Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #18826
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
Allen I have a Program A (the cut-down specification version of the Super Program). The ME Winder II works on this, so my dilemma is whether to sell the Program A with the winder, or with some black tape over the film advance sprocket - I see your photo shows yours without the sprocket cap. I kinda like to keep the winder to use with my ME Super (if I ever use it again????). I can sell the Program A with a Pentax A 35-70mm f4 lens, which is quite a smart package.
I believe there was not a cap on the film advance sprockets as manufactured. . My NOS/NIB SuperPROGRAM doesn’t have one.

02-09-2020, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #18827
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
He gave the dimensions as 3”x4”. I also miss the larger Medium Flat Rate.
Yeah...I know. I had to go up to the original damaged box reference to figure out that the shipped item was a lens.

Steve
02-09-2020, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #18828
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yeah...I know. I had to go up to the original damaged box reference to figure out that the shipped item was a lens.

Recently I asked an eBay seller for the inside dimensions of the drawers in a small parts cabinet.
He replied that they were 5-3/4" x 2-1/8".
When I asked for the third dimension he accused me of being a wise guy and banned me from bidding...

Chris
02-09-2020, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #18829
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Recently I asked an eBay seller for the inside dimensions of the drawers in a small parts cabinet.
He replied that they were 5-3/4" x 2-1/8".
When I asked for the third dimension he accused me of being a wise guy and banned me from bidding...

Chris
Maybe he lives here:

Flatland - Wikipedia

02-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #18830
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My latest acquisitions are a Pentax X-5 bridge camera as I found one for about $20 including shipping.
I picked up several front lens pinch covers for 49mm, 52mm, and 58mm lenses that will eventually get here from China.
And my big pickup was a Pentax DA 50-200. I got outbid on the DA 18-55. Which I'm thinking might be a good thing as I think a DA 18-55 WR would be a better option.
I'm debating on making a triple digit lens purchase and getting the DA 18-135 WR, but I'm not sure.
02-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #18831
Pentaxian

@Gorgarath
IMHO, providing you have something wider than 55mm and your body(ies) can handle the lens, forget the 18-135 and 55-200 and get a 55-300 PLM - covers most of the range, and does that a whole lot better!

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-09-2020 at 03:19 PM.
02-09-2020, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #18832
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I've been wanting a walkabout lens for my K-1 II. I have the 15-30 and 24-70, but they are beyond what I want to lug for something like going for a walk with the dog. The DFA 28-105 is more than I want to spend on a lens like this right now, so I started poking at reviews of older lenses and decided to have a go at this Tamron AF28-105 f/4-5.6 (IF) model 179DP in mint condition complete with box and papers and no signs of use. With shipping to my door was a whopping $47. I wasn't sure what I was going to get, as there seems to be a range of opinions. Don't know if I lucked on a good copy, or this model is a good flavor, but finding it hits the spot nicely. Also interestingly enough, the lens exif data says it's an SMC Pentax. Now I'm wondering if they are the same coatings as the Pentax labeled version?
I like the homemade SMU's.

Do they have walnuts in them?

02-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #18833
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
@Gorgarath
IMHO, providing you have something wider than 55mm and your body(ies) can handle the lens, forget the 18-135 and 55-200 and get a 55-300 PLM - covers most of the range, and does that a whole lot better!
I don't believe the K-7 can handle the PLM. I already purchased the 50-200, just haven't received it yet. I'm not sure how useful I'll find it, but I like the option of having it to try out at least. I'm more interested in the wider end of the range of either the 18-55 or 18-135 with the weather sealing for an everyday poor weather walkabout. I've mostly had either my A28mm or A50mm on the camera for the most part recently. I do have an 18-300 that covers the entire range of all of these lenses.
02-09-2020, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #18834
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I don't believe the K-7 can handle the PLM.
That is true...K-3 or K-50 at the oldest.

Steve
02-10-2020, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #18835
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I had the Fuji X bug. Started with an original new X100. Lovely camera, but the 23mm lens FOV just did not do it for me, so sold it on a few years ago. Then a couple of years later an Xpro1 in great nick became available for under £200, add another £200 for the 27mm f2.8 lens and I had the perfect, for me combination. Or so I thought, but the AF on the Xpro1 with that lens is slow and clunky, and the EVF not so great, so tried an XE2s (again for £200). Much better performance, but not so nice to have and hold. Sold on the Xpro1 at no financial loss. Still not satisfied though, so now have picked up a really great condition XT1 for £260. I think I have now found my ideal Fuji X model. It is barely larger than the XE2s, feels much better constructed and for my hands nicer to hold, and the EVF is BIG! I will probably keep the XE2s as a back up and/or to try out some of the cheap manual focus Chinese lenses. The Meike 50mm f1.7 and 7artisans 25mm f1.8 are already in my stable and produce very nice images, though they do take some getting used to due to handling quirks.
I recently did the firmware update/upgrade on my X-E2 ... it's now a completely different and better camera. It's my understanding that the changes were so much that a new(er) owner's manual was also issued with this v4 firmware which I have downloaded.

I now have new functions, such as better AF zones, face recognition, better (IMHO) EVF info, etc. ... gotta hand it to Fuji ... but on the downside, this really pushed back my "body upgrade" plans for an X-E3 ... now going to sit it out for another generation or so. Cheers, J
02-10-2020, 05:20 AM   #18836
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I don't believe the K-7 can handle the PLM. . . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is true...K-3 or K-50 at the oldest.

Steve
here is the information:

QuoteQuote:
*This lens uses an electric focus-by-wire system and will not focus (even manually) on cameras older than the Pentax K100D super (2006).

**Because the aperture is controlled electronically, this lens can only stop down when used with compatible cameras. The Pentax K-50, K-S1, K-S2, K-3, K-3 II, and K-1 are supported via a camera firmware update; the Pentax K-70, Pentax KP and all 2017 or newer bodies will work out of the box. The aperture diaphragm will always remain wide-open on unsupported bodies.

In an nutshell, this lens fully compatible with recent DSLRs but shouldn't be used on older bodies or film cameras.

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-10-2020 at 06:26 AM.
02-10-2020, 06:07 AM   #18837
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My brother complains about his mail delivery all the time. The last time I sent him a flat rate box, I built a box inside the USPS box out of 3/4" exterior plywood, nailed and glued with waterproof glue. Bubble wrap and paper, hah!
Bit of a problem for overseas mail in England.

Up to 2kg they charge sensible prices, about USD20 fro England to far East, then for exceeding 2kg they multiply the 2kg price by FOUR, to make the price at least USD 80, and compulsorily include services you might not want like tracking and insurance. But they have somehow missed out on the efficiencies of scale - which in most industries make increasing size cheaper per unit.

I have recently been sending some crystal vases we bought in charity shops. Already the postage (for under 2kg packages) is ten times the price of the thing.
02-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #18838
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Thanks for the follow up Mac. Your "estimate" is what I had in mind regarding the X-T10.

Also - cameradesicion (website) does give a better grading to the X-T10 when compared to the X-T20 = glad to see that being 'confirmed' here...

Finally - the K 135/2.5 = está de puta madre! I can't wait to get to know it and shoot more with it.
I've never used an X-T10 so I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than the X-T20, but the sensor ought to be better (my X-M1 has the 16MP) in everything but resolution. I know there are other significant differences between the 10 and the 20, though I no longer remember what they are, but I think the 20 debuted with a significantly higher price than the 10 due to that. However, given what they go for on the used market, the 10 is a real bargain for what you get while the 20, being more recent, not so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Yes, I agree that the X100V seems very, very nice and the price point is outrageous (for me, for what you get).

I kind of bought the X100s to get "that bug" out of my system and to see if it is really for me. I have a Fuji friend with the X100F and I really like it after a short loan shoot. If I get another Fuji, it will probably be the X-T30 and the 23 will be on the short list, too.

At this moment my oldest daughter (18) is in love with the X100s and I cannot seem to pry it out of her hands. Cheers, J
I think this is the price of getting her interested in a nice hobby. You'll just have to buy yourself another one...

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I'm being drawn to it as well.... but head says just get a DA 21 for the KP.... the 100V is about $2,300.... I can probally get a new silver 21 for $550 at some stage.... bloody heart though......
Depending on use, you may find a 23/2 Fuji (whether x100? or X-mount body paired with 23/2 lens) better than a 21mm Limited. The 21mm is a lovely lens and I use mine a lot for travel etc, but the speed difference is considerable and the X-mount 23/2 is sharper wide open. Despite the very close focal length they have completely different use cases for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I had the Fuji X bug. Started with an original new X100. Lovely camera, but the 23mm lens FOV just did not do it for me, so sold it on a few years ago. Then a couple of years later an Xpro1 in great nick became available for under £200, add another £200 for the 27mm f2.8 lens and I had the perfect, for me combination. Or so I thought, but the AF on the Xpro1 with that lens is slow and clunky, and the EVF not so great, so tried an XE2s (again for £200). Much better performance, but not so nice to have and hold. Sold on the Xpro1 at no financial loss. Still not satisfied though, so now have picked up a really great condition XT1 for £260. I think I have now found my ideal Fuji X model. It is barely larger than the XE2s, feels much better constructed and for my hands nicer to hold, and the EVF is BIG! I will probably keep the XE2s as a back up and/or to try out some of the cheap manual focus Chinese lenses. The Meike 50mm f1.7 and 7artisans 25mm f1.8 are already in my stable and produce very nice images, though they do take some getting used to due to handling quirks.
All focal lengths take some getting used-to and 35mm equivalent is the widest I'd ever want on a compact camera without interchangeable lenses. For a single focal length I prefer 50mm equivalent but 35mm has some advantages. I bought my 23mm just at the right time, when my daughter was born, for the use I give it - it's superb for documenting her growing up, at least now while she's small. When she's bigger and running around parks I expect my needs to change compared to now when she's small and crawling around the house.

I gave the X-T1 some strong consideration before upgrading from my X-M1 - the better build and WR would be particularly nice, especially when paired with the 23mm. However, I have the K-3 and 16-85 for use in bad weather though obviously a mirrorless & 23mm prime is very different from a DSLR and big zoom. I certainly wouldn't rule out adding a T1 now if I found one for the right price.
02-10-2020, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #18839
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
For a second, I almost thought you were saying it was fully compatible with my K-7, and I thought there had to be something wrong, so I re-read it.

From what you posted, it appears I would actually be able to focus with my K-7, which I didn't think it could do, but I'd be stuck with the lens fully open all the time, which isn't what I want to go for all the time. So I currently still stand by my thoughts to not try and find a PLM, not only due to cost but also compatibility.

(Though, I might have to check and see if you still have that K-3 sitting around in a month or so when I find out if I have any spare money after tax season is over which would open the door for the PLM.)
02-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #18840
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I took a chance on another Asahi Pentax K on eBay. Listed by a larger seller of vintage cameras in “fully working mechanical condition” and excellent cosmetics. My other K (179799) is a bit rough looking and needs shutter repairs, if the curtains are good. The second K only had a 300 mile trip by USPS. Unfortunately, it must have been dropped or subjected to some very high vibrations because it arrived non-functional. The mirror now goes UP when the shutter is cocked and stays there when fired. A tap on the table drops it. Shutter sticks open too. The seller was willing to take the camera back, but it is in such nice overall condition that I want to keep it and have Eric H. repair the camera. I ended up getting $50 plus $3 tax refunded. Both K’s are now packed in an insured USPS package and will be on the way to Eric. Hopefully at least the nicer body is repairable.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo