Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #17176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alamodoso Quote
Probably sure this question has been asked and answered before, but darn if I can find it .... When I upgraded from the 16mp Pentax K50 to the 24mp K3 I was awe struck by the quality differance. Now here is my question, if I upgrade to the 36mp K1, would I see the same improvement in picture quality, using the same lenses I own for the K50?

Never met a lens that I could afford that I didn't buy....with 70 of them, wife hits me on the head every time she sees me crusing Ebay.

So would like to know if I would be happy in image quality without having to purchase the latest state of the art lenes for the K1?

Thank you all in advance for your input.
You should ask this question here: Pentax DSLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com

09-19-2019, 12:14 PM   #17177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alamodoso Quote
Probably sure this question has been asked and answered before, but darn if I can find it .... When I upgraded from the 16mp Pentax K50 to the 24mp K3 I was awe struck by the quality differance. Now here is my question, if I upgrade to the 36mp K1, would I see the same improvement in picture quality, using the same lenses I own for the K50?

Never met a lens that I could afford that I didn't buy....with 70 of them, wife hits me on the head every time she sees me crusing Ebay.

So would like to know if I would be happy in image quality without having to purchase the latest state of the art lenes for the K1?

Thank you all in advance for your input.
Well, in my experience went like this. I had a K3 when I got my first K1 (I have since added a K1-II to the herd) in May of 2016. The K3 went to backup status. The images have a certain quality to them I call delicious and you can crop to your heart's delight. I never use it in crop mode. My K3 is still used with those lenses that do not go well with the K1.
09-19-2019, 12:30 PM - 3 Likes   #17178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife and her best friend are heading to a coverlet conference Bedford, PA with her best friend. He friend showed up and gave me a Tamrac Expedition photo backpack with her old camera in it. She never uses it anymore and her husband was going to throw it all out. She thought of me and decided to give it to me. She told me to throw it out if I don't want it.

So I wound up with one each:

1) Tamrac Expedition 5 Photo backpack
2) Nikon N80 with a battery grip. The camera may not work. The body is very sticky.
3) Nikon AF NIKKOR 70-300 f4.0 -5.6G lens
4) Nikon AF NIKKOR ED 18-35 f3.5 -4.5D lens, Definitely to best lens of the bunch.
5) Nikon NIKKOR 28-80 f3.5-5.6D lens.
6) Nikon SB 21 Macro Speedlight with a Nikon AS 14 Macro Controller.

The lenses seem to be in good condition and no batteries were stored in the camera, grip or flash so all is good there.

If a D850 does not fall into my lap I am not sure what to do with the gear. Maybe this is an omen that PENTAX IS DOOOOOOMED!!!!! and I need to switch brands.

Last edited by gaweidert; 09-19-2019 at 12:40 PM.
09-19-2019, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #17179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If a D850 does not fall into my lap I am not sure what to do with the gear. Maybe this is an omen that PENTAX IS DOOOOOOMED!!!!! and I need to switch brands.
That bundle has a few nice items.

It is indeed the sign that you've been waiting for. You probably know that life deals strange and wonderful hands sometimes, which should be acted upon quickly.

I'd be more than happy to make the four-hour drive from Ottawa to Rochester to gently pick up your Pentax gear, so you'll have room for the D850 kit.

- Craig

09-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #17180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know of a pristine FE2 that I could direct to your lap in exchange for a reasonable referral fee.
09-19-2019, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #17181
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I know of a pristine FE2 that I could direct to your lap in exchange for a reasonable referral fee.
Reading this, I am so glad that I am out of money that might be better spent on an Acratech ballhead.

Steve
09-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #17182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Nikon N80 with a battery grip. The camera may not work. The body is very sticky.
Rubbing the sticky area with 91% isopropyl alcohol on paper towels sometimes gets the sticky off. May have to have patience doing it.

09-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #17183

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You should ask this question here: Pentax DSLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com
thanks
09-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #17184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blumoon722 Quote
Rubbing the sticky area with 91% isopropyl alcohol on paper towels sometimes gets the sticky off.
Has anyone tried Goo Gone?
I use it at work and though it contains petroleum distillates it is pretty mild.
Maybe I'll try it on my Bessa R film door when that gets sticky.

Chris
09-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #17185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
yes....smells good and does a fantastic job removing various grimy, sticky stuff of all kinds....quite useful but not for everything
09-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #17186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I use it at work and though it contains petroleum distillates it is pretty mild.
Maybe I'll try it on my Bessa R film door when that gets sticky.

Chris
I have used to to remove the adhesive residue from garage sale white price stickers, from both metal and leatherette surfaces. Goo Gone leaves an oily sheen that I clean with Residual Oil Remover.
09-20-2019, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #17187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Sort of an acquisition: The Canon Ixus 175 that I thought wasn't working is OK: I somehow put the battery in the wrong way round and didn't spot the mistake until today. Why Canon designed it so it could be put in the wrong way round is a question I probably won't try to answer... Nice little camera, but I really prefer SLRs and bridge cameras with eye level finders, so it'll be going onto eBay.

And one that wasn't: Finally got the charger for the Olympus E420 four-thirds SLR and it isn't powering on at all, regardless of battery orientation (another one that lets you put the battery in the wrong way round!). I could try to get it fixed but it's an obsolete system and really not worth it since you can get them for about £60, and I really don't see enough 4/3rds stuff to justify keeping it for myself. So I'm out £10 for the original camera and about a fiver for the charger and the special USB data cable Olympus use. I'm going to list the body, charger, and cable on eBay as spares/repairs, and hang on to the lens until I can borrow a body long enough to test it.
So having failed to borrow a 4/3 body, I bought one! An Olympus E500 which is a better specification and came with two zooms, 17.5-45 and 40-150, got the lot for about £60 including a battery and charger I bought separately. The body and all three lenses are working perfectly - my plan at the moment is to sell one of the short lenses and the long one, and keep the body and the other short lens for testing any other 4/3 gear that comes my way. I'll review things in a few months - if I don't seem to be using it I'll sell it on, since this is going to be the fifth DSLR I currently own which is a little excessive...
09-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #17188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
So having failed to borrow a 4/3 body, I bought one! An Olympus E500 which is a better specification and came with two zooms, 17.5-45 and 40-150, got the lot for about £60 including a battery and charger I bought separately. The body and all three lenses are working perfectly - my plan at the moment is to sell one of the short lenses and the long one, and keep the body and the other short lens for testing any other 4/3 gear that comes my way. I'll review things in a few months - if I don't seem to be using it I'll sell it on, since this is going to be the fifth DSLR I currently own which is a little excessive...
Nice work,. Some good deals can be had in old Oly gear. Such a pity that 4/3 was a dead end format. I adore my E1, have had a swag of 4/3, the old E1 is still one of my fav cameras.
09-20-2019, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #17189

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Added this lens to my modest collection after the seller accepted my offer.
The good news is that, after cleaning, both the optics and body are close to pristine and preliminary testing confirms that everything is operating properly. The images are good wide open, and very sharp ~ f:5.6

EBay ad photo:

That's my most used lens. You'll love it.
09-20-2019, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #17190
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a lapse of restraint from buying “weird” system gear and bought a Pentax Q kit off FB marketplace. Basically all new in the box. Original Q, standard lens, standard zoom, toy wide, toy Tele and leather Pentax never ready case with all the boxes. It is definitely much more useful than the Auto 110 super kit I had in the 1990s. Pentax gear is an addiction...: