Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #17401
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Took a step toward actually start shooting B&W film again and not just collecting film camera's, bought a 100' bulk roll of Ultrafine Extreme 100 ISO film from Ultrafine's ebay store (it was a smidge cheaper than on their main site), should be here by friday. Now just need to wait for B&H to be fully open to get the developer, fixer, a couple reloable cartridges and a couple other things to develop film at home.

10-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #17402
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Nice! I'm getting the upgrade itch, too. Currently have an i7-4790k
I am in the same boat as far as an upgrade itch goes. Liquid cooled I7 6700k at stock clock, want an 8 core, do I really need it?
10-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #17403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
One UV flashlight, Just because I needed a new toy.
Careful with that, depending on the output power, it could be unsafe to eyes.
10-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #17404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I am in the same boat as far as an upgrade itch goes. Liquid cooled I7 6700k at stock clock, want an 8 core, do I really need it?
I don't, really. I don't do intensive CPU stuff like video or modeling or engineering. I do often use DXO Photolab for RAW file development, and shoot a lot of high ISO, so when I use DXO's PRIME noise reduction on my K-70 and K-3 II's 24MP files it takes 20-30 seconds to render, pegging my CPU's 8 threads at 100%. A CPU with more cores would speed thatup considerably, but it's not like I'm in a production-based environment where the speed is really necessary.

But really, it's simply that I've been running this CPU for nearly 5 years, and I'm getting bored

10-12-2019, 11:51 PM   #17405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My daughters i7 47xx gaming rig running over clocked is faster than my 6700k.
I do like her GTX 1080 FE graphics card a lot...
10-13-2019, 05:39 AM   #17406
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
My daughters i7 47xx gaming rig running over clocked is faster than my 6700k.
I do like her GTX 1080 FE graphics card a lot...
Wouldn't one of the Nvidia Quadro cards be better for photo editing and whatnot that the GeForce cards?
10-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #17407
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I guess this is a desktop?
Yeah.

And no, Quadro is useless unless you're doing architecture, analyze data, ... that sort of stuff. Having a decent GeForce helps a bit with photo editing, but any not crappy card should do easily. Video editing can use a bit more power, but my 1060 easily handles 4K video files with lots of processing on them playing back at 4K (and all the color grading happening at 4K too). My old 3rd gen Intel Core i5 at 4.7 GHz wouldn't be able to cope with that at PAL resolutions... weren't it for the GPU.

Nice! I'm getting the upgrade itch, too. Currently have an i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz, so I'm waiting for Zen 3.
For me, Zen 2 was a big enough step up and my old system was really getting on my nerves. The system just felt sluggish. That's gone now, even before getting the fast SSD (was using a SATA SSD before, so about 500 MB/s. Now I'm at 3 GB/s).

I'd really like to get the 16 core, but... it is a bit expensive. 12 core I guess I can still justify...

10-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #17408
Pentaxian

Ricoh 500 rangefinder....looks good, rangefinder for focus seems to be decent and shutter times sound good!! very unusual film advance lever (on the bottom) and the back cover comes completely off.....it has a light level scale on the lens/shutter and some external port.....not sure where the light meter fits in on this....
10-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #17409
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
Ricoh 500 rangefinder....looks good, rangefinder for focus seems to be decent and shutter times sound good!! very unusual film advance lever (on the bottom) and the back cover comes completely off.....it has a light level scale on the lens/shutter and some external port.....not sure where the light meter fits in on this....
Those are cool cameras and date from the mid-to-late 1950s. Which lens is it fitted with? The LV exposure feature was unique at the time; it and the trigger wind were signature features of the camera. The port is probably the PC flash sync. Did you notice the hot shoe? I handled one in a local shop several years ago and should have shelled out the $50 asked at the time.

Steve
10-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #17410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Which lens is it fitted with
riken 45/f2.8…..seikosha-slv shutter....believe its the 4th version but not the jet

The port is probably the PC flash sync
yes in front under film rewind I was incorrect about an external port it is a push button on the top right rear (nice thumb feature) maybe for light meter function? don't see any battery compartment nor doe it seem to have a selenium cell...…

turns out its the film rewind release button

Did you notice the hot shoe
I believe it is a hot shoe as there is a pin in the middle

Last edited by Aaron28; 10-13-2019 at 01:09 PM.
10-13-2019, 05:17 PM - 2 Likes   #17411
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Arrived today - the 200mm is clean and very nice indeed. The zoom has a little internal dust and its mount isn't PK, it's an Adaptall to Eos adapter, which is something I've been thinking of getting. The zoom was only a fiver and the adapters usually cost more than that so I'm certainly not going to complain.
I'm an idiot - the 200mm isn't Adapt-A-Matic, it's an early Tamron Adaptall. I only realised when I took the mount off to see if I had anything like it in my big box of weird lens mounts, and realised that it was a bayonet fit, not the screw fit of Adapt-A-Matic. There appear to be near-identical silver-finish Adapt-A-Matic and Adaptall 200mm lenses, if the ebay listings I'm seeing are right, with the only difference the way the mount fits. The other thing that threw me off is that there are none of the usual Tamron labels for coating, model number etc., just Tamron on the barrel and 200mm Automatic f3.5 and a serial number around the front element.

This is hopefully good news, since there are a LOT more mounts available for Adaptall than Adapt-a-matic.
10-14-2019, 01:36 PM - 2 Likes   #17412
Pentaxian

Not quite an "acquisition" but more of of a "reacquisition to come" - after gathering all the data (a real pig of a job with 7 pensions and as many bank accounts - few of which have large amounts in them, but I had to "spread it around" because "high interest" a/cs have very low limits ) I used the Taxcalc s/w to prepare my Tax Return, and it turns out that HMRC owes me over £2k for 2018-2019

Last edited by jeallen01; 10-14-2019 at 01:54 PM.
10-15-2019, 12:39 AM   #17413
Pentaxian

Nice! I'm getting the upgrade itch, too. Currently have an i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz, so I'm waiting for Zen 3.
Funnily, I'm not getting the upgrade itch with the same CPU. Although mine's currently watercooled with a NZXT Kraken X61 at around 5.2GHz.

The GTX 980ti helps too

---------- Post added 10-15-19 at 12:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Well, it looks as though another lens should be on its way to me soon. The well-reputed A-50mm f/2.8 Macro.

Looking forward to seeing how this performs - I've been eyeing up another one which was in worse aesthetic condition and about 50% more expensive than the one I 'won' today.
Lens was sitting on my desk safe and sound this morning. It's, somewhat unfortunately, not as clean as I'd have hoped - there's plenty of dust specks in there but absolutely no fungus or scratches so it's the lesser of three evils. Seller was correct that everything is smooth and turns correctly, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I shall chuck it on the camera shortly and see how much of an issue dust specks are.

It was inexpensive and uncommon enough that I'd be minded to send it off for some TLC, but I'll try it out before jumping towards that decision!

Edit: It seems to perform quite well, despite the dusts present. I'm minded to notify the seller anyway as it was described as 'clean optics'.
I need to spend some hands-on time with it now. It's lovely to use, focus turns pretty smoothly with minimal 'grabbing' which I'm sure will loosen further the more I use her. Lovely lens.

Last edited by Benz3ne; 10-15-2019 at 06:25 AM.
10-15-2019, 05:36 AM   #17414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
ASUS Strix X570-E
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
2x16 GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 CL16
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W

It was time to upgrade the computer. The Ryzen is just a temporary thing while I was waiting for the Ryzen 9 3900X to become available. But the upgrades did help a ton with performance, the system is much snappier. Couldn't be happier, I'm not even sure it makes sense to spend another 300+ on upgrading to the 3900X, apart from editing and rendering videos, which that would absolutely speed up.
Nice set up.
I need urgently a machine upgrade. Hopefully I'll get into the Ryzen train. Would love to have 12 cores!

---------- Post added 10-15-19 at 05:37 AM ----------

10-15-2019, 06:07 AM   #17415
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keh again

Just picked up Mamiya 645 120mm f 4.0 macro ugly (at very favorable price) from Keh. This lens has been described by some reviewers as being as sharp as the Zeiss 100mm f 2.0 Planar macro, though not as fast. I have the Zeiss lens also, so maybe can make some comparisons.