Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #18616
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Learn More About FLEXVOLT® 6.0, 9.0, & 12.0 Ah Batteries | DEWALT

They are all groups of cells anyway. So why not have three larger groups, and when the battery connects to the tool, the connection is switched from groups in series to groups in parallel? Lithium ion batteries already require attendant circuits for proper charging and less fire. Seems easy to me.

01-23-2020, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #18617
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Seven(!!) Assorted Pentax cameras in “As-is” condition.
Check the box and horrible packing job! I hate eBay sellers who don’t give two cents if items they ship get damaged just because I won the auction cheap. NO cushioning whatsoever.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
01-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #18618
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, that looks pretty lame.
01-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #18619
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yeah, that looks pretty lame.
Just as lame as the KX I won about two weeks ago. Shipper just put it in its soft case and threw it in a medium flat rate box with a couple old Walmart shipping air bags, which deflated in transit. Today’s shipper just wrapped a piece of used packing tissue or an old ziplock around each of the seven cameras and shoved them in the box. One was damaged in transit. Other than the terrible packing, I think I did OK with this lot. Three cameras just need a little TLC, two would need professional service due to slow shutters, two are partially torn apart, good for harvesting some parts.

Last edited by steamloco76; 01-23-2020 at 05:48 PM.
01-23-2020, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #18620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got a video card for my new Ryzen 2700 build, a MSI Radeon RX580 8GB.
Because of the switch I use to drive two monitors from two different computer setups, I needed dual display ports. My old video card only had one and my son needed a new video card so I decided to get a new one with dual display ports and give him my nVidia GTX 1050ti which should be enough for his needs.
It seems pretty nice and fast. I guess these particular ones used to be popular for BitCoin miners but has now been surpassed by something else and what used to be a $700 card a couple of year back was $169 (AR).
01-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #18621
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

They are all groups of cells anyway. So why not have three larger groups, and when the battery connects to the tool, the connection is switched from groups in series to groups in parallel? Lithium ion batteries already require attendant circuits for proper charging and less fire. Seems easy to me.
As best I can determine, the Dewalt's "flexvolt" batteries have a switch of some kind such that when a 60v battery is attached to a 20v tool, the battery delivers 20v not 60v, but the battery is very large* and has 12amp-hr of power, which will indeed run the tool for a long time. It is not sending 60v into a tool designed for 20v.

*According to the Dewalt website, this new 20v/60v 12ah battery is smaller than the 9ah battery that it supersedes.
01-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #18622
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Seven(!!) Assorted Pentax cameras in “As-is” condition.
nice haul !! the packaging is disappointing......but damn nice haul !

01-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #18623
Pentaxian

Yashica TL.......a bit dirty but got the shutter running at all speeds.....the battery cap is corroded in place another battle that I may win we shall see...but will clean up purdy good and will be useable.......only 1 left in the TL series to get the Electro-X ITS.......

Platinum PT-DFLEXT1N flash.....it's for Nikon but have a couple others (for canon & Nikon) and they work great on cactus v6 & v6ii triggers just fine....nice to score a HSS capable flash for 20 bucks delivered.....saves on wear n tear on my af360 & 540 units
01-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #18624
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
As best I can determine, the Dewalt's "flexvolt" batteries have a switch of some kind such that when a 60v battery is attached to a 20v tool, the battery delivers 20v not 60v, but the battery is very large* and has 12amp-hr of power, which will indeed run the tool for a long time. It is not sending 60v into a tool designed for 20v.
But you can just slap the 60V battery in the 20V drill and go, what I said. Same connectors and everything. The consumer does not need to know anything expect they get the expected results.
01-23-2020, 09:32 PM - 2 Likes   #18625
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
a bit of both, plus a third option - on first blush, the SMC A 20/2.8 is superior to the Tokina 17mm, enough so that I am considering the sale of the Tokina.... and I do prefer the convenience and quality of the A series lenses...

the third: I was considering one of the three (to begin with) - SMC A 20/2.8, Voigtlander Color Skopar 20/3.5, or a CZJ MC Flektogon 20/2.8 - this price for the SMC A 20 was just too sweet to pass up and probably saved me an additional $350 over the other two lens under consideration...

speaking of the SMC A 20/2.8 - here is it next to the Tokina 17/3.5

01-24-2020, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #18626
Pentaxian

speaking of the SMC A 20/2.8 - here is it next to the Tokina 17/3.5

It's often said that in order to give an idea of size of an item, it is always good to photograph a commonly known object alongside the item in question, to clarify the size of the item.

In this case, using an object of known size such as a cookie and/or cookies next to the less known object of interest such as the lenses. From this it is very easy to estimate the size of the object of interest...the object of interest being the lenses...although for me the object(s) of interest were the cookies.

Boy those cookies look good !! I'm off to get a cookie...or two. My favourites are Oreos.

I find whenever you utilize cookies to provide the viewer an idea of the size of the object of interest...I find I get very hungry.

Les
01-24-2020, 12:37 AM - 2 Likes   #18627
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I find whenever you utilize cookies to provide the viewer an idea of the size of the object of interest...I find I get very hungry.

Les
Cookies also provide google with an idea of the size AND objects of your interest. By coincidence, it too, is hungry.

My 1930's AVO light meter arrived with the needle sheared-off in transit! £1.25 wasted... that could have bought me FIVE cookies! Big ones! With giant chocolate chips!

---------- Post added 2020-01-24 at 00:50 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

While it'd work from a voltage perspective, the current delivery for the series cells would be proportionally smaller for higher voltages - on the flip side, the total capacity would suffer for the parallel cells. As motors are current-driven devices, it might be problematic at higher voltages where the current would fall off, resulting in reduced power. The circuitry would also have to handle current sharing to avoid damaging the cells as well to avoid uneven discharge and overdraining some of the cells (in LiPo batteries that becomes dangerous) - extra cost and complexity.

Another problem is that the cells are likely already in a parallel configuration of series cells - so creating extra combinations would require extra volume (and weight). Any switching circuitry is an extra point of failure too.

The greatest single argument against that idea is "I can make more money selling two batteries with simplified construction than I can with one battery and complex construction". It's doable from a technical perspective, but whether it'd be worth all the engineering challenges for the sake of convenience is completely overshadowed by whether or not it favours the company producing the battery itself. It probably wouldn't... but a multi-voltage mains adapter might!

Market forces trump engineering every time... It sucks.
01-24-2020, 08:02 AM - 3 Likes   #18628
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It's often said that in order to give an idea of size of an item, it is always good to photograph a commonly known object alongside the item in question, to clarify the size of the item.

In this case, using an object of known size such as a cookie and/or cookies next to the less known object of interest such as the lenses. From this it is very easy to estimate the size of the object of interest...the object of interest being the lenses...although for me the object(s) of interest were the cookies.

Boy those cookies look good !! I'm off to get a cookie...or two. My favourites are Oreos.

Les

thank you - and you're welcome

(:

technical point - those are not 'cookies', but Standard Measuring Units (SMU)

you can replace SMU's with the unit of your choice, but you must also provide an equivalency between your units and the SMU, so we can gauge the size of the lens being measured....
01-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #18629
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm half tempted to use these new Oreos we got as a reference in some lens pictures. Not sure what they are called, I haven't tried one yet, but they look like they took the filling from 2 megastuffed cookies and put them together. Would probably only need 4 cookies in that last picture, possibly 3...

We need some sort of a metric cookie scale for converting between cookies...
01-24-2020, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #18630
Pentaxian

you can replace SMU's with the unit of your choice, but you must also provide an equivalency between your units and the SMU, so we can gauge the size of the lens being measured....
I thought there were some rules/parameters that all SMUs must follow - one being containing chocolate/sweets?

I once used a plum as an SMU and got an earful!