Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2019, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #17836
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm impressed...
Coincidentally, I received my used 12-24 on Saturday. I've only tested it for possible damage issues, but I too am impressed so far. I noticed a tendency to starburst points of light, even at wider apertures like ƒ4.0. I'm looking forward to using it more.

I've ordered a lens case from EBay that I think will fit the odd size well. I'll post how it actually fits when I get it.

Medium Wide size

11-19-2019, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #17837
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
That was THE camera I dreamed of having, to replace my Instamatic clone.
I would drool over the Mamiya/Sekor ads in National Geographic...

Chris
Same here, back-in-the-day!

That is why, when one came up on the marketplace here in essentially new cosmetic condition for less than $30 USD, I jumped at it. $120 for a full CLA with replacement of all the meter power wiring (battery juice wicked down the wire) and I had a what I could not afford in 1970. How is it as a shooter? It is OK, but holds the distinction of being the second-largest/heaviest 35mm SLR on shelf, first place being held by an Exakta V1000. I think of my 1000 DTL as being the Sedan deVille of M42 SLRs.*

Steve

* My Ricoh Singlex TLS holding the position of Willys JEEP.
11-19-2019, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #17838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that is extremely cool!
Yeah - we’re just stunned.

About thirty years ago a guy from Wooster, MA called out of the blue to offer her her father’s .22 caliber rifle she thought had been lost in his youth - but it had been borrowed by his cousin, who was returning it after all those years. He tracked her down through her high school. That was long odds, this is crazy.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-19-2019 at 11:55 AM.
11-19-2019, 11:59 AM   #17839
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Got the big job lot, some nice stuff - not incredibly well packed but nothing seems to be damaged:

Minolta Vectis S-1 (their APS film SLR) with 25-150mm lens, cap, and hood - has batteries in it and working well so far as I can tell without film. This will probably be swapped for something from a dealer I know that collects APS.
A nice Jessop nylon bag the right size for the above.
Centon 70-210 4.5-5.6 for Minolta MD - OK except a filter is stuck on at present, with case and caps.
Makinon 300mm f4 for Minolta MD - slight dust, otherwise good, with case and caps.
Helios-44-2 58/2 - dust, possible fungus but looks fixable
Jessop Extension tubes for Minolta MD
Vivitar SB4 electronic flash (not tested yet, no corrosion)
Soligor 135/2.8 (t-mount) - not stopping down but may be fixable.
Aico manual M42 tubes
Soligor slide viewer - rubbish, full of corrosion
A Topman tripod, usable but a bit light weight
A 58mm Zeiss rubber hood for their push-on filter system, also a 58mm polariser and 55-58mm adapter / skylight filter for the system, both boxed with cases.
a Jessop fake Cokin filter holder and some gel filters
also a generic rubber hood, a 55mm Y2 filter, a 55mm polariser, two cable releases, a couple of cables that don't fit anything, and a kit for adapting M42 lenses to MD which has the key tool and an M42 rear cap but not the actual adapter.

total cost was £38.50 which is a bit on the high side, but it's a charity seller and I ought to come out slightly ahead if I do a good swap for the Vectis.

11-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #17840
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm impressed...
Wow! That looks fantastic!

---------- Post added 11-19-19 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Found on eBay: Reverse-painted-panel tall mirror being deacquisitioned from a Bucks County, PA museum collection. The mirror was a wedding gift to my wife’s great-great-great-great grandmother Hannah Simpson Hough; including full provenance and a brass plate with name and (correct) wedding date 8/24/1791. She was also Ulysses S(impson) Grant’s great-great aunt. I was searching on Grant and this came up. What are the odds?

Make Offer accepted. Merry Christmas early.
Quite the story!
11-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #17841
Veteran Member

I'm impressed...
The DA 12-24mm was far and away the most used lens in my arsenal before I got full frame. It was close to 50 percent of my shots at one time. I still use it for architectural shots because the distortion and vignetting is easier to correct than the full frame 17-35mm that I have.
11-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #17842
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I thought I had seen someone show their cubes here lately, but I couldn't find who it was..
I finally found that it was @iheiramo in the M Club!

11-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #17843
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah - we’re just stunned.

About thirty years ago a guy from Wooster, MA called out of the blue to offer her her father’s .22 caliber rifle she thought had been lost in his youth - but it had been borrowed by his cousin, who was returning it after all those years. He tracked her down through her high school. That was long odds, this is crazy.
I'm stunned, too!

Did Mrs. Monochrome know you found this mirror, or did you surprise her with it?

The mirror looks to be in wonderful condition, and over two centuries old...
11-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #17844
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Found on eBay: Reverse-painted-panel tall mirror being deacquisitioned from a Bucks County, PA museum collection. The mirror was a wedding gift to my wife’s great-great-great-great grandmother Hannah Simpson Hough; including full provenance and a brass plate with name and (correct) wedding date 8/24/1791. She was also Ulysses S(impson) Grant’s great-great aunt. I was searching on Grant and this came up. What are the odds?

Make Offer accepted. Merry Christmas early.
Cool find!

And I'm heartened to see that you did not join the mirrorless bandwagon!

Some would insist that you should replace that "dinosaur" with a TV screen that constantly sucks power, flickers annoyingly, but has to be the future.

P.S. Do you know what that the painted scene might be? Your wife's ancestral abode, perhaps?

Last edited by photoptimist; 11-19-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo
11-19-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #17845
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Coincidentally, I received my used 12-24 on Saturday. I've only tested it for possible damage issues, but I too am impressed so far. I noticed a tendency to starburst points of light, even at wider apertures like ƒ4.0. I'm looking forward to using it more.

I've ordered a lens case from EBay that I think will fit the odd size well. I'll post how it actually fits when I get it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Wow! That looks fantastic!
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
The DA 12-24mm was far and away the most used lens in my arsenal before I got full frame. It was close to 50 percent of my shots at one time. I still use it for architectural shots because the distortion and vignetting is easier to correct than the full frame 17-35mm that I have.
A couple years ago I had the opportunity to shoot another brand's UWA that was of considerably newer design than the DA 12-24, and the DA turns out to be more flare-resistant and also sharper in the extreme corners.
11-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #17846
Pentaxian

kodak motormatic 35F.....gonna hafta read up on this thing.....may only be a display piece.....the pressure plate is detached, severe battery corrison…..doubtful this will see a roll

does have a nice field case
11-19-2019, 07:56 PM - 2 Likes   #17847
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm stunned, too!

Did Mrs. Monochrome know you found this mirror, or did you surprise her with it?

The mirror looks to be in wonderful condition, and over two centuries old...
I showed mrs monochrome the Listing (isn’t Hannah Hough your great-something Grandmother?). She gave me the Make Offer price, which I did. Once it was accepted we Messaged the seller back and forth together. Pretty neat conversation.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Cool find!

And I'm heartened to see that you did not join the mirrorless bandwagon!

Some would insist that you should replace that "dinosaur" with a TV screen that constantly sucks power, flickers annoyingly, but has to be the future.

P.S. Do you know what that the painted scene might be? Your wife's ancestral abode, perhaps?
It depicts a Whaler’s abode on the seashore, but not anything from her family history she doesn’t think.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-19-2019 at 08:14 PM.
11-20-2019, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #17848
Veteran Member

An Inateck 60W USB-C charger. I use it to charge my powerbank, which takes 45W. Works very well so far, it's pretty compact so I can travel with it and it doesn't even get very warm... I have 10W chargers that get hotter than this.

A Patriot 256 GB SSD for my NAS... booting from an USB stick was just too infuriating.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e. That OLED screen is just gorgeous, the thing is fast enough and does what it should... be a smaller TV screen when I don't need to plasma, used for YouTube, some web surfing, minor productivity tasks...
11-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #17849
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Flickr informed me I have acquired another year of pro. No discounts this time.
11-20-2019, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #17850
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the older version of the Flektogon I have - you're going to love, love, love that lens.....
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
It's a very capable MF lens and well worth a long evaluation ... at the end, you will come to the conclusion as to whether or not it's right for your uses ... bon courage, J
So, as it happens, there's a couple of issues. Some definite detritus within the lens (not much of an issue for me, I've got some slightly dusty lenses which work fine) and, a little more concerning, what appears to be fungus growth around the edges of the rear element. Again, not a huge issue currently but has the definite potential of developing...