Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2019, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #17701
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Mine too.

Do you realize just how hard it is to type upside down and backwards?
It's all done with mirrors. I make enough errors typing the more-or-less normal way, but in that manner.....my mind boggles at the thought.

11-05-2019, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #17702
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I think Adam has some anti-shouting feature enabled with the forum software.

Try this:

˙˙˙WOOɹ פNIΛI˥ ɹ∩O⅄ NI ┴HפIɹ פNIԀW∩Ԁ 'ɹƎMOԀ ℲO S┴┴∀M pN∀S∩OH┴ ∀ S,┴I 'HO

˙˙˙ɯooɹ ƃuᴉʌᴉl ɹnoʎ uᴉ ʇɥƃᴉɹ ƃuᴉdɯnd 'ɹǝʍod ɟo sʇʇɐʍ puɐsnoɥʇ ɐ s,ʇᴉ 'ɥo

There, that's better.

I think.

Wait.

Never mind . . . . . . .
Showoff.
11-05-2019, 08:56 PM - 5 Likes   #17703
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
ROchester to Yellowstone, how's the drive? hours? splits?
Not sure of hours. About 2,100 miles driving or so. Splits as follows:

Day 1 - Rochester, NY to Des Moines, Iowa. 940 miles. Longest day of driving. I split off of I90 in western Indiana to skip driving through Chicago

Day 2 - Des Moines, IA to as far as Gilette, WY. I80 to I29N to I90W to cross South Dakota. Probably about 650 miles, but speed limit is 80mph. May or may not stop at Badlands, NP along the way. Start driving about 07:00. Stop about 18:00 or so. Depends upon how we are doing.

Day 3 - Stay on I90 until we get to Livingston, MT and then take Rte 89 south to Gardiner, MT. Usually arrive in the middle of the afternoon. Check into the hotel and then hit the northern area of the park. About 550 miles or so to Gardiner.

We stay in Gardiner for the whole time we are there. Less crowded. Close to the Lamar Valley where a lot of the wildlife is. Then we poke around the park as we see fit. Stay 5 nights. We usually do breakfast at hotel (included in the rate) at 6:00AM and are in the park at 6:30 to 6:45. This gives us a few hours to hit the hot spots before they become crowded.

One the way home we drive as the mood fits us. May or may not take the same route etc. I have been retired for 3 years and my wife just retired this year so the only pressure for time is our reservations in Gardiner MT. The 80MPH speed limit out west really allows you to cover ground.

I much prefer driving to flying. Flying has become something that has to be endured rather than enjoyed. in 2018 I met up with aslyfox in Yellowstone. He flew up from about 1,000 miles away. He flew home, ran into several delays and it took him two days to get home and me three. I find driving out west very relaxing. Once one gets past Chicago traffic really lets up.

If we took 4 days to drive out we would simply do more sightseeing. We live in a beautiful country. The photo below is in Yellowstone at the top of Mammoth Hot Springs.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-05-2019, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #17704
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote

I much prefer driving to flying. Flying has become something that has to be endured rather than enjoyed.

I also much prefer driving to flying, for the reason you indicate...and also...you never know what you will come across around the next bend in the road...while driving. In a passenger plane...I've always got a pretty good idea what what the flight will be like...and that usually holds no visual treats or much in the way of new experiences.

T.S. Eliot said...."The journey not the arrival matters. " I think he was on to something.

11-06-2019, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #17705
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
ROchester to Yellowstone, how's the drive? hours? splits?
About two days, if you drive like me.

Three for most folks.
11-06-2019, 05:10 AM   #17706
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure of hours. About 2,100 miles driving or so. . . . We stay in Gardiner for the whole time we are there. Less crowded. Close to the Lamar Valley where a lot of the wildlife is. Then we poke around the park as we see fit. Stay 5 nights. . .
wise advice to avoid the area around Chicago

I've stayed in Gardner ( meeting up with gaweidert as a matter of fact ) and it was a very nice location to access the Park

My wife and I will be back in Yellowstone at the beginning of June.

since my wife doesn't like to be away from her job we fly in and out of Jackson Wy and drive a rental SUV into the Park

( that way we maximize our time in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons Parks )

I would love to drive but it must be a mutual decision

one thing to remember about Yellowstone - you travel around the park on a two lane black top and traffic can be bad when everyone hits the park,

wildlife always have the right of way
11-06-2019, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #17707
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

About two days, if you drive like me.

Three for most folks.
I could do it in two days but now that i am retired I like to stop and smell the flowers along the way. Quirky local museums are the best. Usually they are started by people with an intense interest in a subject and not run by professional curators who are basically like any other business manager.

11-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #17708
Pentaxian

A modest Cash Converters find - a Cosina AF 100-300 5.6-6.7 for Sony/Minolta, £15.67 including postage, working well. It won't make a huge profit, but I should get some.
11-06-2019, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #17709
Pentaxian

Two recent thrift store "junk bin" finds ... both 3€ each. I have already tested the Olympus mju II and it works fine. No light leaks around the lens barrel, etc. which is a common problem for this highly over-priced and highly over-rated compact.

And I fixed the stuck shutter blades on the Rollei with a few sprays of lighter fluid refill gas ... there's no rear element, so open the back and one has direct access to the shutter blades. An easy fix and ready for a test run in B&W. I will probably trade or sell these two off later on ... on verra.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 11-06-2019 at 07:37 AM.
11-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #17710
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax DA 12-24mm F4 Lens

Recent purchase from member aam

Since my wife has taken to shooting with a DSLR, I needed another SWA lens. I hope the quality is comparable to my Sigma 10-20mm

11-07-2019, 06:25 PM - 2 Likes   #17711
Pentaxian

Orfon Red 2M cartridge for my turntable... I've been almost 1 year without a cartridge after my then 1.5 year-old ripped the old one (turntable was to her reach).

THE SOUND IS AMAZING - I had forgotten... first LP played (currently playing) Abbey Road... just because it was randomly nearest the set up.

---------- Post added 11-07-19 at 08:27 PM ----------

Not sure of hours. About 2,100 miles driving or so. Splits as follows:
Thank you for sharing such great details of this amazing road trip. From Eastern NY my be too much of a treck for me and my fam... someday...
11-07-2019, 07:13 PM - 3 Likes   #17712
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for sharing such great details of this amazing road trip. From Eastern NY my be too much of a treck for me and my fam... someday...
Nonsense. In 1991 We loaded the four boys (ages 5 -12) into our Ford Aerostar minivan, hooked up our Jayco pop-up tent trailer and headed out west. By the time we got home almost 5 weeks later we had covered 9,100 miles (14,000 Km or so). Covered 19 states, 19 national parks, various state parks etc. Stayed up in the northern part of the country too.

What is funny is that our boys saw the Pacific Ocean before they saw the Atlantic . Also saw the Rocky Mountains before they saw the Adirondacks and they are only 2 and 1/2 hours from where we live. Awesome trip and since we camped the whole way, we did the whole trip for what it would have cost me to take the family to a Disney property for 4 days.

One morning as we headed out, the kids asked how far we had to go that day. I answered 250 miles. Their response was "That's no too bad.".
11-07-2019, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #17713
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Recent purchase from member aam

Since my wife has taken to shooting with a DSLR, I needed another SWA lens. I hope the quality is comparable to my Sigma 10-20mm
I have a Pentax 12-24...excellent lens. I use mine mostly for shooting vintage vehicles. I can't compare it to the Sigma 10-20 (never used one), but I think you'll be more than pleasantly surprised with this lens.
11-07-2019, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #17714
Pentaxian

bolsey model B-2.....the shutter was stuck open....after 'taking apart' got it going...it was a bit of a bitch....it's a tiny little thing and will interesting running a roll through it
still need to clean it up some...also has a dainty never ready case making a solid lil package!

including was a Jiffy Kodak six-20.....should clean up well and be an ok display piece
11-07-2019, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #17715
Pentaxian

After a month of waiting, I finally got in a lens hood for my DA* 55/1.4 from Japan. No photos or SMUs at the moment.
« The Joke Thread | - »