Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #20266
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
just got a National Geographic Rocky Mountain National Park Trails Illustrated Topographic Map and Passes to enter Rocky Mountain National Park -

well due to the virus and my decision not to fly [ plus MLB cancellation of ballgames ]

we cancelled our vacations to Yellowstone and San Francisco this year

yet the wife's employer said " use it or lose it " about her vacation time

she didn't want to drive to Yellowstone from Topeka so we are driving to Estes Park Co and the Rocky Mountain National Park instead

just made our reservations to be allowed into the RMNP for each day: 9/10, 9/11, 9/12, 9/13, and 9/14

Fees & Passes - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

won't expect to see any bison or grizzly but hopefully elk, mule deer, big horn sheep, rocky mountain sheep and more

https://irma.nps.gov/NPSpecies/Search/SpeciesList/ROMO
Were it not for the double meaning of both phrases, I would with you either good hunting or good shooting. I guess I must wish you good imaging. Hope your photo ops are many, and if animated, cooperative.

08-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #20267
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Were it not for the double meaning of both phrases, I would with you either good hunting or good shooting. I guess I must wish you good imaging. Hope your photo ops are many, and if animated, cooperative.
hunting and shooting not allowed in RMNP so good luck with photos will have to do

thanks
08-10-2020, 12:23 AM   #20268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Well, I decided there isn't much use getting a new camera untill I upgrade my early 2009 Imac.... so just did the deed..... $5,000 poorer now... would be nice to get 11 years out of the new one. Now... I can't get this years new Kcamera..... a vicious circle....
Apple is discontinuing Intel Macs within the next 2 years, which means software support will stop a few years later. I'd say around 5 years, then that's it. Sorry. Perhaps you can make the switch and run Windows on it.

Last edited by kadajawi; 08-10-2020 at 12:28 AM.
08-10-2020, 03:51 AM   #20269
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

with the success of the 35/2 on the K-S1a, I went ahead and bought a Nikkor SC 55mm f1.2....

08-10-2020, 05:15 AM - 2 Likes   #20270
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Apple is discontinuing Intel Macs within the next 2 years, which means software support will stop a few years later. I'd say around 5 years, then that's it. Sorry. Perhaps you can make the switch and run Windows on it.
I know this.... not an issue..... what support do you think one will need 5 years from now? My software needs don't really change that regularly.... will be a non issue..... will still be shooting my K1 5 years from now runnjng lightroom 6 still! But I guess I am still running office 2008.... and will still be running office 2008 in 2028 probally.

Would not want a 1st gen iMac in 2022 anyhow.
08-10-2020, 10:21 PM - 4 Likes   #20271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought an SVS PC-2000 PRO subwoofer to replace the Klipsch R-110SW I have had in my loungeroom over the past 6 years.

Due to the upgrade the klipsch sub goes to my brother in law. Considering I'm giving it to him for free my sister can hardly complain so he sought to exploit that loophole in spousal approval.

The new subwoofer has passed all initial tests, and can comfortably maintain reference volume without overheating - SVS use a discrete amplifier design so this reduces the need for a heatsink as the heat generating components are spread out. Also this subwoofer has a bluetooth connection ability when paired with SVS app on a smartphone you can change a number of vital features (volume/Port tuning/Eq/Room gain compensation) remotely. Setting it up and finding optimal placement for the sub is quite easy, however the PC- 2000 being a downward firing cylinder enclosure design means there can be a fair bit of energy transmitted to the floors in bass heavy sequences and things in the immediate vicinity will rattle more than they probably would with a standard forward firing boxed subwoofer. The chief benefit of the cylinder subwoofer design is small footprint, light weight and an inherently stronger enclosure without the requirement for heavy duty bracing that square cabinets often need.

It is a rather novel but highly effective design. I'll admit I was caught a bit off guard at how tall the subwoofer is. Perhaps I should buy a second one and use both of them for bookshelf speaker stands.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-10-2020 at 10:39 PM.
08-11-2020, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #20272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Perhaps I should buy a second one and use both of them for bookshelf speaker stands.
Just one but you could put an aspidistra on it.

08-11-2020, 03:14 AM - 4 Likes   #20273
Veteran Member

Glad I don't live next door to Digitalis.... I would have to make all my own meals*.

* Wife would go and complain about thump thump noise.... this would undoubtably escalate**... she would be arrested for doing bad stuff..... I would have to cook for myself..... whilst unsupervised and poorly fed I buy stuff on line..... wife gets out on bail..... does bad stuff to me for buying lenses/camera/20yo Port..... etc etc.... and all Digitalis's fault..... boy... dodged a bullet there.

** Logic meets emotion.... always escalates.

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-11-2020 at 03:22 AM.
08-11-2020, 05:13 AM - 3 Likes   #20274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It is a rather novel but highly effective design.
You must be single
08-11-2020, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #20275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad I don't live next door to Digitalis.... I would have to make all my own meals*.

* Wife would go and complain about thump thump noise.... this would undoubtedly escalate**... she would be arrested for doing bad stuff..... I would have to cook for myself..... whilst unsupervised and poorly fed I buy stuff on line..... wife gets out on bail..... does bad stuff to me for buying lenses/camera/20yo Port..... etc etc.... and all Digitalis's fault..... boy... dodged a bullet there.
You forget, my musical tastes go beyond the common and repetitive top 40 doof-doof rubbish played on the airwaves. What you will hear are pipe organ toccatas, Piano concertos, music from obscure and sometimes well known artists...and of course a good movie soundtrack every now and then. There is no such thing as too much amplifier power, though there is a thing called restraint and I am considerate of my neighbors (if only they showed similar respect). It is only in my photography studio where I admittedly sometimes go to excesses with the dual 16" SVS subwoofers I own which are paired with a compliment of high end klipsch floor standing speakers

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You must be single
I will point out I had the Klipsch R-110SW subwoofer at the beginning of a relationship that lasted several years, If you must know we split up over differences in musical taste.
08-11-2020, 12:45 PM - 2 Likes   #20276
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got me an 80mm lensball, £11 from amazon. Sweet!
08-11-2020, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #20277
Veteran Member

* Wife would go and complain about thump thump noise.... this would undoubtably escalate**... she would be arrested for doing bad stuff..... I would have to cook for myself..... whilst unsupervised and poorly fed I buy stuff on line..... wife gets out on bail..... does bad stuff to me for buying lenses/camera/20yo Port..... etc etc.... and all Digitalis's fault..... boy... dodged a bullet there.

** Logic meets emotion.... always escalates.
Digitalis new gear needs a lot of hard work in the WAF department. For those unfamiliar with that phrase: WAF stands for Women Acceptance Factor.
Most of the time related to large cabinets producing high sound levels in living rooms. The ultimate was the attempt to use four speakers in a room and claiming the center of the room as the ideal listening position. It was not failing technology but a strong movement initiated by women to destroy the future of four channel audio.

Good quality stereo is all you need unless you are watching movies with surround audio.

---------- Post added 08-11-20 at 03:10 PM ----------

For my kitchen I found a nice microwave combined with a heated air oven. The old microwave has to go to give me a chance to heat pizzas and similar food.
It is a large unit claiming the complete top space of the Frigidaire. Looks like fun to develop meals for that gear.
08-11-2020, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #20278
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I got me an 80mm lensball, £11 from amazon. Sweet!

these are fun....

08-11-2020, 11:50 PM - 2 Likes   #20279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Digitalis new gear needs a lot of hard work in the WAF department. For those unfamiliar with that phrase: WAF stands for Women Acceptance Factor.
In contrast, there is also MTF* Mens Tolerance Factor. The places women take us and the things they say about us when they think we are out of earshot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Good quality stereo is all you need unless you are watching movies with surround audio.
Very true! Though the way I see it: here should be an emphasis on Good Quality.

* not to be confused with Lens MTF which @ 50% contrast is a standard for measuring Lens resolution.The acronym stands for Modulation Transmission Function.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-12-2020 at 02:08 AM.
08-12-2020, 02:38 AM - 2 Likes   #20280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K3 I bought recently arrived, along with an 18-135 zoom, battery grip and remote control unit. I only wanted the body so the rest of the gear will be going in the classifieds soon. So far I'm very impressed with the K3.