Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2019, 05:16 PM - 4 Likes   #18106
Pentaxian

I picked up a Tamron Adaptall 2 28mm lens in really good condition and I have a couple of PKA Adaptall mounts so it was ready to work. I took it straight to the local Volkswagen show to give it a test. The shots seem overexposed by about one stop, but that is easy to fix in MS photo editor, samples here have been adjusted to fix that. I will experiment further, but that is a reasonably common issue with the Adaptall PKA mounts anyway, so I will try another mount.

Now I have an auto aperture 28mm lens for when I need one, but when I have time on my side I will use the Pentax-M 28mm/f3.5.

---------- Post added 12-09-19 at 05:17 PM ----------

I picked up a Tamron Adaptall 2 28mm lens in really good condition and I have a couple of PKA Adaptall mounts so it was ready to work. I took it straight to the local Volkswagen show to give it a test. The shots seem overexposed by about one stop, but that is easy to fix in MS photo editor, samples here have been adjusted to fix that. I will experiment further, but that is a reasonably common issue with the Adaptall PKA mounts anyway, so I will try another mount.

Now I have an auto aperture 28mm lens for when I need one, but when I have time on my side I will use the Pentax-M 28mm/f3.5.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-10-2019, 04:32 AM - 2 Likes   #18107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought a nice set of genuine Pentax extension tubes with mechanical aperture control. It was $20. Not long before that, I had been on a brink of buying some no-name set, without aperture control, so I'm glad I waited a bit and have the original one.
12-10-2019, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #18108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My silver KP body arrived yesterday. Of course I didn't really "need" it but at less than $900 after 20% off it was, now what is it that my wife says............ "too good a deal to miss". The silver looks better in real life than in pictures, especially when attached to the silver DA 35mm Ltd I bought a few months ago. And it is such an amazing camera!!

I'd love to get out this weekend to give it a test run but it's going to be so stinking hot that I don't think it's going to happen.
12-10-2019, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #18109
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
My silver KP body arrived yesterday. . . . I'd love to get out this weekend to give it a test run but it's going to be so stinking hot that I don't think it's going to happen.
my KP ( black ) is due on Friday

" if the creek don't rise "

unfortunately the high on Sat is 36 o F ( 2.2 o C )

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-10-2019 at 03:58 PM.
12-10-2019, 05:37 PM - 6 Likes   #18110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I made myself a joiner's mallet and put a new handle on a cobbler's hammer. The mallet head is made of osage orange, which is quite hard and dense. The handle is ash which should be shock resistant. Possibly too big - I made it to the "traditional" size. I don't know why the cobbler's hammer is shaped that way but I like the large domed face. I had an antique with a thin handle and didn't want to ruin it, so I bought just the head on eBay for $5.

12-10-2019, 08:21 PM - 3 Likes   #18111
Veteran Member

Problem is they're too pretty to hit stuff with.
12-10-2019, 08:25 PM   #18112
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Problem is they're too pretty to hit stuff with.
Time to head to Germany & start training to become worthy than

12-11-2019, 07:55 AM - 6 Likes   #18113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Charity eBay Auction SCORE!

I'd been having some really bad luck with used equipment from eBay over the past few weeks. I put in a buy-it-now offer on a Pentax Spotmatic lot being sold by a California Habitat for Humanity project. The lot contained a Spotmatic w/ leather case, Super Takumar (7 element) 50/1.4 w/ caps, Super Takumar 200/4w/ caps, hood and case, Vivitar 28/2.5 w/cap and case, Vivitar 2X teleconverter w/caps, case, tripod, filters, Pentax SLR book from 1967, 3 flash cubes and some miscellaneous stuff. Including tax and shipping I have $137 invested.

All I can say is WOW! The Spotmatic is easily 90 percent of new condition and works just like it should. The Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 is the cleanest one I have ever seen. It was yellowed to a medium amber, but still took fabulous photos. I dosed it with a 10 watt UV lamp for about ten hours and now it is clear as the day it left Japan. The Super-Takumar 200/f4 is also very clean with minimal internal dust. I've already taken multiple keepers with it. The Vivitar 2X converter and 28/2.5 are basically as new. Unfortunately, the 28/2.5 lives down to its poor ratings in the Third Part Lens Tests Forum. She looks and feels great but performs like something Holga would have made. Maybe a Lomography fan would like it! Anyhow, here are photos of the charity score.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
12-11-2019, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #18114
Pentaxian

A pair of Nike Epic React 2 running shoes in black and dark(ish) blue, having found out the hard way that my old running shoes now blister the fronts of my toes. In short, they turned up (after a 30% off sale items brought them down to around £62 posted, from £130 RRP) and were so comfortable that I've scoured the internet for a 'non-running' pair. £55 for black with a white sole, brand new unwanted gift etc. Should be with me around the end of the week! Bargain!
12-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #18115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I made myself a joiner's mallet and put a new handle on a cobbler's hammer. The mallet head is made of osage orange, which is quite hard and dense. The handle is ash which should be shock resistant. Possibly too big - I made it to the "traditional" size. I don't know why the cobbler's hammer is shaped that way but I like the large domed face. I had an antique with a thin handle and didn't want to ruin it, so I bought just the head on eBay for $5.

Nice work!!
12-11-2019, 11:42 AM - 2 Likes   #18116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I'd been having some really bad luck with used equipment from eBay over the past few weeks. I put in a buy-it-now offer on a Pentax Spotmatic lot being sold by a California Habitat for Humanity project. The lot contained a Spotmatic w/ leather case, Super Takumar (7 element) 50/1.4 w/ caps, Super Takumar 200/4w/ caps, hood and case, Vivitar 28/2.5 w/cap and case, Vivitar 2X teleconverter w/caps, case, tripod, filters, Pentax SLR book from 1967, 3 flash cubes and some miscellaneous stuff. Including tax and shipping I have $137 invested.

All I can say is WOW! The Spotmatic is easily 90 percent of new condition and works just like it should. The Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 is the cleanest one I have ever seen. It was yellowed to a medium amber, but still took fabulous photos. I dosed it with a 10 watt UV lamp for about ten hours and now it is clear as the day it left Japan. The Super-Takumar 200/f4 is also very clean with minimal internal dust. I've already taken multiple keepers with it. The Vivitar 2X converter and 28/2.5 are basically as new. Unfortunately, the 28/2.5 lives down to its poor ratings in the Third Part Lens Tests Forum. She looks and feels great but performs like something Holga would have made. Maybe a Lomography fan would like it! Anyhow, here are photos of the charity score.
Nice find. Congrats on getting out of your eBay funk. For now, at least.
12-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #18117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I made myself a joiner's mallet and put a new handle on a cobbler's hammer.
These are two really beautiful tools! Especially, the joiner's mallet looks great. Is there some oil finish on it?
12-11-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #18118
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My latest find turned out to be a dud. Tamron SP adaptall 2 28-135mm (28A). Zoom stops at 50mm going no wider and focus ring has lost a sense of when to stop turning. When I opened the package a screw dropped on the floor. That must have been a sign.

Seller pic:

Oh and the aperture is also stuck at f22 or so. The aperture ring doesn't click and when I was trying the actuator a piece of metal dropped out of the lens....

Last edited by D1N0; 12-11-2019 at 03:13 PM.
12-11-2019, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #18119
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Latest purchase that arrived today is a battery for an HP ProBook 450 G3. Cost $20 with 2-day Prime shipping for a grand total of $20 put into this laptop with it's 256GB m.2 drive, 8GB of RAM, and standard battery. (We had acquired 3 of these laptops and an older model at work for free from another school district. The older model was pretty beat up and the 3rd of this model had no display. So I cannibalized the laptops to beef up the one laptop that I claimed for myself with 16GB of RAM, backlit keyboard, 256GB m.2 drive, and a 512GB 7200RPM hard drive. Had to buy a battery and got the extended capacity battery for it. I was going to get work to buy the battery for this laptop and use it for work, but giving it to my wife works out better.) It's nothing too fancy, but with 512GB of RAM dedicated to the Intel graphics, it can do some light-to-medium gaming without much trouble. At some point, I might look at picking up a hard drive caddy for it to expand the storage, but it's fine for now.

My wife wanted a laptop to take to her parents over New Year's as the one I managed to get for her before just isn't holding up with everything she needed it to do. (It was a laptop a co-worker had let his daughter use when it died, couldn't get it working at first and he bought a new laptop for his kid. Came back to look at it again before sending it off to be recycled and got it working with a new hard drive, so really can't complain as it was free and actually has dual hard drives. Popped a SSD in one bay to replace a failed drive and kept the 500GB drive in the other for her music collection so she can use it for DJing online when not at home.) So, while this one doesn't have the storage capacity, we can take both laptops and she can use the older one to DJ a New Year's party while using the new one to play her games online. Not bad for only $20.
12-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #18120
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
The Vivitar 2X converter and 28/2.5 are basically as new. Unfortunately, the 28/2.5 lives down to its poor ratings in the Third Part Lens Tests Forum. She looks and feels great but performs like something Holga would have made.
I have a similar Kino-made Viv 28/2.5, though two years newer (1974 vs. 1972) and with a rubberized grip and 67mm filter thread.* It don't remember how I got it and for the longest time, I have believed it to be a poor performer based on who knows what test shots I might have done.** A few months ago I was doing some comparative infinity focus testing and found that the results from my lens were not as bad as I first thought. At some point, I will have to revisit it with some more rigorous testing to see how well it performs if evaluated with rigor.

Steve

* Vivitar 28mm Bestiary designation "M13"

** It lives on a Spotmatic body that is designated for permanent decorative display on the fireplace mantle.