Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #18481
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Here is the DA*150-450 I picked up from the Amazon warehouse link that was posted here in Price watch. I had seen it but then after watching the price came down another 60 dollars so I bought it. Note the lack of any mark on the body, (which was in the description.) Image of the objective is with my sister holding it.

I can see why the previous owner returned it. It's all blurry!

01-08-2020, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #18482
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
So I got myself a new GR II (since it cost half of the GR III). Not having a GR at all is quite unthinkable
I know what you mean, they are handy little cameras. I got my first GR ll, new...in Feb./19. Chose the GR ll for the same reason you did.
01-09-2020, 01:29 AM   #18483
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
Does this count? There's some Ektar 120 hiding under the Tri-X
Are you stocking up on Kodak before prices go up?
01-09-2020, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #18484
Pentaxian

Few things yesterday:
White Pentax Nylon shoulder bag which came in at a staggering £3.99 delivered from CameraCentreUK.
Set of 8 precision tweezers to help with changing light seals on a couple of old cameras.
A Pentax ME Super - listed as 'Spares/Repairs' but no stuck mirror, no apparent winder or shutter issues, light seals are still relatively intact even if it does look a little scuffed/scraped in places. Notable corrosion on the battery cap so that might've stopped any power coming through. No worries, will give a quick scrape and buff and should be in serviceable condition thereafter!
The other day:
A couple of MX light seals sets. One from France another from Jon Goodman which arrived astoundingly quickly and is definitely a cut above in terms of quality (both of materials and instructions)! We've had a good natter about Wales and our respective heritages. A true gentleman to deal with... and I should be getting an ME Super seals kit through shortly too!
Hopefully today:
The aforementioned ME Super light seals kit.
LR44 batteries.

01-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #18485
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Are you stocking up on Kodak before prices go up?
That's exactly what I'm doing

Although, i was offered a couple holiday coupons with purchase, which also helped me make the purchase (BOGO develop and scan, and a $15 off voucher)
01-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #18486
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
So far I have, just a poor time of the year for wildlife here in Maine. That and work interfering with my photo time of course!
I'm thinking even the seals are hiding.
01-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #18487
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm thinking even the seals are hiding.
Haven't been to the shore much and we don't have a lot of seals here. At least nothing like Monterey, California where you hear the seals and sea lions all day and night as they try to sink people's boats!

01-10-2020, 02:51 PM - 4 Likes   #18488
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just found an Amazon Warehouse offer for a used/like new 100mm f/2.8 WR D FA Macro. The listing said that the packaging was damaged, but it was otherwise like new. For $177(!). That seems almost too good to be true, but we'll see. Should be here Tuesday. The cheapest I've ever seen a good used copy was here on the marketplace for $230 or $240, and they regularly go for over $300.
01-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #18489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I just found an Amazon Warehouse offer for a used/like new 100mm f/2.8 WR D FA Macro. The listing said that the packaging was damaged, but it was otherwise like new. For $177(!). That seems almost too good to be true, but we'll see. Should be here Tuesday. The cheapest I've ever seen a good used copy was here on the marketplace for $230 or $240, and they regularly go for over $300.
I bought one on the marketplace here for $230 and thought I'd got a great deal last week ! Good bargain spotting !

01-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #18490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian.morgan Quote
I bought one on the marketplace here for $230 and thought I'd got a great deal last week ! Good bargain spotting !
You beat me to that! I was a bit disappointed because I thought I'd never see one within $50 of that price again.
01-10-2020, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #18491
Pentaxian

Found a AF360FGZ on ebay $50 including shipping "open box " condition. It was advertised a AF360FGZII but from the pictures I could see it was the older model. I figured for $50, I would take a chance. When the item arrived, it seemed in very good condition, no box or case or manual... No big deal.
I put new batteries in and it would not power up. @#$%*. When I examined the battery compartment I saw residue from a leaky battery. Well I cleaned it up and like magic, it fired right up. So despite the wrong model number and the not so "open box" condition, I finished up with a nice flashgun for a bargain price.
I wrote to the seller and told him what I found, but I doubt I'll ever hear back from him.
01-10-2020, 10:35 PM - 2 Likes   #18492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't been able to afford much for the past two and a half years, but just after Christmas I bought an A50 f1.4 from a member here and it arrived earlier this week. Testing it has been a challenge, but I've noticed that a) it is capable of absolutely gorgeous bokeh and b) is it ever hard to nail focus at f1.4. For what I want to do (basically experiment and play around with it) I would be using manual focus anyway and I find AF on the DA 50 f1.8 extremely frustrating wide open, so no regrets about not waiting until I could afford a DA * 55. I'm posting a picture of the lens cap taken by the lens it fits, shot handheld in my office, wide open, looking through the viewfinder, using the old technique of turn it in one direction past focus, then back in the other direction past focus and stop in the middle.

01-11-2020, 05:23 AM   #18493
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I now have one of these in my collection.

From a quick bit of research, it goes onto a projector lens to project wide screen movies. I have tried it on the front of my Samsung 20-50mm but it doesn't work.

It seems like I will need a projection lens with some sort of camera adapter to take pictures with it. If that is possible...
01-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #18494
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I now have one of these in my collection.

From a quick bit of research, it goes onto a projector lens to project wide screen movies. I have tried it on the front of my Samsung 20-50mm but it doesn't work.

It seems like I will need a projection lens with some sort of camera adapter to take pictures with it. If that is possible...
Cool find!

It's possible that you have more than just the "anamorphic adaptor" part of the projector lens assembly.

One test to try with this lens(or any old lens) is to:
1) stand some yards/meters from a brightly lit window
2) point the lens at the window
3) try holding a thin piece of paper at various distances behind the lens (as it it were a bit of film or sensor)

If you can get a focused image of the window on the paper, you've probably got the whole projector lens.

You can also use this method to estimate the
1) register distance (it's the roughly distance of the lens from the paper),
2) lens image circle (walk toward the window, refocus on the outdoors, and measure the size of the image circle)
3) the lens focal length: FL = (Distance_to_Window)*(Width_of_Window_Image)/(Width_of_Actual_Window)

(Note that an anamorphic lens has TWO focal lengths: vertical and horizontal)
01-11-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #18495
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
If it is similar to the DA*150-450 I got there you will be extremely happy. That is an amazing deal on the D-FA 100!

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 01-14-2020 at 10:41 AM.