Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2020, 03:59 AM   #18736
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have one of these bad boys. I love it, but manual focus through the viewfinder can be hit and miss tricky. Live view with magnification is your friend.
Thank you for the tip!

01-31-2020, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #18737
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Portobello Road produced some interesting items today:

A Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 - slight ding on the filter ring, and unfortunately a few small scratches on the rear element, I paid £25 and will probably make a profit, but not a huge one.
A Lomography fisheye camera for a fiver - they usually sell around £10 or so on eBay so it's a fairly safe bet.
A couple of lens hoods for £2
And a Pentax 110 SLR with 24mm lens for £15 - body doesn't work but the lens is good. Probably more than it's worth, but it's from a charity shop and I support the charity anyway. I already have a 50mm lens and a micro 4/3 adapter I made for myself, and what I'll probably do is list it all together on eBay at around £30, see what happens.
01-31-2020, 10:20 AM   #18738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Was rummaging through an old Lens Bin at my local Camera shop and stumbled across a Chinon 30-80mm lens marked P/K....It looked like a Pentax mount and when placed on any of my camera bodies slots properly at the red dot, but does not turn to lock. I held it on the camera and it takes great pictures, but does anyone know whether I need a adapter for this lens as it is manual and has a taller thread where the insert tab is and ir won't turn.

I thought almost all old P/K glass retrofits. Obviously that is wrong, but if anyone has any idea, I would appreciate it as having a mid-tele on my K-1 would really help my kit (did I mention it was only $10 with a Hoya UV filter?)
01-31-2020, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #18739
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I thought almost all old P/K glass retrofits. Obviously that is wrong, but if anyone has any idea, I would appreciate it as having a mid-tele on my K-1 would really help my kit (did I mention it was only $10 with a Hoya UV filter?)
It may be that your Chinon zoom has an overly-large actuator lever guard. Those lenses fit cameras of the day, but interfere with mirror box hardware on KAF2 bodies. The solution is to trim or remove the guard.

Steve

01-31-2020, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #18740
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It may be that your Chinon zoom has an overly-large actuator lever guard. Those lenses fit cameras of the day, but interfere with mirror box hardware on KAF2 bodies. The solution is to trim or remove the guard.

Steve
Steve:

Thank you so much for that. yes, just past the bayonet on the clasp is a 'longer' plastic wedge. I'll try and trim it. It was an amazing buy...no haze, clean glass and no discernible damage to the body. For $10.00 if I can make it work I'll control the aperture and manual focus on the lens, letting the K-1 do its magic on shutter priority...
01-31-2020, 04:08 PM - 4 Likes   #18741
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The scrap guy that we give all of our old computers and such to gave us a call today that he picked up an interactive whiteboard today, so we went down to take a look around his warehouse. He picked up several skids of stuff from a couple of colleges and an old radio station or something. The amateur radio operator in me really wanted to dig around in the radio skids, but I also didn't want to bother with the hassle of the really old stuff that was in there as it was all commercial stuff. Probably could convert some of it for amateur use, but a lot of it I knew I'd have no use for at this point and I'm a bit limited on space for stuff. (I also passed on a tiny Fender practice amp that I spotted on another skid. It was smaller than either of the two guitar amps I already have.) Then I noticed this old radio sitting on top of a skid as I was looking around. I walked over to take a closer look at it as it looked interesting.

When I got up to it, I saw it was a longwave, 3-band shortwave, AM and FM radio. I picked it up and went and asked my boss's friend who owns the place what he was going to do with it. He was going to just add it to his vintage collection of random old stuff he's got on a shelf. He said I could have it if I was actually going to use it and not just tear it down.

Plugged it in when I got back to my office and tried out the FM band. It comes in fairly well. I was also surprised that the lights inside actually still work as well. It gets quite loud and also is fairly good sounding. It's been a while since I've played around with SW at all, so I'll have to look up where I'll be likely to find some stations, or just randomly scroll around and see if I can pick anything up at random. Actually has treble and bass controls which I found surprising. Even has a port for an external antenna and a tape recorder/phono jack, as well as an earphone jack, which I'm not sure if it's actually a 3.5mm headphone jack or something else. Going to have to look up a manual for this just to make sure I'm not missing anything and in case I need to do any repairs later.

One thing I'll do is clean up the battery contacts. They don't look too bad, but could use a wirebrush. Not sure if that Silvertone Battery that's listed is some proprietary battery or just 6 'C' or 'D' batteries in series. All in all, I'm quite pleased. Especially since, like most of the stuff we pick up from there, it was free.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
01-31-2020, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #18742
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
The scrap guy that we give all of our old computers and such to gave us a call today that he picked up an interactive whiteboard today, so we went down to take a look around his warehouse. He picked up several skids of stuff from a couple of colleges and an old radio station or something. The amateur radio operator in me really wanted to dig around in the radio skids, but I also didn't want to bother with the hassle of the really old stuff that was in there as it was all commercial stuff. Probably could convert some of it for amateur use, but a lot of it I knew I'd have no use for at this point and I'm a bit limited on space for stuff. (I also passed on a tiny Fender practice amp that I spotted on another skid. It was smaller than either of the two guitar amps I already have.) Then I noticed this old radio sitting on top of a skid as I was looking around. I walked over to take a closer look at it as it looked interesting.

When I got up to it, I saw it was a longwave, 3-band shortwave, AM and FM radio. I picked it up and went and asked my boss's friend who owns the place what he was going to do with it. He was going to just add it to his vintage collection of random old stuff he's got on a shelf. He said I could have it if I was actually going to use it and not just tear it down.

Plugged it in when I got back to my office and tried out the FM band. It comes in fairly well. I was also surprised that the lights inside actually still work as well. It gets quite loud and also is fairly good sounding. It's been a while since I've played around with SW at all, so I'll have to look up where I'll be likely to find some stations, or just randomly scroll around and see if I can pick anything up at random. Actually has treble and bass controls which I found surprising. Even has a port for an external antenna and a tape recorder/phono jack, as well as an earphone jack, which I'm not sure if it's actually a 3.5mm headphone jack or something else. Going to have to look up a manual for this just to make sure I'm not missing anything and in case I need to do any repairs later.

One thing I'll do is clean up the battery contacts. They don't look too bad, but could use a wirebrush. Not sure if that Silvertone Battery that's listed is some proprietary battery or just 6 'C' or 'D' batteries in series. All in all, I'm quite pleased. Especially since, like most of the stuff we pick up from there, it was free.
Nice haul!

01-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #18743
Pentaxian

I saw it was a longwave, 3-band shortwave, AM and FM radio.
neat!
01-31-2020, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #18744
Pentaxian

Yashica FX-3 super......has shutter issue that is gonna be a pain and of course the light meter works fine! the bonus is a clean c/y 135/2.8 which I do not have and can be used on 2 other c/y yashica mount boxes I have.....

the interesting part is a set 22 of various 58mm filters diffuser, sand, duto, rainbow, 4 & 8 cross, fd, 3 & 5 multi, close ups and I reckon standard color
02-01-2020, 01:45 AM - 2 Likes   #18745
Pentaxian

It's here...
Now I have a full range from 8mm to 300mm...

Last edited by Jome; 07-22-2020 at 08:38 AM.
02-01-2020, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #18746
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
It's here...
Now I have a full range from 8mm to 300mm...
Some years ago I replaced my Sigma 10~20mm with the 8~16mm. The latter is a BIG lens, but not the gadget-bag stretcher that an Irix 15mm or Pentax 15~30mm is.
02-01-2020, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #18747
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

My folks had one of those when I was growing up. I fiddled with it for hours on end, searching and tuning through the various frequencies.
02-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #18748
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Matt lives up at 2300+ meters and is surrounded by higher stuff than that. So my question was more about consumer drone performance in air that thin. I'd expect shortened battery life at least.
DJI rates the Mavic Mini to an effective altitude of 3000 masl, and the Mavic2 Enterprise to 6000 masl.
02-01-2020, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #18749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
My folks had one of those when I was growing up. I fiddled with it for hours on end, searching and tuning through the various frequencies.

I recently bought an Internet radio. It allows you to listen to radio stations from around the world without the "fun" of tuning difficulties.
One can do the same with an Internet connected computer, but a purpose-built device is easier to use and isn't computer dependent.

Chris
02-01-2020, 09:06 AM   #18750
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I recently bought an Internet radio. It allows you to listen to radio stations from around the world without the "fun" of tuning difficulties.
One can do the same with an Internet connected computer, but a purpose-built device is easier to use and isn't computer dependent.

Chris
I've thought about one of those, as I have dabbled in internet radio via my desktop.

One frustration of the internet radio though the desktop has been the searching through all the stations and finding those that I would wish to listen to frequently.

I did find one, Radio Paradise, which I like, and listen to occasionally. So having a dedicated device for one station doesn't quite make my list of current priorities. But I may still look into it.