Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2020, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #18661
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Edit:
Here's a Kodachrome 64 shot taken with it.
I was tempted to ask exactly how long you've been taking photos, but decided against it....

Nice image though

01-25-2020, 06:04 PM - 2 Likes   #18662
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
including such topics as alternative types of SMU, what exactly would be allowable for an alternate SMU, biscuit vs. cookie etc.
I have used Ritz crackers...

Steve
01-25-2020, 06:14 PM   #18663
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

didn't know those were chocolate

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
since the rules are fluid and probably arbitrary, and also entirely dependent upon what you have in your cookie jar... the preferred SMU is a sweet, hopefully chocolate, edible of reasonable thinness, but also a widely-available unit, so that many (but not all) photographers would have the option to use the SMU...
01-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #18664
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the true story behind the SMU

I, of course, had no part in any such discussion
So, you didn't make any comments upon if they would be called wafers, cookies, or biscuits? Nor get sidetracked on the ways different things get pronounced?

01-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #18665
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Moi ??

why would you think that
01-25-2020, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #18666
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
So, you didn't make any comments upon if they would be called wafers, cookies, or biscuits? Nor get sidetracked on the ways different things get pronounced?
Ii believe that certain parts of the world call almost anything we in the US would consider a cookie, a "biscuit." I think anything labeled cookie has higher taxes or something, so therefore, these cocoa biscuits are from away, while my SMUs are properly labeled as cookies!
01-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #18667
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Ii believe that certain parts of the world call almost anything we in the US would consider a cookie, a "biscuit." I think anything labeled cookie has higher taxes or something, so therefore, these cocoa biscuits are from away, while my SMUs are properly labeled as cookies!
according to one source
QuoteQuote:
Cookie or biscuit? Turns out, there's an actual difference
And the difference extends well past which part of the world you're from! - by James Banham
Cookie or biscuit? Turns out, there's an actual difference | Better Homes and Gardens

but the source of that tale is from Australia ( or is that NASA ) so what credit do you give it?

01-26-2020, 12:25 AM - 4 Likes   #18668
Pentaxian

A similar reason lead to the creation of the ‘Jaffa Cake’. Chocolate biscuits are taxable whereas chocolate covered cakes are (or at least were) not. As they’re practically biscuit sized and shaped McVities had to prove that it wasn’t a biscuit. They did so by comparing stale biscuits to stale cakes - biscuits would go soft, cakes (including the Jaffa Cake) would go hard.

In other news I’m a fiend for Jaffa cakes...
01-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #18669
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
A similar reason lead to the creation of the ‘Jaffa Cake’. Chocolate biscuits are taxable whereas chocolate covered cakes are (or at least were) not. As they’re practically biscuit sized and shaped McVities had to prove that it wasn’t a biscuit. They did so by comparing stale biscuits to stale cakes - biscuits would go soft, cakes (including the Jaffa Cake) would go hard.

In other news I’m a fiend for Jaffa cakes...
What is a Jaffa cake and can it be used as an alternate SMU? Inquiring minds want to know!
01-26-2020, 07:39 AM - 3 Likes   #18670
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What is a Jaffa cake and can it be used as an alternate SMU? Inquiring minds want to know!
They are a small lozenge of sponge cake + orange jam + chocolate:

They are a bit thicker than official SMUs (similar diameter, though) but the central jam blob makes them less stable in tall stacks.
01-26-2020, 08:04 AM - 2 Likes   #18671
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I give my dog biscuits.

01-26-2020, 09:12 AM - 3 Likes   #18672
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I give my dog biscuits.

I accept cookies on my computer

01-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #18673
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another very good car boot day, the most annoying part was that I got everything at a sale I nearly didn't go to - the two I had planned to go to had nothing interesting at all, but fortunately I got out of the house a little earlier than usual and made an extra stop:

AF Nikkor 28-80 3.3-5.6G - working well but there's a skylight filter stuck on and resisting attempts to remove it - £8
Nikon F65 35mm body with 28-100 3.5-5.6G - £15
Canon Eos 5 35mm body with EF 35-135 4-5.6 ultrasonic for £25

The lenses are all working well and in very good condition, not sure about the cameras yet, I need to find appropriate batteries etc. and test them.

Later - found a battery for the Canon and it's working well. And the filter came off the 28-80 eventually - managed to do it without damaging the filter, which is always useful.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 01-26-2020 at 12:56 PM.
01-26-2020, 06:48 PM - 4 Likes   #18674
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Auto Chinon MCM 55mm f1.7 Macro

01-27-2020, 01:25 AM   #18675
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello,

I think I have found a Sigma 8-16 in Pentax mount for about $300. Is it worth it?

Thank you to let me know.

Kind regards.

J.