Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2020, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #18541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Cokin 58mm (I think) adapter and a couple of filters. Not sure what the clear one is about just yet so I'll do some digging. The 'blue' one could perhaps be an ND? Not sure, outside my knowledge-set!
What does it say on the grey top of the little box? You will find it here:

CREATIVE range

Regarding the purpose blue filter there are two obvious answers. The first one is to get the color balance right when using tungsten light with daylight film. This would be an 80A or 80B. Or it could be one used with black and white film.

How Color Filters Affect B&W Photos

It could also be something else. The Cokin range was vast, even then.

01-16-2020, 01:23 AM   #18542
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The Cokin filters mostly look like NDs but maybe the blue-ish one is to correct tungsten lighting for daylight film.
I haven't seen another Weston meter for a long time, they were the bee's knees once and my father had one, but after he died mother gave it away to a friend (one who probably did not understand what it was for) Then I got another among a lot similar to yours, but one day it suddenly stopped working, not that I dropped it or anything.
You're absolutely right. One is a 'diffuser' filter and the other is a blue filter for tungsten lighting! Spot on stuff.
I'll be sure to give it a go - there's mention that apparently the selenium cell in them can go, which can be replaced, but I don't know enough about it to divulge more information!

Also, noticed you're from S. Wales too! East or West (or somewhere inbetween)?

---------- Post added 01-16-20 at 01:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
What does it say on the grey top of the little box? You will find it here:

CREATIVE range

Regarding the purpose blue filter there are two obvious answers. The first one is to get the color balance right when using tungsten light with daylight film. This would be an 80A or 80B. Or it could be one used with black and white film.

How Color Filters Affect B&W Photos

It could also be something else. The Cokin range was vast, even then.
I managed to spend a little time researching after I hastily posted and found that it's a diffuser and Tungsten (80B as you rightly said). I'm not so sure when I would get around to using it just yet but it's all in quite good condition to be fair.

Thanks for the input.
01-16-2020, 12:48 PM - 7 Likes   #18543
Pentaxian

Just collected my prize from the central post office locally.Excuse the harshly lit iPhone picture I’ll take some more in natural light in due course.

By comparison to the KP older cameras are definitely prettier!

Awaiting delivery of film and an adapter to play within the lens on my KP.

Thanks again Adam.

01-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #18544
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Went to go look on eBay for an older, but still half-decent and also rather inexpensive, bridge camera that I had seen to suggest to a friend who wants to use something better than her phone to take pictures of her kids since her P&S cameras are all really cheap and she lets the kids play with them. And while I was there, I ended up picking up a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 lens to match my Pentax-M f/1.7. I'd really like a faster 50mm, but they tend to go for more than I'm willing to drop right now. (Came close on a FA 50 f/1.4.) But I saw this one and dropped a make-an-offer and it was accepted, so it cost about $25 after taxes and shipping. I really like my Pentax-M version, and if this one is just as good, I'll be very happy as I can then use the camera to adjust aperture which I find a little easier than using the aperture ring. Also came with a UV filter.

We'll have to see just how good of condition it is in when it gets here next week. Might have a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 looking for a new home for the cost of shipping as that's all I paid for it. (We have some of the awesomest people on this forum.) Or I might hold onto it for my oldest that might be getting a Pentax DSLR as a birthday present in a few months...

01-16-2020, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #18545
Loyal Site Supporter

So I got the replacement DFA50 in just now on FedX....

The box was physically damaged, a torn section pulled away along one edge, and damp cardboard on one entire side. On arrival I could see the Pentax box inside thru the torn section :/

B&H should really consider more substantial boxes for high dollar gear. This one is flimsy and thin, as are most of their boxes. Very easily punctured.
Fortunately Pentax packs this lens so well with a substantial frame of double-layer cardboard surrounding it and the lens itself in a softcase that I believe it's probably just fine. I'll know when I get home and slap it on a camera but not too worried about it.

Come on B&H, you can afford a few more pennies for better boxes...
but you're still my favorite camera shop.
01-16-2020, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #18546
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
So I got the replacement DFA50 in just now on FedX....

The box was physically damaged, a torn section pulled away along one edge, and damp cardboard on one entire side. On arrival I could see the Pentax box inside thru the torn section :/

B&H should really consider more substantial boxes for high dollar gear. This one is flimsy and thin, as are most of their boxes. Very easily punctured.
Fortunately Pentax packs this lens so well with a substantial frame of double-layer cardboard surrounding it and the lens itself in a softcase that I believe it's probably just fine. I'll know when I get home and slap it on a camera but not too worried about it.

Come on B&H, you can afford a few more pennies for better boxes...
but you're still my favorite camera shop.
Poor lens packing drives me nuts! The Sigma 17-70 I just ordered from Amazon did not have any packing material in the larger box it was shipped in! Luckily, the Sigma packing was good enough, as the lens is not decentered. I've hit a point with Amazon that I'll only order a lens from them if their price is way less than anyone else, and that was the case with this one. Hopefully, you'll be fine.

Last edited by clickclick; 01-16-2020 at 01:13 PM.
01-16-2020, 01:25 PM   #18547
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Poor lens packing drives me nuts! The Sigma 17-70 I just ordered from Amazon did not have any packing material in the larger box it was shipped in! Luckily, the Sigma packing was good enough, as the lens is not decentered. I've hit a point with Amazon that I'll only order a lens from them if their price is way less than anyone else, and that was the case with this one.

I've had 2 lenses sent to me that were merely packed in a bubble mailer envelope... Granted these were private sales of used lenses at auction, but if I'd known they were going to mail them like that instead of carefully packed in a package, I'd have passed on both of them. The one thankfully was wrapped again inside another envelope with more bubble wrap and somehow managed to arrive safely, the other arrived broken. I think having them delivered to my PO Box might have helped save the one, though apparently not enough to save the other. Was rather upset as I had wanted something wider than my 35-80mm and this one was a 28-70mm with macro.

(Thankfully, a member here sent me a 28mm prime which was super appreciated. I had a good bit of fun using it over the weekend. It will probably get a lot of use, but it seems I still need to go wider yet... )

01-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #18548
Veteran Member

Poor lens packing drives me nuts! The Sigma 17-70 I just ordered from Amazon did not have any packing material in the larger box it was shipped in! Luckily, the Sigma packing was good enough, as the lens is not decentered. I've hit a point with Amazon that I'll only order a lens from them if their price is way less than anyone else, and that was the case with this one. Hopefully, you'll be fine.
I ordered an item from, well lets just say a prominent dealer who advertises on here and leave it at that. The item arrived in a box larger than the item, accompanied by a single small sheet of bubble wrap that didn't even cover the bottom of the box never mind the item being shipped!

I registered a complaint on their website and heard nothing back, it's a good job the item itself was robust.
01-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #18549
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I ordered an item from, well lets just say a prominent dealer who advertises on here and leave it at that. The item arrived in a box larger than the item, accompanied by a single small sheet of bubble wrap that didn't even cover the bottom of the box never mind the item being shipped!I registered a complaint on their website and heard nothing back, it's a good job the item itself was robust.
I've really wondered how many "bad" copies of lenses stem from poor shipping. It would seem my experiences with poor packing are not unique. I think I know the vendor you speak of from similar experiences, and I too have complained to a customer service rep. The response was something along the lines of "automatic packaging" or some such nonsense. Really amazes me that this seems acceptable to the vendors.
01-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #18550
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I've had 2 lenses sent to me that were merely packed in a bubble mailer envelope... Granted these were private sales of used lenses at auction, but if I'd known they were going to mail them like that instead of carefully packed in a package, I'd have passed on both of them.
Yikes! Would never ever think putting a lens in a padded envelop would be sufficient. Unbelievable.
01-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #18551
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes! Would never ever think putting a lens in a padded envelop would be sufficient. Unbelievable.
A while back I bought a new 08 Wide Angle Zoom for my Q from Amazon for $259 and it was just thrown in a big padded envelope. I left negative feedback for the seller regarding shipping. Last week I won a mis-listed KX on eBay for just $30 plus $15 shipping. The seller must have been angry that I won with the minimum bid. The camera and lens were in a soft leather everready type case, which is good. The seller threw it in a medium size Priority Mail box with NOTHING to cushion it at all. Unbelievably, even after rattling around in that much bigger than needed box the camera was undamaged. I contacted the seller and told them exactly why I would not be leaving them any feedback.
01-16-2020, 03:27 PM   #18552
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I contacted the seller and told them exactly why I would not be leaving them any feedback.
How is this different from leaving negative feedback?

Steve
01-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #18553
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How is this different from leaving negative feedback?

Steve
No feedback has no effect on their seller rating at all. You aren’t “dinged” for buyers who leave nothing, which is most eBay buyers these days. Had the camera or lens been damaged, I’d have contacted the seller to demand corrective action on the purchase before contacting eBay. In this case, and one other recently, I contacted the seller to express my concerns over their lack of care in packaging and tell them most buyers aren’t as fair minded as I am. No harm, no foul. I only leave negative feedback on eBay as a last resort.
01-16-2020, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #18554
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Just collected my prize from the central post office locally.Excuse the harshly lit iPhone picture I’ll take some more in natural light in due course.

Awaiting delivery of film and an adapter to play within the lens on my KP.

Thanks again Adam.
Congrats on your prize and what a nice prize it is ! That strap on your new Spotmatic looks like the original one that came with the camera. Very similar to my original strap on my '74 Pentax ES ll.
01-17-2020, 02:44 AM   #18555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
And a lot more fun to use! - Although I concede that the digital stuff is far more convenient, gives much more versatility and is easier for Macro, Flash, Sports and action and low light