Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #18031
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Here is the 110 system as received. Everything works. No issues The only thing missing is the rubber cap for the flash connection. In the spring it will get a workout with Lomography 110 Film. PS - All photos of the 110 system were taken with my Pentax Q7 and 01 Normal lens
It all looks very mint, any more mint it would be put into a tube of icecream lol

12-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #18032
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it might have arrived yesterday, but I didn't get to check my PO Box until today. Purchased from one of our lovely forum members here. Put one of my spare Wasabi batteries in the grip to test it out and everything works perfectly. Also have the AA battery tray as well. Also had the original box and manual which was a nice touch and wasn't expecting. It's in excellent condition.

Now I just need to get a body cap for the K-7 so I can take the lens off and fit it in the bag I'm currently using. While I do need to get a bit better of a bag, I can't really complain about it. I'm borrowing it from work. It was originally for one of the old camcorders and has been sitting unused on a shelf in my office since before I started working there 12 years ago. (I had my choice of about 4 or 5 bags of 2 or 3 different types.) Fits the K-7 with the 35-80 kit lens and the M 50/1.7 in a separate padded area. Probably will try keeping the M50 on the body and store the zoom separate and see if it can fit like that.

Shot in RAW+ and was resized on the camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #18033
Pentaxian

Picked up a pair of Westcott Solix LED light kit, softbox and light stand on discount.

(I know, LED continuous lighting. But my brain works better with continuous and WYSIWYG.)

Also a couple of pocket knives to replace older smaller ones I've started having issues with due to small size and loss of dexterity.

Last edited by Pentikonian; 12-05-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: missing words
12-05-2019, 07:01 AM   #18034
Pentaxian

Yesterday afternoon I ordered a Canon 300V I found at a good price. I've wanted one for a while as something a little better than the 300 I already have, which is a very good camera for the price. Will hopefully get it next week.

12-05-2019, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #18035
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My latest acquisition that I have actually received was an American Girl doll (Kirsten who was discontinued quite a few years ago but my wife has wanted for practically ever) that arrived yesterday. A day early, because ya know, my wife is off on Wednesdays and having it not arrive a day later when it was suppose to so she'd be at work and not see it or anything is just great... Luckily, the box it came in didn't give anything away, though I got a little flack for evading answering what was in the box since we are expecting quite a few things for the kids that we've ordered online. She was wondering what we got that would be marked fragile. I'll have to open it when I get home today and verify everything is in as good condition (as best that I can tell anyway as it's not really my forte) as advertised and appeared in the pictures.

And my latest "should be here tomorrow" acquisition is a new exhaust manifold for my 2013 Chevy Equinox. The nice thing is that after taking it to a local guy to try and get a better price but being turned down because it's more work than he wanted to do, we took it to the local dealer and found out the exhaust system has a 10 year/100K mile warranty on it, so it's being fixed for free under warranty. (Good thing I'm only at about 80K. It's amazing how many miles are on it considering how little my parents used it before selling it to me. But I've borrowed it for a NY trip once as well as a few short trips to Pittsburgh and my brother and his wife would borrow it when they would come back to the USA during breaks.)
12-05-2019, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #18036
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Acquisition and deacquisition!

ACQUISITION:
My wife and I purchased a "like new," apparently unused Kitchen-Aid Professional 600 575 watt 6 quart mixer from Goodwill for the unbelievable price of $65. We did not plug it in and test it because the manager told us it was brand new.

DE-ACQUISITION:
When we plugged in the mixer at home, it did not power on at all, so we took it back the next morning for a full refund.

THE REST OF THE STORY: My wife likes the model and wants to buy a new one for $450. I just nod and suggest we think about it and read some reviews first.
12-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #18037
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Further to my previous post, my "Cyber Monday" HD FA35 f/2 arrived from Amazon UK yesterday. I only just got around to opening the package, checking it over and testing it, about an hour ago.

I knew the lens came with a hood, but was pleasantly surprised that a carrying bag is also included. Build quality is good and quite solid - it feels exactly like you'd expect; an FA35/2 with slightly different texture. The focusing ring feels nicer to me than my FA50/1.4 and an FA35/2 - smoother and better damped; but that could simply be due to this being a new lens. Certainly, the textured rubber focusing ring is much nicer in use. With AF, it was already quite accurate at zero fine adjustment on my K-3, but -2 seems to be spot-on... or maybe -1; I'm still testing to decide which. Optically, I pretty much knew what to expect, both good and not-so-good. The not-so-good includes busy-ish bokeh transitions when shot wide open, and fringing on high contrast edges at wide apertures. It's not likely to be an issue in most use cases, and is nothing that a good raw processor can't deal with. Contrast is better than I'd expected, even wide open.

Overall, it's a really nice lens - clearly an older design, and probably wouldn't satisfy those who want D FA*50/1.4-level performance across the frame at all apertures... but I think it'll work very well for me. I haven't had an opportunity to use it properly yet, but initial testing suggests it's a good copy. So... I'm very happy
Happy is a very good thing! Might you know if the new hood fits the old-style FA 35/2.0?

Steve

12-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #18038
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Happy is a very good thing! Might you know if the new hood fits the old-style FA 35/2.0?
I don't know for sure, Steve - but I reckon it should. Frankly, I don't think there are any significant external differences between the original and HD FA35 lenses. It all looks identical, save for the different finish, printing, distance scale colour, knobbly focusing ring and green trim ring.

I used some images from the web, appropriately cropped and scaled using the body width at widest point as a reference. The bayonet fitting at the end of the barrel is the same width, and it looks exactly the same in terms of flange and notch placement. Even the alignment marking for fitting the hood is in exactly the same place. Here's what I came up with... Hope it helps
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-05-2019 at 11:18 AM.
12-05-2019, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #18039
Veteran Member

Here is the 110 system as received. Everything works. No issues The only thing missing is the rubber cap for the flash connection. In the spring it will get a workout with Lomography 110 Film. PS - All photos of the 110 system were taken with my Pentax Q7 and 01 Normal lens
That is quite the clean set up! I am not looking to shoot film but that set could tempt anyone with an interest in film to jump at it.
12-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #18040
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here's what I came up with... Hope it helps
Thanks! My original hood is getting a little worn and replacement PH-RBA49 (~$80 USD) are hard to find and significantly more expensive than $24.95 USD for the PH-RBG49.

Steve
12-05-2019, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #18041
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One hit, three strike outs and a lost in transit. I’m done buying from fleabay.

I am officially done with buying anything from eBay or from camera shops on the web for a while. My last five purchases have been one hit, the Auto 110 kit, three total strike-outs Including today’s delivery and one outfit touring the countryside on a misadventure via FedEx Ground.

Today’s acquisition is a Program Plus, SMCA 70-210 F4, SMCA 50/1.7 SMCM 28/2.8 and SMCM 135/3.5. All in “ Good used condition” A term of which I have become seriously skeptical. Anyhow, the whole shebang was packed into a women’s size 10, single wall cardboard shoe box wrapped in brown tape. It looked like a kilo brick of illicit narcotics. (It DID come from Miami). No cushioning in the ends of the box at all. The top had some foam, the bottom a bit of foam and between the lenses and camera were two wads of paper and four lose divided from a $5 camera bag! Of course, this time of year the package received some rough handling and, because of the lack of space between the sides and lenses, two were damaged. Absolutely the fault of the eBay seller for not using a better packaging solution. On top of that, all for lenses have fungus. The 28 and 50 have very little, though the 28 has a slow iris. The 135 is polluted on the inside face of the last element group. The zoom is a science project. Speaking of the zoom, it took the brunt of rough handling and is now jammed at 150mm. Somehow the camera, which had no padding behind it, arrived unscathed and is clean and functional, needing only new mirror bumper foam. I’m waiting to hear from the seller since it was a no returns auction. I guess I should hold off on playing the lottery for a while too.
12-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #18042
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
ACQUISITION:
My wife and I purchased a "like new," apparently unused Kitchen-Aid Professional 600 575 watt 6 quart mixer from Goodwill for the unbelievable price of $65. We did not plug it in and test it because the manager told us it was brand new.

DE-ACQUISITION:
When we plugged in the mixer at home, it did not power on at all, so we took it back the next morning for a full refund.

THE REST OF THE STORY: My wife likes the model and wants to buy a new one for $450. I just nod and suggest we think about it and read some reviews first.
depends upon what your wife is going to be mixing - if it's bread dough, like my wife, and on a regular basis... she's burned through three Kitchen-Aid Pro's in the last 10 years or so and is about to kill her latest one....

we've been looking at an Ankarsrum (600 watts and a 7 year warranty) or a Bosch (800 watts and a 3 year warranty)....
12-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #18043
Pentaxian

Two Enna München Ennalyt lenses, made of flimsy plastic. The 35 has fungus inside (unmentioned) and the front element is reversed. The 135 is extremely soft wide open. They came with a good looking and working spotmatic. The Germans should be ashamed about these lenses.
12-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #18044
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I am officially done with buying anything from eBay or from camera shops on the web for a while. My last five purchases have been one hit, the Auto 110 kit, three total strike-outs Including today’s delivery and one outfit touring the countryside on a misadventure via FedEx Ground.

Today’s acquisition is a Program Plus, SMCA 70-210 F4, SMCA 50/1.7 SMCM 28/2.8 and SMCM 135/3.5. All in “ Good used condition” A term of which I have become seriously skeptical. Anyhow, the whole shebang was packed into a women’s size 10, single wall cardboard shoe box wrapped in brown tape. It looked like a kilo brick of illicit narcotics. (It DID come from Miami). No cushioning in the ends of the box at all. The top had some foam, the bottom a bit of foam and between the lenses and camera were two wads of paper and four lose divided from a $5 camera bag! Of course, this time of year the package received some rough handling and, because of the lack of space between the sides and lenses, two were damaged. Absolutely the fault of the eBay seller for not using a better packaging solution. On top of that, all for lenses have fungus. The 28 and 50 have very little, though the 28 has a slow iris. The 135 is polluted on the inside face of the last element group. The zoom is a science project. Speaking of the zoom, it took the brunt of rough handling and is now jammed at 150mm. Somehow the camera, which had no padding behind it, arrived unscathed and is clean and functional, needing only new mirror bumper foam. I’m waiting to hear from the seller since it was a no returns auction. I guess I should hold off on playing the lottery for a while too.
Sorry to hear that

With eBay, I look for good, detailed photos of equipment and a good, full description of condition in the auction listing. Anything less is, at best, laziness; or, at worst, subterfuge. I often contact the seller if the photos or description don't provide enough information and politely request more detail. Some sellers will, some won't... and I base my level of confidence and buying decision on that, amongst other aspects including the original listing content and seller's feedback. Just occasionally, I'll take a punt on a poorly documented listing if it's an item I'm really interested in and think I can get it for a very attractive price, but I do so with the assumption there's a very good chance I'll be burned. Even with perfect auction listings, I set my expectations low to avoid disappointment, and assume I may well have to return the item or just suck it up and chalk it down to experience. I always assume things won't be as good as described, and that photos will show items in their best light. I know it sounds like a pessimistic approach - and it is - but these days I'm rarely disappointed and take bad auction experiences in my stride.

It's also worth bearing in mind that things can go wrong even with big, established and reputable online retailers. I buy a fair amount of stuff through Amazon UK and selected Amazon marketplace sellers, and whilst they're generally good, things occasionally arrive that have previously been opened, damaged in transit, sometimes the wrong item etc. Again, I always assume the worst and never allow myself to become enthusiastic about an incoming item.

I'm probably telling you what you already know, so apologies if that's the case. But I figured it was worth mentioning. Years ago, I went through the same frustrations you're going through now, and my current approach was born from that

Regarding the auction you described - even if it's a "no returns" auction, if the items aren't as specifically described (e.g. buyer said "no fungus" and there is fungus), you can return them for refund whether the seller likes it or not. Start a return, and if the seller is uncooperative or fails to accept the return, ask eBay to step in and they will almost certainly side with you and refund.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-05-2019 at 04:04 PM.
12-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #18045
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that

With eBay, I look for good, detailed photos of equipment and a good, full description of condition in the auction listing. Anything less is, at best, laziness; or, at worst, subterfuge. I often contact the seller if the photos or description don't provide enough information and politely request more detail. Some sellers will, some won't... and I base my level of confidence and buying decision on that, amongst other aspects including the original listing content and seller's feedback. Just occasionally, I'll take a punt on a poorly documented listing if it's an item I'm really interested in and think I can get it for a very attractive price, but I do so with the assumption there's a very good chance I'll be burned. Even with perfect auction listings, I set my expectations low to avoid disappointment, and assume I may well have to return the item or just suck it up and chalk it down to experience. I always assume things won't be as good as described, and that photos will show items in their best light. I know it sounds like a pessimistic approach - and it is - but these days I'm rarely disappointed and take bad auction experiences in my stride.

It's also worth bearing in mind that things can go wrong even with big, established and reputable online retailers. I buy a fair amount of stuff through Amazon UK and selected Amazon marketplace sellers, and whilst they're generally good, things occasionally arrive that have previously been opened, damaged in transit, sometimes the wrong item etc. Again, I always assume the worst and never allow myself to become enthusiastic about an incoming item.

I'm probably telling you what you already know, so apologies if that's the case. But I figured it was worth mentioning. Years ago, I went through the same frustrations you're going through now, and my current approach was born from that

Regarding the auction you described - even if it's a "no returns" auction, if the items aren't as specifically described (e.g. buyer said "no fungus" and there is fungus), you can return them for refund whether the seller likes it or not. Start a return, and if the seller is uncooperative or fails to accept the return, ask eBay to step in and they will almost certainly side with you and refund.
BigMacCam, I am usually very wary of poor photos on auction sites. All three sellers in my strike outs have over 200 positive transactions. The latest puzzles me because many positive feedback posts aside her items were much better than expected, better than the photos and items were very well packed and shipped fast. Huh. Maybe she had someone else pack my box? I’m more upset about how badly packaged everything was than the fungus. All the lenses had dirty rear elements and filthy filters which were stuck in place. So, to the casual observer, the lenses were just dirty, which is what she replied when I asked about them. At least the three primes are of some use, even if they have issues. I’ll probably kit them with a *1st DL I got for free and leave it in my car. Better than a cellphone for most uses. The 70-210, well it is junk. Cams are jammed from the impacts in shipping and it is riddled with fungus on every air gapped element group. A real bummer for me, I pack the stuff I sell to withstand just about any rough treatment in shipping. I’m ultra conservative with my descriptions, post good photos and ship fast- yet only one in five buyers ever bothers to leave me any feedback.