Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2019, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #17746
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No car boot sales etc. this weekend, I was out of town at an SF convention with nothing interesting in the immediate area, but while I was away someone bought the big Cinemascope adapter I was playing with, so I had to run out to post it as soon as I got back. And promptly found a nice vintage Canon FX SLR body with a very good FL 50mm 1.8 and case in a charity shop. Cost me £20, VERY pleased!

11-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #17747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Considering the amount of gas consumed by a mower or trimmer, a modest extra cost per gallon is not a major concern.I've been out to use the Snapper 82v for a while and found that it cuts well with the supplied string at least through thick grass and small "weeds," but it won't cut some of the larger, tougher, sometimes woody growth (example = a lot of blackberry bramble). Tthe string does wear down or break quickly. I'll have to use a brush-cutter attachment most of the time up back. The unit has two speeds, the slower is sufficient for grass but I suspect the higher speed will be better when using the brush-cutter. It's quite heavy, but no heavier than the gas-powered unit it's replacing. Run time looks like a bit over an hour at the lower speed. That's not enough endurance to do all the area I want to cut down, but I don't have the endurance to do all of it at one go.

AND BTW: Using it for an hour is a a great substitute for a sleep-aid.
Sometimes when I wake up or just cannot sleep, around 12:30 to 2:00 P.M. most likely, I am apt to find my way to my camera-office area and spend some time looking over my lens collection, planning which lens to use with which camera, and generally wasting time in a photographic manner before tiring myself enough to return to the bedroom and do another sleep shift.
11-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #17748
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Sometimes when I wake up or just cannot sleep, around 12:30 to 2:00 P.M. most likely, I am apt to find my way to my camera-office area and spend some time looking over my lens collection, planning which lens to use with which camera, and generally wasting time in a photographic manner before tiring myself enough to return to the bedroom and do another sleep shift.
I've started to use a random number app to select the lens to use

I list my lenses [ not a huge collection compared to many ]

and let the app do its magic

this was suggested in a recent thread

PentaxForums.com → Photography → General Photography → Use your Gear randomly

Read more at: Use your Gear randomly - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
11-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #17749
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
No car boot sales etc. this weekend, I was out of town at an SF convention with nothing interesting in the immediate area, but while I was away someone bought the big Cinemascope adapter I was playing with, so I had to run out to post it as soon as I got back. And promptly found a nice vintage Canon FX SLR body with a very good FL 50mm 1.8 and case in a charity shop. Cost me £20, VERY pleased!
Just tested the shutter, slightly less pleased - it isn't opening fully at 1/250th and up. But still a very collectible camera for those that like that sort of thing.

11-11-2019, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #17750
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I was complaining about my lawn mower being difficult to start, and a friend said to use premium fuel from one of the two vendors that omit the alcohol in it. Starts first pull ever since.
It took the death of two string trimmers, a mower, and my chainsaw to convince me to find a source of "clear" premium unleaded suitable for boat fuel. At $6.00 - $8.00 USD per U.S. gallon, the solution is not cheap, but neither are new chain saws.

Steve
11-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #17751

Recent purchase : Godox V1 + X-Pro
11-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #17752
Pentaxian

My most recent purchases are: a Cokin 82mm adapter ring for Z series holders, an ICE 100mm ND64 square ND filter (I haven't been able to find many reviews on ICE filters but from what I've read, they seem decent), a Hitech 105mm threaded ring, and a B+W 105mm HTC Kasemann CPL.

11-12-2019, 04:51 AM   #17753
Pentaxian

An eBay lot I bought on Sunday night just turned up - a very nice Pentax KM 1:4/75-150, and a Pentax KM 1:1.7/50 which has some internal dust but not enough to cause problems, both with the original caps and in really good condition. £24 including postage, very pleased.
11-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #17754
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
An eBay lot I bought on Sunday night just turned up - a very nice Pentax KM 1:4/75-150, and a Pentax KM 1:1.7/50 which has some internal dust but not enough to cause problems, both with the original caps and in really good condition. £24 including postage, very pleased.
Nice pick up. I missed out on an auction for a 75-150mm f/4 which went for less than £20 posted from memory. Good price for the two; I've the A-50/1.7 and that's a lovely little lens.
11-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #17755
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It took the death of two string trimmers, a mower, and my chainsaw to convince me to find a source of "clear" premium unleaded suitable for boat fuel. At $6.00 - $8.00 USD per U.S. gallon, the solution is not cheap, but neither are new chain saws.

Steve
Wow. Around here some stations carry 90 octane real gasoline. Cost about $3.35 a gallon. It's what I use in my Nissan Frontier to. A little more pep and better gas mileage. The whole adding alcohol to gasoline thing the a scam. No way lower gas mileage and more damage to engines is good for the environment .

Fired up the snowblower yesterday to prep for a snowstorm. It has been half full of gas since last March or so. I added some Stabil when I put it away. Started right up after sitting for 8 months. Stabil and Sea Foam are your friends.
11-12-2019, 09:09 AM - 3 Likes   #17756
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

a nice, shiny, new GE washing machine....

11-12-2019, 11:25 AM - 2 Likes   #17757
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
What is the cartridge attached to?
A tonearm?
11-12-2019, 11:35 AM - 6 Likes   #17758
Veteran Member

After months of waffling of buying a 77mm or trying to find a FA 85mm used, I got a FA 77mm Limited from Adorama in V condition (which means scratches and dented but working condition)...I figured if its a bit scratched its not a problem since the limiteds have legendary build quality. Instead, I think someone mis-categorized the lens, because I got in almost Mint Condition lens in almost perfect shape with the bag and caps.

So I just got a Made in Japan Mint condition FA 77mm Limited for $309 plus tax. Needless to say I'm quite happy I hit buy on that purchase.
11-12-2019, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #17759
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A tonearm?
Ha,ha
11-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #17760
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
After months of waffling of buying a 77mm or trying to find a FA 85mm used, I got a FA 77mm Limited from Adorama in V condition (which means scratches and dented but working condition)...I figured if its a bit scratched its not a problem since the limiteds have legendary build quality. Instead, I think someone mis-categorized the lens, because I got in almost Mint Condition lens in almost perfect shape with the bag and caps.

So I just got a Made in Japan Mint condition FA 77mm Limited for $309 plus tax. Needless to say I'm quite happy I hit buy on that purchase.
If the optics and AF are in the same condition, that's one heck of a good deal. Enjoy!