Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2019, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #17476
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No way! I did not know they were still teaching structured programming in Pascal. I am not sure, but I think I still have my Borland Turbo Pascal files archived off somewhere from when I taught myself the language.* It is an amazing teaching tool and when mastered, one's understanding of what the computer is doing and how to write code that reflects that is far enhanced over less rigidly-defined languages. Good luck and happy coding!

Steve

* circa 1985 on an ATT PC6300 (8086 processor)
Pascal has made amazing strides in recent years. Delphi and Free Pascal/Lazarus have been helping Pascal to become a super modern language with tons of extra support.

For me it was an obvious choice because of the easier to understand syntax compared to its contemporaries while not giving up on flexibility like other educational languages. It's exciting because I've previously had issues with my other programming attempts but Pascal has really been intuitive for me.

You should check out some of the new stuff that has been going on:

https://www.lazarus-ide.org/
https://www.freepascal.org/

Heck you can even get a free version of Delphi now:

https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter

Granted most of that stuff is out of my scope for now, but its exciting that I have such a smooth upgrade path once I improve.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 10-19-2019 at 04:47 AM.
10-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #17477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
For very cheap from ebay:

Picked it up for it's specific old fashioned eighties rendering/contrast charactaristics
I have one of those, really nice little lens. I think mine cost £15
10-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #17478
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
You should check out some of the new stuff that has been going on:

Lazarus Homepage
Free Pascal - Advanced open source Pascal compiler for Pascal and Object Pascal - Home Page

Heck you can even get a free version of Delphi now:

Delphi: Community Edition - Embarcadero
Thanks!

Steve
10-19-2019, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #17479
Pentaxian

Picked it up for it's specific old fashioned eighties rendering/contrast charactaristics
love using my sears 28 @ f4 to maybe f8 under 10ft....so much fun playing with that dof especially with my puppers

an ok example in poor light @f4 K50_9133-ppx6-1080 | was looking for chipmunks but now anyth? | Flickr

10-19-2019, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #17480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Bought some more lenses on line - an Olympus 50/1.8 for OM, a Tamron Adaptall 28/2.8, an Olympus 14-42 for their 4/3 cameras, and a couple of zooms which are probably rubbish. I'll go into more detail when I get them and see what they're like.
Received the first package today, the Adaptall 28/2.8 which is immaculate - cost £21.50 including P&P but I think it'll be profitable, the last one sold for £40+

And some good stuff at the car boot fair today - a Praktica LTL with Helios 44-2 and case for £12 and a Sigma AF 28-70 3.5-4.5 for Pentax for a fiver - both nice and clean, the only problem I've found is that the Praktica shutter sticks at 1/4 sec and slower.

Also went back to the Cash Converters where I got the boxed Tamron lenses a couple of weeks ago and bought the three Adaptall mounts they had - the Nikon AI one for me, and two Contax-Yashica which I'll sell - for £8; I should have bought them last time but I was trying to get them to split up the lot and only sell me the Nikon one, and they weren't prepared to do that. It was stupid because the CY mounts will easily sell for more than I could have got knocked off the price if they'd only sold me the Nikon one.

And one charity shop find, a copy of Parallels for Mac for £15 - it's a few years old but hopefully still compatible with my mac since I only want to run Windows 7 and one photo application.
10-19-2019, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #17481
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have one of those, really nice little lens. I think mine cost £15
Then I won't tell you I paid £5,32 for it and I'll omit the shipping was £12,11 and the crappy paypal conversion rate i'll ignore altogether.
10-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #17482
Pentaxian

Agfa B-2 shur-shot.....cleaned up very nicely....had to hammer the shutter plate back in place as the nails had backed out enough and messed with the operation of it....works fine now....gonna be fun running a roll through this

also included with this was a bell & Howell zoomatic director series 8mm movie camera.....cleaned it up as well an it looks nice....it functions as well after winding it up also has animation feature which seems neat.....it had a nifty hand strap that fits the tripod lug may be able to use this on various slr's versus a neck strap

10-19-2019, 03:08 PM - 5 Likes   #17483
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I am so excited about this I am posting it everywhere.

Has anyone else got one sent to them?

This t-shirt showed up in my mailbox today. No note inside the envelope, and I had no idea it was coming. I don't mean to be unappreciative, because it is cool they elected to send one out to me, even in my size, but I really want the hotshoe cover.

Pentax K-1, Pentax A28mm f2.8.

10-19-2019, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #17484
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
whatever it is, you'll be sore afterwards....
"sore" doesn't cover it!

Yesterday two young men who volunteered for some gardening work for a small reward turned up and lifted turf, and when enough had been lifted I laid weed matting then shifted the pebbles to cover the matting. Then the turf they lifted was shaken to recover the soil (which I have a use for} and the grass bit disposed of. At the end of yesterday they had achieved roughly half of the job, I had laid half the pebbles, and shifted the collected the soil in a heap. Last night I stood in the shower and wept quietly to myself as I couldn't bend many of my joints....

This morning I had to move the rest of the soil to its final resting place (veggy beds at the top of the garden} then move the rest of the pebbles as the truck driver could only drop them in front of the garage door and I needed my car out. I am sitting here wondering if I have the strength to take my boots offf.......
10-19-2019, 11:36 PM - 2 Likes   #17485
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
"sore" doesn't cover it!

Yesterday two young men who volunteered for some gardening work for a small reward turned up and lifted turf, and when enough had been lifted I laid weed matting then shifted the pebbles to cover the matting. Then the turf they lifted was shaken to recover the soil (which I have a use for} and the grass bit disposed of. At the end of yesterday they had achieved roughly half of the job, I had laid half the pebbles, and shifted the collected the soil in a heap. Last night I stood in the shower and wept quietly to myself as I couldn't bend many of my joints....

This morning I had to move the rest of the soil to its final resting place (veggy beds at the top of the garden} then move the rest of the pebbles as the truck driver could only drop them in front of the garage door and I needed my car out. I am sitting here wondering if I have the strength to take my boots offf.......
I feel your pain.

As we get older we often forget the need to stay flexible and fit.

Until an encounter with some vigorous activity or another, such as manually moving a sizable amount of heavy material.

And then for a few days we pay the price with sore muscles.

An amazing thing about the human brain is the ability to forget the pain we experience. So again and again, over and over, we engage in strenuous activity above and beyond the daily amount that is normal for us, and we pay the price yet again.
10-20-2019, 12:29 AM   #17486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then I won't tell you I paid £5,32 for it and I'll omit the shipping was £12,11 and the crappy paypal conversion rate i'll ignore altogether.
There is a Nikon version. I bought it for my friend, it cost £30 it is a nice little lens though
10-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #17487
Pentaxian

Another OK day - I got a Vivitar 28/2.8 for Pentax KA for £8, a Hoya 28/2.8 and a Komura 2x converter (both for Pentax KM) for £6, a Soligor autoflex bellows unit with slide copy attachment for Nikon for £10, and a Sony DSC-V1 digital camera for £10. The DSC-V1 is one of their cameras with Nightvision infrared mode, it's a bit of a gamble since it doesn't yet have a charger but I sold the last one at a good price so I think it's worth the risk. The lenses are nice and clean and seem to be working well so I should do well out of the day anyway.
10-21-2019, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #17488
Pentaxian

After my employer decided to cap all USB ports to make writing to USB drives impossible I've been forced to finally upgrade our aging (aged??) Acer Windows 7 laptop to something that can boot up in less than twenty minutes. Yesterday I received the new Lenovo Yoga 530 convertible laptop - 8th Gen i7 processor, 8 gigs of RAM, 512GB SSD. It seems pretty sweet. Now I need to load all of my photo processing software onto it to see how it handles that.
10-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #17489
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just received from a forum member a carry speed VF-3 Universal LCD view finder accessory

I will be using it with my K 01

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-21-2019 at 04:12 PM.
10-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #17490
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I will be using it with my K 01
now that's nifty! especially with the k-01