Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2019, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #17731
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Meet the form of you Destructor. ALL the Adaptall lenses. A mite more than twenty I’d say.
But wait, there are more than even those listed on that site. A good example might be my 72B SP 90/2.8 Macro which was announced as new product in 1996 and went out of production sometime in the mid-2000s. FWIW, the Adaptall-2 28-200/3.8-5.6 (171A) is still available by special order should one wish to purchase new.

Steve

11-09-2019, 03:07 PM - 2 Likes   #17732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I almost never post on this thread except to comment on equipment someone else has obtained. But sometimes someone posts news about non-photographic equipment so I'll take that as license for this report. After two exasperating 15 minute failed attempts to start a string trimmer (weed-whacker if you prefer) that I purchased just last year, and it's a 4-cycle unit because I was mislead to believe those were easier to start than the two-cycle I discarded maybe two decades back, I decided it was madness to spend more energy trying to start a machine than to work with it once it's going. SOOOO, I ordered and today picked up from the store an 82 volt cordless unit, the most powerful I could find, because I want to be able to attach a brush-cutter blade*. It arrived today, and as expected, it's heavy, but it does have a shoulder strap - actually better called a harness or hanger - to ease the strain on arms & hands. The battery, as you might expect quite heavy, is charging. Maybe in a few days I'll have some cheerful news about whacking weeds.

*Owner-user comments say the blade will go easily through a one inch (2.5cm) sapling.
11-09-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #17733
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I almost never post on this thread except to comment on equipment someone else has obtained. But sometimes someone posts news about non-photographic equipment so I'll take that as license for this report. After two exasperating 15 minute failed attempts to start a string trimmer (weed-whacker if you prefer) that I purchased just last year, and it's a 4-cycle unit because I was mislead to believe those were easier to start than the two-cycle I discarded maybe two decades back, I decided it was madness to spend more energy trying to start a machine than to work with it once it's going. SOOOO, I ordered and today picked up from the store an 82 volt cordless unit, the most powerful I could find, because I want to be able to attach a brush-cutter blade*. It arrived today, and as expected, it's heavy, but it does have a shoulder strap - actually better called a harness or hanger - to ease the strain on arms & hands. The battery, as you might expect quite heavy, is charging. Maybe in a few days I'll have some cheerful news about whacking weeds.

*Owner-user comments say the blade will go easily through a one inch (2.5cm) sapling.
Try adding 1/2 oz./qt. of Sta-Bil in your 4-Cycle trimmer tank and letting it sit for a few days, then try it again. Treating with Sta-Bil before storage prevents gumming in the fuels system.
11-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #17734
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Sounds like you have bushes that really need whacking in your part of the world!

11-09-2019, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #17735
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Sounds like you have bushes that really need whacking in your part of the world!
The wildflower garden was a wooded plot that I had cleared of trees several years ago. Saplings sprout all over and can easily grow to 1/2 inch (1.25cm) or more in one growing season because of the stored energy in the extensive root systems of the big old trees that give rise to the regrowth.
11-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #17736
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I finally got in a new camera bag! A Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II to replace my current 400 AW. I traded a Flipside 500 AW II for it. Bought the 500 thinking I would be able to use it more but it was much too large for my needs.
I own the BP 250 AW II, I find it to be a great pack. I hope you enjoy that 400 as much as I enjoy the 250.
11-09-2019, 06:34 PM - 2 Likes   #17737
Veteran Member

The wildflower garden was a wooded plot that I had cleared of trees several years ago. Saplings sprout all over and can easily grow to 1/2 inch (1.25cm) or more in one growing season because of the stored energy in the extensive root systems of the big old trees that give rise to the regrowth.
I bought the Cub Cadet rear wheeled 22 inch trimmer a few years back to replace a 8 year old Sears Craftsman version I bought on sale. 6.75 ft-pounds of torque, small sapling shiver at my approach. But light enough to go up and down the hill easily. Think cheaper, (lots cheaper!) DR trimmer.
And I just got a new Delkin USB 3 card reader, for CF and up to UHS II cards, and it is a lot faster uploading images from my Delkin UHS II cards. (Just because my K-1 doesn't put them on the card at those speeds, doesn't stop me from copying them to my computer at those speeds!)
I also got an 8GB external drive for backups from B and H along with the card reader. After I partition it, we will see how that works.

11-10-2019, 05:22 AM   #17738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

If you were using gasoline with 10% alcohol in it that is the problem. It really gums up the carburetors on lawn equipment as they sit around with long periods between starting. Look around for any gas stations that sell real gasoline and use that for lawn mowers, snow blowers etc. I would take the trimmer to get repaired. Once in awhile add a little "Sea Foam" to the gas. It is great for keeping your carburetor clean. Once it is working again add add Stabil to the gas as mentioned above. It really works.

New to us a an artificial Christmas tree with 700 LED lights. Does patterns and everything. Have a choice of "warm" white or colors. The cat is mightily impressed. At 54 pounds (23 kg) we are hoping the cat cannot pull this one down. Already up without and decorations on it. We wanted to make sure it works and have the novelty of it wear off for the cat before we decorate it. Even has a remote!!!!!
11-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #17739

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
LBA

" Resistance is Futile "

We are the Borg - YouTube
It Is So.... 46 And Counting
11-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #17740
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
It Is So.... 46 And Counting
46 adaptall ?
11-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #17741
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I
New to us a an artificial Christmas tree with 700 LED lights. Does patterns and everything. Have a choice of "warm" white or colors. The cat is mightily impressed. At 54 pounds (23 kg) we are hoping the cat cannot pull this one down. Already up without and decorations on it. We wanted to make sure it works and have the novelty of it wear off for the cat before we decorate it. Even has a remote!!!!!
One of our cats (now sadly long deceased) took a fancy to the "snow" on the artificial Xmas tree that we then had - and ate all of that "snow" off the lower branches!

PS: Hope the PSU can cope with all those LEDs on a continuous basis - the current artificial tree has fibre optic feeds to a lot of illuminated decorations, and there's motor in the base that sweeps the light source continuously around those feeds.

As bought, the tree would be illuminated for maybe 30-40 mins but then would "shut down" - turns out that the PSU transformer was in a very small enclosure and overheated to the point that the internal thermal trip would do just that until it cooled down enough to start up again! Took the transformer out of that enclosure and put it in a much larger ventilated enclosure with 2 small fans near the vents -has never shut down after prolonged running since then

Last edited by jeallen01; 11-10-2019 at 09:24 AM.
11-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #17742
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If you were using gasoline with 10% alcohol in it that is the problem.
I was complaining about my lawn mower being difficult to start, and a friend said to use premium fuel from one of the two vendors that omit the alcohol in it. Starts first pull ever since.
11-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #17743
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I was complaining about my lawn mower being difficult to start, and a friend said to use premium fuel from one of the two vendors that omit the alcohol in it. Starts first pull ever since.
Lots of snowmobiles and ATVs up here so there are a number of gas stations that have ethanol free gas for sale. Expensive but still cheaper than buying it from a hardware store, HD, or Lowes by the quart or gallon.
11-11-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #17744
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Lots of snowmobiles and ATVs up here so there are a number of gas stations that have ethanol free gas for sale. Expensive but still cheaper than buying it from a hardware store, HD, or Lowes by the quart or gallon.
Considering the amount of gas consumed by a mower or trimmer, a modest extra cost per gallon is not a major concern.I've been out to use the Snapper 82v for a while and found that it cuts well with the supplied string at least through thick grass and small "weeds," but it won't cut some of the larger, tougher, sometimes woody growth (example = a lot of blackberry bramble). Tthe string does wear down or break quickly. I'll have to use a brush-cutter attachment most of the time up back. The unit has two speeds, the slower is sufficient for grass but I suspect the higher speed will be better when using the brush-cutter. It's quite heavy, but no heavier than the gas-powered unit it's replacing. Run time looks like a bit over an hour at the lower speed. That's not enough endurance to do all the area I want to cut down, but I don't have the endurance to do all of it at one go.

AND BTW: Using it for an hour is a a great substitute for a sleep-aid.
11-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #17745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AND BTW: Using it for an hour is a a great substitute for a sleep-aid.
I find my snowblower has the same effect.