Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2020, 09:28 PM - 3 Likes   #18421
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Irix 11mm f/4.0 I snagged on a killer sale from Adorama came today. It is, however, been raining pretty much non-stop, so no pictures worth posting, but as much as I can tell, it appears well centered, and it is very nicely made. I had always figured I'd spring for a Blackstone version to get the metal body, but having handled this, I'm not feeling the need, and might as well save some money and weight (8% lighter). For those interested in the different versions of these lenses, the internal construction and optics are the same, but the outer housing is a plastic on the Firefly and magnesium alloy on the Blackstone. I'm actually looking at the Firefly in hand, and liking the nub on the focus ring, which the Blackstone doesn't have, and also thinking the soft case with padded end is more usable to protect the lens going into a larger bag with other gear, versus a hard case that's stand alone. So interesting change of view I wasn't quite expecting, having always thought I'd go for the "high end" version instead. Couple quick snapshots of it on my K-1 II taken with my QS-1.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
01-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #18422
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to a very kind member here on the forums, I've just received a Tokina EL 28mm f/2.8 lens. Seems most of the reviews of the various Tokina 28mm lenses are for versions with a 49mm filter while this one has a 52mm filter. Focus ring is very smooth and the A setting will make this very easy to use. No trouble with the Ricoh pin, even with leaving the aperture in A mode.

The only downside is, I just bought a small backpack for my camera and lenses and I'm just about out of room...
01-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #18423

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
this is all I know

Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video

if I was you, I would contact B H
I bought mine in the Netherlands (where I live), so no B&H, but I will look up if there is a local alternative.
01-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #18424
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by -JW- Quote
I bought mine in the Netherlands (where I live), so no B&H, but I will look up if there is a local alternative.
doesn't your existing EU warranty extend to 5 years

that is in excess of the 1 year standard warranty in the US

and the add on warranty of 3 years available in the US

01-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #18425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’ll join you and raise you a self-imposed de-acquisition goal of all the stuff that was fun to buy but never gets used.
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I will TRY to emulate your excellent suggestion.
Ditto. Do I really need five 2.5+ Kg telephoto lenses?
01-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #18426
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I just ordered a motherboard, 32GB RAM, a 2TB M.2 PCI SSD, mini tower case, and AMD Ryzen 2700 CPU to build up a new PC for myself. (I already have some parts too)
The CPU was on sale for $150 and I've been wanting a new system for a while so the deal put me over the edge. The new CPU while not the latest lets me build a AM4 socket system that in the future I can put a 3rd gen Ryzen into when they get cheap. In the mean time it will still be a big improvement over my i7-3770 based system that is about 8 years old and it will use less power too.
What motherboard Matt?
01-04-2020, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #18427
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Ditto. Do I really need five 2.5+ Kg telephoto lenses?
I need a philosophy of why I own gear and a process to choose which gear fits that philosophy. Collecting is a legitimate part of philosophy, but using has to be a/the core element. If nothing makes a particular lens collectible then the best performing or most collectible lens should be kept and the others sold. Then one outright best performing lens beyond the collectibles is OK. No looking back!

For instance: I don’t need 40 normals. The 8-element SuperTak 50/1.4 is enough for m42. If I have the K variant of a FL, why do I need the Talkumar variant at all? If I have the A50/1.2, why do I need the 1.4? If I have the K55/1.8, why do I need the M50/1.7?. Add the CZ Ultron 1,8 50mm as the most collectible normal; the DA*50/1.4 and the FA43/1.9 lowest serial. Dispose of all the others.

For example: Why do I need every successive Asahi m37 and m42 body? Keep the AP and SV. Dispose of all other m37 and m42 cameras

For example: Why do I need DA lenses at all?

For example: If I have the DFA*70200/2.8, why do I neeed the FA*200/2.8 (or the converse)?

Last edited by monochrome; 01-04-2020 at 09:38 AM.
01-04-2020, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #18428
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Propane acquisition

I just took delivery of 235.6 gallons of propane home heating fuel for a total invoice of $479.84 including tax. Here is a series of shots taken during the delivery . . . love those pink trucks!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-04-2020, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #18429
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I just took delivery of 235.6 gallons of propane home heating fuel for a total invoice of $479.84 including tax. Here is a series of shots taken during the delivery . . . love those pink trucks!
That's a "warming" purchase.
01-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #18430
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A small surprise with the emphasis on small - another Cash Converters find on my way somewhere else, a Panasonic Lumix G Vario 1:35-5.6 14-42mm for my micro 4/3 camera, reduced from £49.99 to £39.99 - and suddenly I'm beginning to see the point of Micro 4/3, it's about two thirds the length and two thirds the diameter of the Olympus (non-micro) 4/3 format 14-42mm lens I've been using, and weighs 95g less, and that's without needing an adapter adding even more bulk and weight to fit it on the camera. Very nice and working well.

And waiting on a Praktica LTL with Pentacon 50/2 I bought on line from them - £11.50 including P&P. Hoping to find more good stuff while their sale lasts.

I could have picked up a Tamron Adaptall 38-100 f3.5 in Portobello Road today, but the seller wanted £55 and the condition was too poor, and I couldn't tell if there was fungus, it was too dirty. Not sure if it was the ordinary or macro version, I think either is pretty rare - but I'm not risking £55 on it!
01-04-2020, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #18431
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an H3v with the round top dial accessory meter, S Tak 55/1.8, S Tak 105/2.8 and a rather interesting third lens coming sometime next week. The third lens? Enna Munchen Lithagon 24mm f4. I can’t find much information on the 24mm, it seems to be the least common of the Enna Munchen M42 Mount lenses. It’s an older one with the “zebra” pattern metal rings. The eBay photos are so low resolution that posting any here would be useless.
01-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #18432
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish propane here in Florida was just $2/gallon. I typically buy between 120 and 160 gallons at a time and it's been years since it was that price or less.

I made a major misjudgment when deciding to lease my tank rather than buy, locking me into AmeriGas purchases. Thought it would cost less. Instead it's cheaper to buy if you don't commit to a vendor which on the surface seems wrong. Buying a tank at this point wouldn't make financial sense either as it would be at least a decade to realize an overall savings since I use perhaps 250 gallons in an entire year. So it is what it is.
01-04-2020, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #18433
Pentaxian

My latest "acquisition" seems to be "someone" who has hacked and hijacked my ISP's (virginmedia.com!) Primary a/c that I use to manage quite a number of Secondary a/c's - now waiting to see IF AND WHEN virginmedia's IT guys can sort it. ATM I can't even access that Primary a/c

In the meantime, that's costing me mucho time, stress and "agro" in changing lots of other website a/c's to use non-virginmedia addresses!. Done the major "financially sensitive" ones so far (took most of today!) but looks like many more to go (including SWMBO's accounts which for which she uses a virginmedia email address)
01-04-2020, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #18434
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
When I built my house 12 years ago I bought and installed a 500 gallon underground propane tank. We have a Jenn-Air cooktop on the island in the kitchen, and a freestanding fireplace. I decided to have them operate on propane, since we experience a large number of power outages, sometimes lasting a week or two, so we can keep the house warm, cook, and heat water to bathe with.

Since we don't use the fireplace as a primary heat source, the tank only requires filling every two to three years. Owning the tank I shop around for the best price. The last fill, last November I think, cost me about $2 a gallon.
01-04-2020, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #18435
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When I built my house 12 years ago I bought and installed a 500 gallon underground propane tank. We have a Jenn-Air cooktop on the island in the kitchen, and a freestanding fireplace. I decided to have them operate on propane, since we experience a large number of power outages, sometimes lasting a week or two, so we can keep the house warm, cook, and heat water to bathe with.

Since we don't use the fireplace as a primary heat source, the tank only requires filling every two to three years. Owning the tank I shop around for the best price. The last fill, last November I think, cost me about $2 a gallon.
Interesting. Our cost is $1.8990 per gallon. Our central heating system operates on propane, so we generally get three fills per year, around $1,400-1,500/year, not really too bad in our winter climate. The system is actually a combination heat pump and propane furnace system, so our actual heating bill is a bit higher, maybe $2,000/year including electricity.