Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2020, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #18571
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some Foma B&W film ... I really like Fomapan 100 film with Caffenol recipes, so I bought some Fomapan 200 & 400 to test them. The plan is is to push/pull the different speeds to see the latitude of each speed ... afterwards I will probably buy a bulk roll of my favorite speed.

01-18-2020, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #18572
Pentaxian

Way behind again on all my thrift store finds, but here's the latest. A very nice 5€ slide projector which I bought only for the lens. It's an Angénieux 100/2.8 which I will soon shoot with my Russian macro rig ... if interested, see here for some ideas with projector lenses.

The "Projector Lens" Club ... - PentaxForums.com

01-18-2020, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #18573
Pentaxian

A release which allows me to acquire something new.
More to come, probably Tuesday.
Exciting.
01-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #18574
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Just picked up my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7. Not too happy with the packaging as it came in a box barely the height of the lens (no caps included which I knew in advance but expected better packaging) which was wrapped in a single piece of bubble wrap with a couple pieces of paper from one of those coupon spam mail papers that come in the mail to fill the rest of the box.

But the lens appears to be in decent order. The aperture ring was a bit stiff and didn't move very smoothly from 1.7 to 11 where it would stop. But after working it back and forth a bit, I got it to move past 11 all the way to A where I'll leave it. The focus ring is smooth though, so that's good. I'll have to try it out a bit, but it will probably replace my Pentax-M 50 f/1.7. Think I'll still stay on the lookout for a f/1.2, but I probably won't see one that I can afford for a long while.

01-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #18575
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
An eBay auction win for $144 total including shipping and tax. Asahi Pentax K with Auto-Takumar 35mm f/2.3 lens. The camera has shutter issues and needs a trip to Eric the Pentax Doctor.
You got a great deal. Consider the camera a freebie. The lens by itself is worth a lot more than what you paid!
01-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #18576
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
An eBay auction win for $144 total including shipping and tax. Asahi Pentax K with Auto-Takumar 35mm f/2.3 lens. The camera has shutter issues and needs a trip to Eric the Pentax Doctor.
That's very nice. Two items that I would like to experience one of these days. Enjoy.
01-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #18577
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
Just picked up my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7. Not too happy with the packaging as it came in a box barely the height of the lens (no caps included which I knew in advance but expected better packaging) which was wrapped in a single piece of bubble wrap with a couple pieces of paper from one of those coupon spam mail papers that come in the mail to fill the rest of the box.

But the lens appears to be in decent order. The aperture ring was a bit stiff and didn't move very smoothly from 1.7 to 11 where it would stop. But after working it back and forth a bit, I got it to move past 11 all the way to A where I'll leave it. The focus ring is smooth though, so that's good. I'll have to try it out a bit, but it will probably replace my Pentax-M 50 f/1.7. Think I'll still stay on the lookout for a f/1.2, but I probably won't see one that I can afford for a long while.
It’s a well documented issue the aperture ring. Apparently not a difficult fix either.

01-18-2020, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #18578
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
It’s a well documented issue the aperture ring. Apparently not a difficult fix either.
A broken plastic weld holding the bearing. Once in auto it's redundant.
01-18-2020, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #18579
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
A broken plastic weld holding the bearing. Once in auto it's redundant.
Interesting. Maybe one day I'll look into maybe fixing it just to get it in perfect order. But as mentioned, since I have it in auto, it's not too big a deal as the camera can control it.
01-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #18580
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
Interesting. Maybe one day I'll look into maybe fixing it just to get it in perfect order. But as mentioned, since I have it in auto, it's not too big a deal as the camera can control it.
I kept mine in the 'A' position until the day I sold it, never had a problem with the aperture ring being difficult...
01-18-2020, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #18581
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I kept mine in the 'A' position until the day I sold it, never had a problem with the aperture ring being difficult...
Now that mine is in the 'A' position, it's certainly not being difficult. Just had a little trouble getting it there. At first I thought I might have gotten burned on a broken lens and thought I was going to have to be disappointed and do another return. But I was hopeful that working it back and forth might free it up. Thankfully, it did. The focus ring was still stiff to turn, but now that I got it all the way to A, I really don't see any need to do anything else to it. I might take a look at it in the future, but I doubt I will. If I do sell it later, I'll probably just note about the aperture ring and just leave it in A.
01-19-2020, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #18582
Pentaxian

Another thrift store find for 5€. A nice and working Canon Super 8 with a film cartridge. I need to see if any or how much unused film is left. Also, in the bottom of the sack were assorted 36mm filters which are nice to have, too.

01-19-2020, 05:54 AM   #18583
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
You got a great deal. Consider the camera a freebie. The lens by itself is worth a lot more than what you paid!
I’m hoping the camera’s shutter is repairable without costing too much. Sending it off to Eric along with an MX and a H3. The H3 is mint, which is why it doesn’t want to function. I wish people would exercise their gear.
01-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #18584
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Another thrift store find for 5€. A nice and working Canon Super 8 with a film cartridge. I need to see if any or how much unused film is left. Also, in the bottom of the sack were assorted 36mm filters which are nice to have, too.
Now that is a cool piece of history.

It also puts modern technology into perspective. Things have come a long way. Back in the day, you only had a limited amount of film, so you had to make your it count. When done, the film had to be developed. This took a few days AFAIK, no instant review. And if you wanted to edit, that was done with scissors and sticky tape!

These days you can do it all on a device that fits in your pocket. And you can make phone calls with the device.
01-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #18585
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Now that is a cool piece of history.

It also puts modern technology into perspective. Things have come a long way. Back in the day, you only had a limited amount of film, so you had to make your it count. When done, the film had to be developed. This took a few days AFAIK, no instant review. And if you wanted to edit, that was done with scissors and sticky tape!

These days you can do it all on a device that fits in your pocket. And you can make phone calls with the device.
I agree, Wasp, technology has come forward in leaps and bounds. Sometimes I wonder where it will end, if ever.