2019, 05:17 AM - 4 Likes   #16752
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SMC-K 200mm F2.5

Ever since my first Pentax camera, an MX, I’ve wanted to own the SMC-K 200mm F2.5 lens. Back in the early 1990’s this lens was selling for over $800 used, so I filled my F2.8 sports shooting needs with the very good Tokina AT-X 80-200 A MF lens. I then moved to autofocus and another Tokina AT-X 80-200. When my photojournalist day’s ended, the big F2.8 zooms were sold off.
Recently, my desire to try the nearly legendary 200- 2.5 Pentax had been driving me nuts. Knowing it would be a limited use lens, and a bit difficult to use, I was not willing to pay $350-$600 for one. Most of these lenses ship from Japan. Many are “ Nearly Mint” however, reading the fine print about half have “tiny fungus” which “of course has no effect on images”. Yeah, right up to the point where the fungus grows. The few United States sellers with a 200-2.5 price junk, dirt filled copies at $400 or more. Even KEH wanted $399 for a Bargain copy.
Finally, I spied my quarry on eBay. $295 or best offer, $9.85 shipping. Scored it for $271 total including PA sales tax and shipping. The lens is somewhat finish worn, particularly the hood and lens barrel under it. Glass and mechanical advertised as very clean and no issues. I received the lens a few days ago. Description was spot-on. A well used but well cared for lens.
My first photo outing was during bright, harsh afternoon sun. I had issues with horrid red CA around all high contrast highlights. Luckily no cyan/ green CA. Also, learning to focus this lens is a bit of a chore. Even with a 1.3x eyepiece, it is tough to nail focus with razor thin DOF. I did get some decent shots, however I was dissatisfied. Last night, I tested the lens in the lighting it was made for, pre-sunset soft evening shadows. BINGO. The lens is SHARP wide open at F2.5 and the bokeh is outstanding. See photos in the BOKEH CLUB.
Attached Images

08-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #16753
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Ever since my first Pentax camera, an MX, I’ve wanted to own the SMC-K 200mm F2.5 lens. Back in the early 1990’s this lens was selling for over $800 used, so I filled my F2.8 sports shooting needs with the very good Tokina AT-X 80-200 A MF lens. I then moved to autofocus and another Tokina AT-X 80-200. When my photojournalist day’s ended, the big F2.8 zooms were sold off.
Recently, my desire to try the nearly legendary 200- 2.5 Pentax had been driving me nuts. Knowing it would be a limited use lens, and a bit difficult to use, I was not willing to pay $350-$600 for one. Most of these lenses ship from Japan. Many are “ Nearly Mint” however, reading the fine print about half have “tiny fungus” which “of course has no effect on images”. Yeah, right up to the point where the fungus grows. The few United States sellers with a 200-2.5 price junk, dirt filled copies at $400 or more. Even KEH wanted $399 for a Bargain copy.
Finally, I spied my quarry on eBay. $295 or best offer, $9.85 shipping. Scored it for $271 total including PA sales tax and shipping. The lens is somewhat finish worn, particularly the hood and lens barrel under it. Glass and mechanical advertised as very clean and no issues. I received the lens a few days ago. Description was spot-on. A well used but well cared for lens.
My first photo outing was during bright, harsh afternoon sun. I had issues with horrid red CA around all high contrast highlights. Luckily no cyan/ green CA. Also, learning to focus this lens is a bit of a chore. Even with a 1.3x eyepiece, it is tough to nail focus with razor thin DOF. I did get some decent shots, however I was dissatisfied. Last night, I tested the lens in the lighting it was made for, pre-sunset soft evening shadows. BINGO. The lens is SHARP wide open at F2.5 and the bokeh is outstanding. See photos in the BOKEH CLUB.

Oooh, congrats! I've long wanted this lens, but could never justify it as I already have the excellent Tak 200/3.5.
08-07-2019, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #16754
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Weber Spirit II S210 gas grill. Our 20 plus years old Fiesta just wasn't worth rebuilding again. Hauled the Fiesta to the curb and someone had picked it up within a few hours. The Weber certainly has more even heat, but I do not see it lasting nearly as long as the old one.
08-07-2019, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #16755
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Congrats! My second favorite K lens (after the 35/3.5). On K-1, I jog the focus ring on to find the “range“ then center by feel and viewfinder. Of course that requires steady hands so I sometimes use a monopod.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-07-2019 at 09:53 AM.