Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2020, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #19231
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I prefer to refer to myself as a technician, not as qualified as an engineer but at least I know which tool to use....
I was just a kid that wonders. Dads lawnmower was a victim of my wonders.... but not many 8yo learn what a woodruff key is.

03-16-2020, 06:28 AM - 4 Likes   #19232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the supermarket Saturday I saw they were completely sold out of SMU's!
Photographers may be hoarding telephoto lenses - to aid social distancing...

Chris
03-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #19233
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
At the supermarket Saturday I saw they were completely sold out of SMU's!
Photographers may be hoarding telephoto lenses - to aid social distancing...

Chris
Yes, it makes sense. Whenever I use my M 400/5.6 for the next while I will make sure I convert it into a 680/9.52 with my AFA 1.7x.
03-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #19234
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and I have yet to receive the income I should get when " Allen " wrenches are sold

I'm thinking about contacting @dlh to see if he will represent me in a class action law suit
Hmm, sounds like an action for "identity theft", don't it? I'd do it except for three things: I'm retired; I never did much work in Fed. cts. and it's been twenty years at least since I've read the FRCP; and most of the work I did was criminal defense in firearms and defense related cases. Other than that, I'm your lawyer!

Tell you what I could do, I could take a picture of an Allen wrench for you. Though, as with representing yourself in court, you have a perfect right to take the picture yourself.

03-16-2020, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #19235
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Hmm, sounds like an action for "identity theft", don't it? I'd do it except for three things: I'm retired; I never did much work in Fed. cts. and it's been twenty years at least since I've read the FRCP; and most of the work I did was criminal defense in firearms and defense related cases. Other than that, I'm your lawyer!

Tell you what I could do, I could take a picture of an Allen wrench for you. Though, as with representing yourself in court, you have a perfect right to take the picture yourself.
You know as well as I do the old adage:

A lawyer who represents him/her self

As a fool for a client
03-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #19236
Unregistered User

back when my degree in history qualified me to work as a software engineer, I was instructed by my supervisor, "Dan, what we need is phased implementation, not deferred perfection."
03-16-2020, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #19237
Pentaxian

back when my degree in history qualified me to work as a software engineer, I was instructed by my supervisor, "Dan, what we need is phased implementation, not deferred perfection."
Words to live by! Especially for software engineers - ask me, I would know...

03-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #19238
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Words to live by! Especially for software engineers - ask me, I would know...
Too bad the Canadian Government didn't follow the development rules when they tried to update the payroll system with "Phoenix". It's still burning and hasn't resurrected yet.
03-17-2020, 01:50 AM   #19239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC. at the time I recommended that biscuit as an AMU*.

* Alternate Measuring Unit.
Yes you did, and I thank you for it. Others however were not as generous....

It's a moot point anyway, I haven't any caramel wafers in the house at the moment.
03-17-2020, 06:07 AM - 3 Likes   #19240
Pentaxian

back when my degree in history qualified me to work as a software engineer
An elderly history tutor I knew when I was at uni was part of the Bletchley Park team that broke the Enigma code. There were no "software engineers" then of course, but Bletchley recruited mathematicians, linguists, and "academics who were expert crossword solvers". History was not my subject (but an interest, I am an engineer), but I attended some of his informal talks. He did not talk about Bletchley, but I learned of his involvement later, in his obituary.
03-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #19241
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Yes you did, and I thank you for it. Others however were not as generous....

It's a moot point anyway, I haven't any caramel wafers in the house at the moment.
I don't recall my position at this time but I think I opposed them

but in my defense I remember thinking erroneously they lacked chocolate covering

my bad
03-17-2020, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #19242
Pentaxian

I don't usually post non-photography stuff here but I'm perhaps feeling the pinch of being deprived of normal social contact, so this forum will serve as a proxy over the coming weeks

My latest purchases (will see if they arrive) are various bits of fitness equipment to use while we're confined to our homes and my gym is shut down. As someone who works in front of a computer all day, many of those from home (and now all from home), I consider regular exercise to be absolutely essential and start to get nervous if I'm deprived of it.

Such equipment on Amazon, at least in Spain, seems to be disappearing rapidly as others have the same idea.
03-17-2020, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #19243
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and I have yet to receive the income I should get when " Allen " wrenches are sold

I'm thinking about contacting @dlh to see if he will represent me in a class action law suit
I have a friend called David, who is a lawyer. I once suggested he claim from the local church, St David’s, for naming rights. He said he thought they could claim they had the name before him.
03-17-2020, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #19244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Such equipment on Amazon, at least in Spain, seems to be disappearing rapidly as others have the same idea.
It will be for sale again at a better price within the month I suspect!
03-18-2020, 01:57 AM   #19245
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
There is always calesthenics.

Push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, running in place . . . .

No equipment required.