Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #17656
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
No, it is SMC DA 40mm F2.8. I already have Auto Revuenon 45 / 2.8, like a manual focus pancake lens.
good lens

have fun with it

11-01-2019, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #17657
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Order from B&H came in: Film developer (Legacypro L110) & fixer (Photographers Formulary TF-5), Printfile archivel film storage pages, & a couple reloadable film cartridges.

Everything else came from either ebay (bulk film, bulk loader), photrio (developing tank), or the 99cents store (tape, plastic syringes, hangers). Ordered a digital thermometer which should be here in a week or so.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-T113  Photo 
11-01-2019, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #17658
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
A small ball head Innorel D30 just arrived! better than I expected.
11-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #17659
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
good lens

have fun with it
Thanks. The lens is a very good companion for a slower zoom (like 18-135mm, for example) when there is little light and I need a fast lens. It takes up very little space, it fits in any pocket.

11-02-2019, 02:38 AM   #17660
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Thanks. The lens is a very good companion for a slower zoom (like 18-135mm, for example) when there is little light and I need a fast lens. It takes up very little space, it fits in any pocket.
very true and if someone want to go smaller and lighter still, they could look at the " best lens in its class [ of one ] " the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The SMC Pentax DA 40mm XS is based on the optical design of the SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited, but its exterior is designed by Marc Newson so as to match the design of the K-01 mirrorless camera. The lens will work with Pentax DSLRs as well as with the K-01.

It is smaller being only 9.2 mm thick. The aperture blades are rounded which produces a smooth bokeh. The front element has SP coating which repels dust, water and grease and which makes it easier to wipe the front element clean.
Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I think you will enjoy your 40mm Limited
11-02-2019, 03:47 AM   #17661
Pentaxian

Sensor cleaning swabs and solution. Not overly necessary but some persistent dusts that the blower and sensor shaking couldn’t clear. Has made a bit of a difference and almost certainly a placebo but feels like it confirms focus more accurately with manual lenses!
11-02-2019, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #17662
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Sensor cleaning swabs and solution. Not overly necessary but some persistent dusts that the blower and sensor shaking couldn’t clear. Has made a bit of a difference and almost certainly a placebo but feels like it confirms focus more accurately with manual lenses!
There's dust on the sensor of my Pany G9 that the sensor clean function won't budge, so I'll have to swab the surface. Makes me very nervous. I feel like I'm approaching repair of an antique Swiss watch with Craftsman socket wrenches. Two left hands and both all thumbs. And the thumbs are brown not green when it comes to plants.

11-02-2019, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #17663
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
There's dust on the sensor of my Pany G9 that the sensor clean function won't budge, so I'll have to swab the surface. Makes me very nervous. I feel like I'm approaching repair of an antique Swiss watch with Craftsman socket wrenches. Two left hands and both all thumbs. And the thumbs are brown not green when it comes to plants.
Walter:
I bought the Sensor cleaning kit from RICOH/Pentax (about $55) and used it on my filthy Leica TL APS-c sensor. It worked perfectly, though it is not for the faint of heart, and the sticky silicone wand should not be forced or dragged: I gently pulled straight up and that worked.
11-02-2019, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #17664
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
on the topic of computer mice, even though I am still using my old Logitech MX 518 Refresh every day for more than 10 years now, I ordered one of the reissued G MX518. The old one is getting filthy fast even with regular cleanings, and Amazon offered one in "EU packaging" and delivery time of a few weeks for a third off the price. I couldn't justify not getting one any more...
I had the G400, successor to the MX 518, and it still works great. As does my Logitech Mouse Man Dual Optical. I don't think I've had problems with Logitech mice... the reason I switched to newer ones were features and the lust for new hardware, rather than failure. Maybe I'm clicking gentler than others?

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The left front wiper has an airfoil on the blade frame. It can’t be transferred to an aftermarket frame. Without it the wiper lifts off the windshield at speed, and then of course the wiper is useless.

The aftermarket rear wiper is either too long or too short, depending on which length you get. So again, not acceptable.

The right wiper could work from the aftermarket, but why have one oddball?
Wow. I feel you. But other owners must be facing the same issue? I believe Bosch has wipers with airfoils... maybe those would work?

Acquisition: 10 pack of metro tickets in Paris. First time in Paris. What a gorgeous town! And 10 tickets are more than enough since we mostly walked... it doesn't matter where you go, it's nice. Well worth a visit (and I quite enjoyed the chicken at Firmin le Barbier...).

I guess I didn't mention that I bought the Manfrotto 460mg a while back. I'm not the biggest fan of ball heads and rather prefer the 3 way... things, so after the head of my Slik Pro 400 DX fell apart after many years I had to get a replacement. It's fine... really light, which is nice, but it's not as easy to adjust. I also got the Manfrotto Element Carbon small, which changed the way I use tripods: It's so light and compact I can bring it anywhere without being weighted down. And it's still strong enough for most uses.
11-02-2019, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #17665
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Wow. I feel you. But other owners must be facing the same issue?
Most car owners are not as discriminating as I, or as fussy about such details.

And I suspect that many wind up using aftermarket blades, and then suffer through poor visibility during rain in heavy traffic.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I believe Bosch has wipers with airfoils... maybe those would work?
I'll have to look into that, thanks for the tip!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-02-2019 at 11:57 AM.
11-02-2019, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #17666
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Most car owners are not as discriminating as I, or as fussy about such details.

And I suspect that many wind up using aftermarket blades, and then suffer through poor visibility during rain in heavy traffic.

I'll have to look into that, thanks for the tip!
Yikes. Good visibility is crucial when driving. That's why I had to get a car with adaptive headlights... well worth their money. Next time I guess I'll have to get a car with matrix LEDs.

Windshield Wipers | Bosch Auto Parts

I was thinking about the AeroTwin, but they have multiple designs with spoilers. I believe I'm using AeroTwin, but I'd have to check. I let my dealership take care of that for me... I see that as a donation towards continuous good service where they work for me rather than for their bank account (i.e. telling me things need to be done that are perfectly fine... I told them I thought my shock absorbers were going bad, and instead of replacing them and earning big bucks they did a test drive and then told me nah, everything fine, it just needs some grease).
11-02-2019, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #17667
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Just go slow and try and avoid any pressure. If you’re familiar with cut throat shaving or indeed double-edge blade shaving the mantra is the same. Go easy and no pressure. I’m sure you’d be fine!
11-02-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #17668
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Just go slow and try and avoid any pressure. If you’re familiar with cut throat shaving or indeed double-edge blade shaving the mantra is the same. Go easy and no pressure. I’m sure you’d be fine!
For at least some years my son used a couple cutthroats inherited from his grandfather, also using a mug, round soap bar and boar-bristle brush. I feared getting an emergency call from my daughter-in-law. I have a kit and cleaned APS-C sensors a few times, but it still unnerves me. Feel like I'm about to attempt fly-tying while wearing boxing gloves, or maybe tackling bypass surgery after taking a correspondence course.
11-02-2019, 05:04 PM - 3 Likes   #17669
Veteran Member

I found Star Trek T.O.S season 2 & 3 at the usual flea market for 6$.

11-02-2019, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #17670
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Walter:
I bought the Sensor cleaning kit from RICOH/Pentax (about $55) and used it on my filthy Leica TL APS-c sensor. It worked perfectly, though it is not for the faint of heart, and the sticky silicone wand should not be forced or dragged: I gently pulled straight up and that worked.
I just love that the product number for the sticky wand is O-ICK1