Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2020, 06:22 AM   #19651
Pentaxian

More hot sauce and a new phone.

05-11-2020, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #19652
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So in a very short span of time, I bought 3 things:
• Another Sigma 18-35 Art because the first one I bought off ebay never arrived and the seller wouldn't respond to my messages so I was able to get a refund from PayPal. This one I bought from UsedPhotoPro.
• 1 plain black cloth/neoprene facemask
• 1 customized black cloth/neoprene facemask with my last name, my radio number and the acronym of my work place on it. Unfortunately the state park I work at only gives us 1 regular surgical mask to wear until we it wears out or rips and we need a new one. And they've given us 2 black masks that look like they've been cut from pantyhose.
05-11-2020, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #19653
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
More hot sauce and a new phone.
What is a "radio number"? Are we all supposed to have one? :>)
05-11-2020, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #19654
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
What is a "radio number"? Are we all supposed to have one? :>)
I have a radio number because I'm a "foreman" (for whatever it's worth, trust me it's not as important as it sounds. I'm just a seasonal employee.) so my various supervisors may need to contact me at various times for various reasons. Some people at the park know me by my radio number.

05-11-2020, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #19655
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another small eBay job lot:

A DDA Optics 200mm f4.5 lens with Exakta T-mount
A DDA Exakta-fit 2x adapter
both in good condition apart from a small scratch on the rear element of the lens. The T-mount is probably worth a fiver on its own, I paid a tenner plus £3.10 postage for the lot so I'm pretty happy. This is the second time in a couple of weeks I've picked up DDA gear and so far it all appears to be Tokina made, really good quality construction, so I'm very pleased.
05-11-2020, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #19656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I have a radio number because I'm a "foreman" (for whatever it's worth, trust me it's not as important as it sounds. I'm just a seasonal employee.) so my various supervisors may need to contact me at various times for various reasons. Some people at the park know me by my radio number.

At my workplace the maintenance department also includes cleaning staff.
One custodian on each shift is the "group leader".
He/she is the one who also has to carry a radio.

The radio is for the convenience of management only. I call it "my electronic leash".
Anyone who has to work with their hands, tools and parts knows what a PITA it is to be called on the radio.
And no, our walkie-talkies don't have hands free or VOX features.

The only benefit to being forced to listen closely (in case you are called) every minute while on the job
is that every so often you will hear something so absurd it is unintentionally hilarious.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-11-2020 at 10:06 AM.
05-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #19657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Thanks. All this is very educational for me. :>)

05-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #19658
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I have one of a good number of Pentax K-3 cameras which simply stopped powering up. Video Cam Repair in Pasadena, CA, fixes them for $169.00 including freight. Will post further information when camera is fixed and returned.
That is a pretty good price. Let us know what they replaced.

Steve
05-11-2020, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #19659
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Steve, I definitely will give a final report. For their estimate, they stated positively that they would replace the power board. It sounds as if they are pretty well accustomed to this particular repair.

---------- Post added 05-11-20 at 03:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
This is the letter I received:

"Video Cam Repair <videocamrepair@gmail.com>
Sun, May 10, 1:41 PM (1 day ago)
to me

Hello Ivan

The estimate repair cost is $179.00
The power circuit needs to be replaced.

Our estimate include parts, labor and general service cleaning (inside and body) as well as re calibrating and re-aligning it to factory settings and free return shipping in United States
We use brand new, original parts.
Our repair comes with 90 days of warranty on parts and labor.
As soon as we receive the unit we will send you a conformation and the technician will confirm the repair cost. If the technician diagnoses the unit with different issues we will contact you and let you know before we start the repair.

If you decide to send the unit for repair please visit our web site www.videocamrepair.com and fill out the work order form. Make sure to SUBMIT the form and print two copies of it, keep one of them and include the second copy inside the shipping box.
*****Please make sure to submit the workorderform

Our repair turn around time is within 3-5 business days
We Accept All Major Credit cards, Checks, Money Orders and PayPal
We will email you an invoice after the repair is completed.

Thank you for choosing VideoCamRepair "
05-11-2020, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #19660
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
At my workplace the maintenance department also includes cleaning staff.
One custodian on each shift is the "group leader".
He/she is the one who also has to carry a radio.

The radio is for the convenience of management only. I call it "my electronic leash".
Anyone who has to work with their hands, tools and parts knows what a PITA it is to be called on the radio.
And no, our walkie-talkies don't have hands free or VOX features.

The only benefit to being forced to listen closely (in case you are called) every minute while on the job
is that every so often you will hear something so absurd it is unintentionally hilarious.

Chris
I feel the pain there. Except with us, the "foremen/women" don't change and whenever we're in we carry a radio. I actually have run over a parking lot area with a few other forepersons under me with about a little less than dozen staff (although this year we don't have as much staff because I don't know if/when we will be collecting parking fees). The radio is definitely an electronic leash of sorts because where ever you go, management can also reach you. It's a worse PITA because every hour I have to call in 'car counts' to our management office. It's exactly as it sounds - I, or another foreperson, has to count the number of cars in a lot and report it up. It's made worse because we don't have a truck for our own use so we have to find someone close by if we're doing something or walk over to the lot and count. It's very annoying because I'd rather be finishing up what I'm working on rather than sprint up to a lot every 40 minutes to count cars during a time when there's next to no one at the park.

The happenings at the park are very funny. Recently, one of our upper super's wanted an employee to reclean a bathroom because it "smelled too clean."
05-11-2020, 09:04 PM   #19661
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally pulled the trigger on a Sony A7ii and a Pronto Pro auto focus attachment. Saw the Sony drop to $899 and the Pronto on eBay for $182.

I was afraid that the mark ii would soon be gone.

Having the ability to autofocus all my old but great Canon FD and FDn lenses, Takumar, and rangefinder (Russian, German, and Canon) is great for these aging eyes that wear thick glasses.

I've saved the Canons and Taks for years just for this. The shake reduction is light-years ahead of my K3! That is saying something! I can't wait to use those special lenses full frame.

-Lance
05-11-2020, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #19662
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve been saving sale proceeds in my PayPal account awaiting pre-order for the DFA*85/1.4. In these times, with income and investments down 20% (yes, I know - at least I have income and investments) I should sell some gear before I buy more gear.

Unfortunately mrs monochrome just learned she is relegated to WFH until at least August 1st, and possibly until January 1st. I was told I won’t be returned at the office (over 60) except to meet clients - but they otherwise prefer I Work From Home indefinitely. Consequently our cobbled together workspaces just won’t work any more, so we both had to clean out our Mad Money accounts and buy:
  • WMF Laser Printer/Copier/Scanner so she can print near her desk instead of emailing to our personal PC and printing there.
  • 54” table/desk for me to replace 3 occasional tables of varying heights
  • 2x24” Monitors to replace an elderly 21” and 22”
  • Real office chairs to replace chairs removed from the living room
  • Cheapest iPad possible because all her work meetings are insecure Zoom and her Mac has too much personal stuff on it.
No 85 and no K-new for me, I guess, (and more gear sales too).

Last edited by monochrome; 05-12-2020 at 04:42 AM.
05-12-2020, 03:10 AM   #19663
Veteran Member

I got the car serviced today, and had to get a puncture plugged.
05-12-2020, 04:39 AM - 5 Likes   #19664
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A used but working copy of the SMC Pentax-A Macro 50mm 1:2.8

05-12-2020, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #19665
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
A used but working copy of the SMC Pentax-A Macro 50mm 1:2.8

Stellar lens, you're going to love it.