Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2020, 06:21 AM   #19306
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Gitzo Series 5 Systematic XL GT5543XLS

There seems to be not much love here for Gitzo Tripods on the forum, which is strange as this is one "Rock Solid Tripod".

I borrowed one from a colleague recently, I was impressed enough to buy my own. It just works, a joy to use, it does all that one could ask of a tripod and does it well.

All in all, a fine piece of engineering and when used in conjunction with my RRS Ball Head, provides a perfect tool for my needs.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-24-2020 at 02:25 PM.
03-24-2020, 06:38 AM   #19307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
There seems to be not much love here for Gitzo Tripods on the forum, which is strange as this is one "Rock Solid Tripod".

I borrowed one from a colleague recently, I was impressed enough to buy my own. It just works, a joy to use, it does all that one could ask of a tripod and does it well.

All in all a fine piece of engineering and when used in conjunction with my RRS Ball Head, provides a perfect tool for my needs.
I have one of the original Gitzo carbon fiber tripods, purchased decades ago. The collar locks were always annoying because you must lock the largest first, and the smallest section had a tendency to slip. After about 25 years of usage almost all the legs would slip unless they were twisted really tight. I decided to install new friction pads which should be easy to get as Gitzos had a lifetime guarantee. Could not find a source anywhere in the USA but eventually ordered a set from England, which got installed about six weeks after deciding they were needed. Plastic instead of the original fiber. Out first time, the smallest leg section slipped almost dumping the camera + 200mm f4.0 macro. I have a Slik tripod with flip locks that is much older. It's quicker to set up and the legs still lock rock solid. It has had heavy usage but it isn't perfect because 1) it's short, no where near eye level; and 2) it's bulky and heavy for it's size. It's great for local bug & flower shooting, but not suitable for more general photography or landscape, nor for travel. Maybe the metal Gitzos are more reliable despite being cheaper than their carbon fiber models.
03-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #19308
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
Sony A7 ii

Since I have a load of old manual FF lenses (Pentax, Adaptall, Sigma, Tokina), why not get a high-spec FF digital body, just for the enjoyment of seeing how well these lenses perform over the full width of their front glass?

So I bought a Sony with a Fotodiox PK-NEX adapter, and for comparison I show it with my M 40mm f2.8 mounted, and compare with my ME Super attached to M50mm f1.4. This is a much lighter and cheaper toy than fully committing to a K-1, for which I have very few matched lenses.
I have been tempted, though prices are sort of strange for the A7ii in my area with good used examples fetching over $1000 body only. There is also the matter of the EVF giving me vertigo.

Steve
03-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #19309
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have been tempted, though prices are sort of strange for the A7ii in my area with good used examples fetching over $1000 body only. There is also the matter of the EVF giving me vertigo.
Steve
You can get a refurbished K1-II from Ricoh US for $1,299 right now. I just got one of the refurbished DA* 300mm f4.0 lenses for $599 and I am happy with it.

I am with you on the EVF. Drives my eyes crazy.

03-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #19310
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
sweet!!! have 2 that still work...one with a roll that needs to be finished!!! also have the AA grip which is quite nice and will pay for itself!! although I got it for a zx-50 which has died from the gear syndrome....the zx-l will be the only zx body I will ever get going forward.....sweet ass body and features!
Yeah, I was debating for a bit wether or not I should get the grip, but I did end up getting one on ebay from Roberts Camera/UsedPhotoPro for $21.34 ($23.21 with taxes) due to the fact that AA battery's are gonna be waaay cheaper in the long run
03-24-2020, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #19311
Pentaxian

So I finally took time to open the boxes:
Box 1 (the little one)
It will go with a previous buy (second picture) and fast tested with da35 (without flashing the ring flash - only cropped up and bottom).
These close-up lenses seems to be achromatic.

It can also attach to the DA Macro 100/2.8, it will be a serious Macro combination

Last edited by Jome; 07-22-2020 at 08:43 AM.
03-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #19312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All in all a fine piece of engineering and when used in conjunction with my RRS Ball Head, provides a perfect tool for my needs.
I have a Gitzo GT3330 tripod that I found for a steal on ebay. It appears to a rare model. It came with a Manfrotto 393 gimbal. I have hauled it all over Yellowstone Park and other areas like Camas and Red Rocks and I'm in my 60's.
I can't see any reason I'd ever replace it. Its heavier aluminum but it is stable with any lens including the DA560.

03-24-2020, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #19313
Pentaxian

And the second package.
I bought it primarily for the Pentax Refconverter A, it cost me about $50 for the whole set.
The flash doesn't fire
Edit: I found the cause of the problem, there were no metal in the battery door

Sadly the winders doesn't works.
I have to find batteries for the camera.

Last edited by Jome; 07-22-2020 at 08:43 AM.
03-24-2020, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #19314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a new bike. Ordered it just before things got weird. Maybe not the best time to spend the money but it was already in progress when I realized that and I think it will help get me through these crazy times!
It's a Pivot Trail 429 built up with Shimano XT components. Can't wait until the dirt opens here!

Last edited by mattb123; 03-24-2020 at 01:32 PM.
03-24-2020, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #19315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Does this count as a new acquisition? Actually taken with my newest acquisition, a DA 40mm Limited that I bought by mistake on Ebay. I placed a bid and to my surprise, there were no other bids. So a good deal on an unintended acquisition.
"Bought by mistake" always makes me laugh. The context makes sense but still

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
recently arrived: Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 and the DA 18-135 it is replacing:
These are different animals, how do you seem the Sigma replacing the Pentax?

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Post office and delivery services should still be operating relatively normally.
In Canada, things have slowed down quite a lot. I don't know about otherr parts of the world.

I see Gitzo as very desirable tripods, but over budget for many people.The thing is they are probably as good as tripods can get, but the law of diminishing returns applies to this also. You can get products almost as good for a fraction of the price.

Getting back to the original point of the thread, I have three nice things coming my way:

-a 60mm cristal ball to experiment and crank up my photographic creativity

-a hip strap to complement my two Peak Design Everyday backpacks (regular and Zip). Expect to see it featured in upcoming reviews.

-a Peak Design Travel Tripod. Expect a review in the future. I look forward to testing it and seeing how its different shape impacts usability.
03-24-2020, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #19316
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
These are different animals, how do you seem the Sigma replacing the Pentax?

hugely different, but both are mid-range zooms; the Pentax more of consumer/occasionally found as a kit lens, while the Sigma has a more professional optical set up....
03-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #19317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dwalt Quote
I have a Gitzo GT3330 tripod that I found for a steal on ebay. It appears to a rare model. It came with a Manfrotto 393 gimbal. I have hauled it all over Yellowstone Park and other areas like Camas and Red Rocks and I'm in my 60's.
I can't see any reason I'd ever replace it. Its heavier aluminum but it is stable with any lens including the DA560.
The dilemma with tripods is the good ones are heavy which often means they are not carried along.
A good tripod must have a certain mass, lightweights are no good they are not stable.
I am into my second Manfrotto 028B tripod the first one had aluminum finish.
The current one is black. The 028B is often used for video cameras.
Fitted with the clever little Leitz ball head it serves me every day.
Can't think of a better tripod for Pentax use.
03-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #19318
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
In Canada, things have slowed down quite a lot.
Canada was already pretty laid back, and running at a slower pace.

So things must really be slow now, eh?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-24-2020 at 03:22 PM. Reason: stoopit autocorrect!
03-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #19319
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
That's what is supposed to happen, but I was very nervous it would actually be the case. I have currently a mobile phone issue, but the service might as well be non-existent at the moment, as all forms of communication with the provider is problematic to say the least.
That is typical for providers. Their business is communication but whenever you need them they have problems with communication.
I switched to Deutsche Telekom but was unable to get small changes after I signed the contract.
For me enough reason to end all agreements. They are still bothering me to get an answer why I did that.
03-24-2020, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #19320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just purchased a FA43 limited lens to complete the amigos and also bought myself the new Think Tank Retrospective backpack. Both should be delivered by the end of this week. I’m excited.