Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #19216
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I just work here and am keeper of the Standard - you guys can use whatever works for you...
How very non-confrontational of you Dave!

03-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #19217
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
How very non-confrontational of you Dave!
yep - that's me....

(:
03-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #19218
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nothing interesting on Friday. Saturday I was visiting friends on the South coast - my idea there was to arrive at least an hour early and browse local charity shops etc., but someone was apparently run down by a train along the route so my train was diverted onto a different route that took two hours longer than usual. Bit annoying, but at least I go there in the end. After the shops shut, of course...

Today one of the three car boot sales I usually go to was closed due to coronavirus (not quite sure of the reasoning, if it's just a precaution or someone associated with the site has the bug, but never mind), so I went to the second and for a tenner got two slightly damaged lenses:
A Pentax SMC Takumar-M (I think) 50mm 1:1.4 with the cosmetic trim - the bit around the lens that has the model details and serial number - and filter mount missing
Some sort of 28/2.8 for Olympus OM, also missing the trim.
The Pentax lens seems fine in other respects - I ought to be able to bodge a filter ring, probably a stepping ring the right size to fit around the front element. The Olympus-fit lens has a sticking iris, but I think it'll work loose. Remarkably neither has any fungus or damage to the glass. Paid a tenner for the two, and was very pleased. Didn't find anything else, and it started to rain so I went home instead of going on to the third site.

Really hoping things don't shut down completely thanks to the virus, it'd mess me up a lot, but we'll just have to see. I already know I'm probably going to miss two SF conventions as a result of this - the first is in April and almost certain to be canceled, the second is in August so I'm keeping my fingers crossed things will get better before it's too late.
03-15-2020, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #19219
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Vivitar Model 24 CdS exposure meter
NIB (?); $24.99 shipping included on eBay

Someone elses's image of one:

I have owned several of these and highly recommend this model.

Plastic foot mounts on camera via cold or hot shoe,
or use handheld with included leather case and lanyard.

Reads accurately with a single 44/76/357 size 1.5V button cell.
Though not a spot meter it does seem to read a surprisingly narrow area.

Chris
You stole my thumb!!!

The photo is from my review of the Model 24 on Hin's photo blog. My copy of the Model 24 is needing attention, but like you, I consider it a gem. For the full review...
Hin's Photo Corner: Newest, Most Favorite Gadget: Compact Exposure Meters

Steve

(...is the world small enough yet? )

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-15-2020 at 12:11 PM.
03-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #19220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I like the quote in Star Trek, from Dr McCoy about Scottie : "I know engineers, they love to change things."
I'm an engineer myself and it's true
A pet peeve about some engineers I've encountered here, which may be a consequence of something in the education of engineers in the USA. is an assertion that goes along these lines: Engineers can do anything given enough resources. To me, this flies in the face of physical reality, as I can image things that no engineer can build regardless of resources and finances. My favorite is an entire city enclosed in a transparent dome, a thing I used to see on the cover of some semi-scientific popular magazines back in the 1950's as legitimate predictions of what the future would inevitably bring. I also put into the "I can imagine it, but you cannot do it" category the notion of setting up mining operations on the Moon or Mars to supply construction materials such as iron, aluminum, cement, glass, etc on site rather than transporting it from Earth. Have people who make such predictions ever looked at the equipment and factories needed to mine and process such material here on Earth?
03-15-2020, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #19221
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Engineers can do anything given enough resources.
There is an observation that has been made by associates of engineers that has given rise to the saying, "For any problem, there is an engineered solution." The solution may not be particularly good, or practical, or cost-effective, but it will be the one vigorously proposed if an engineer is present.

Steve
03-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #19222
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Plastic foot mounts on camera via cold or hot shoe,
...and here is mine mounted to one of my cameras!

Steve

03-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #19223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is an observation that has been made by associates of engineers that has given rise to the saying, "For any problem, there is an engineered solution." The solution may not be particularly good, or practical, or cost-effective, but it will be the one vigorously proposed if an engineer is present.

Steve
That goes along with the observation that: "scientists answer questions; engineers solve problems." Laser light was somewhat of a joint discovery generated scientific curiosity and ideas and engineer-designed equipment to generate mono-wavelength light. The practical uses of laser light have been almost entirely engineering. I never cease to be amazed at some of the things designed and built = the work of engineers. But they cannot do or build everything and anything that people might want or imagine.
03-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #19224
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
But they cannot do or build everything and anything that people might want or imagine.
Engineered solutions are particularly mismatched to marital problems.

Steve
03-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #19225
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
and here is mine mounted to one of my cameras!
cool ! appears to be the lynx-1000.....sweet!
03-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #19226
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I know I am an engineer because I can spell it.

It.

See?
my brother in law was an engineer

he drove a choo choo train

03-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #19227
Veteran Member

I prefer to refer to myself as a technician, not as qualified as an engineer but at least I know which tool to use....

An old boss of mine used to say about graduate engineers "they can tell you how many smarties are in the jar but they can't get the lid off...."
03-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #19228
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

and here we are, with some SMU shots...

the Porst on the right has been here awhile, while the Porst on the left just arrived this week:

03-15-2020, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #19229
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My latest acquisition is, unfortunately a bad cold (definitely not COVID19 - it's backing off already.
03-15-2020, 03:09 PM - 2 Likes   #19230
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
A couple of minor issues with that old chap:

1. We don't get the US SMU down here in the NASA owned "antipodean" sound stage; and
2. Even if we did they would probably have been on the list of "items to panic buy".

When I offered an alternative ASSMU (Aussie Scottish SMU} of the world famous Tunnocks Caramel Wafer it was scorned by many here.....
IIRC. at the time I recommended that biscuit as an AMU*.

* Alternate Measuring Unit.