Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #20401
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Matt

I don't play games on this one.I use a microsoft 360 for that.

Photoshop Elements is what I use for processing photos ( could not justify over $ 1,000 aus for full photoshop ) I don't qualify or know anyone to get it at "student " cost.
I don't mean that as an insult or anything like that, just that for a photographer that is a pretty lean setup these days. Impressive you can still get good use out of it.

I don't play games on mine either (or at all) but I do stuff like big panoramas or 350+ image stacks for star trails. Medium format images and even K-1 images still seem to give even modern hardware a good workout. Maybe I'm just too impatient. I'm also a software engineer so I'm spoiled on my engineering setup and don't like my personal system to lag too far behind what I'm used to using on a daily basis.

Affinity Photo is a decent Photoshop alternative and much more affordable, FYI.

08-25-2020, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #20402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I don't mean that as an insult or anything like that, just that for a photographer that is a pretty lean setup these days. Impressive you can still get good use out of it.

I don't play games on mine either (or at all) but I do stuff like big panoramas or 350+ image stacks for star trails. Medium format images and even K-1 images still seem to give even modern hardware a good workout. Maybe I'm just too impatient. I'm also a software engineer so I'm spoiled on my engineering setup and don't like my personal system to lag too far behind what I'm used to using on a daily basis.

PP for images should be at least as quick as service from a take-out that keeps everything under heat lamps.

Expecting instant gratification. Isn't that alleged to be an American character flaw?
08-25-2020, 09:04 AM - 2 Likes   #20403
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
PP for images should be at least as quick as service from a take-out that keeps everything under heat lamps.

Expecting instant gratification. Isn't that alleged to be an American character flaw?
Well I still wouldn't call it instant. Some recent big star stacks on my 8 core 3.65 GHz system with 32 GB RAM and a PCI SSD still gave me enough time to go get takeout or even make dinner before it would be done loading up the images.
08-25-2020, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #20404
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheetah Stand rolling boom and a Glow 48" curved stripbox. I already have Manfrotto counterweights (sliding bar weight and not a bag) and think adding one to the base will make a fine substitute for a C-Stand on a portrait shoot, and a whole lot easier to move and navigate.

BTW, quick question for anyone using the Cheetah Boom Stand. The max weight on the extended boom arm itself is spec'd at 8 pounds thereabouts. Sofbox plus AD200's would be under that even if I use twin AD's, tho not by a lot. Does the counterweight need to be considered too in that weight limitation? This is the only on-location one I'd be using a boom arm on and had planned on sliding a 10 lb weight on it for counterbalancing.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-25-2020 at 01:53 PM.
08-25-2020, 11:33 AM - 12 Likes   #20405
Pentaxian

After entering the country on august 5 going in and out of customs twice my new SMC Pentax 30mm 1:2.8 arrived today with the mail today, not even with the delivery van. So I didn't get to sign for it. The big advantage of all this incompetence is that I also didn't get a bill for VAT and handling, which I should have had. From Yahoo Japan via buyee.com. It had just two low res pictures and the seller described with just

"The appearance and the lens are very beautiful. As far as the eyes can see, there is no mold or cloud on the lens. The function is also normal. Genuine front and rear caps and filters are included. How about a Pentax fan?"

Gamble turned out well it seems. Since the 30 has no cemented groups I was prepared to take the risk.

08-25-2020, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #20406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I still wouldn't call it instant. Some recent big star stacks on my 8 core 3.65 GHz system with 32 GB RAM and a PCI SSD still gave me enough time to go get takeout or even make dinner before it would be done loading up the images.
I looked over a review of a new, astrophotography devoted automated telephoto device. A relative small telescope, 80mm diameter I think, with a very sophisticated tracking mechanism and an automated camera. Takes up to hundreds of short-exposure images and composites them, but if you have friends waiting to see, better have cocktails and cheese bedecked crackers aplenty.

I should add, the review, in a magazine devoted to astronomy that tests expensive amateur equipment regularly - 8 or 10 inch Schmidt Cassegrain reflector, apochromatic refractors, etc. - was highly impressed by the quality of images obtained with this radically new design fully automated astrograph.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 08-26-2020 at 06:24 AM.
08-25-2020, 04:00 PM - 2 Likes   #20407
Veteran Member

Sounds pretty ancient!
I like to get a long life out of my computers but I have not had anything with less than 8GB ram for quite a few years!
My new Imac came with 8GB standard ..... am waiting on 32G to arrive this week to add to it (same price to buy 32 then it was for apple to upgrade to 16).... so 40G in the end..... with 8 now after booting it is all used with nothing running.

---------- Post added 26-08-20 at 08:51 AM ----------

My computer must be "ancient" then
2gb ram 1tb hdd..... but I don't have 80,000 pics either only 11,000............ very slow picture taker is me.
Something new yes a crumpler bag not a camera bag model but it does double duty.
One can never have enough bags!.... I'll probally end up with 11,000 after I delete all the stuff that I left "to delete later" over the years.

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-25-2020 at 04:21 PM.
08-25-2020, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #20408
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Hi Matt
Good morning
Not remotely taken that way. .
I'm not very computer savy and don't tax one at all..
All the photos in my gallery are sooc and resized for download.
I now have aswell ACDSee which I am slowly ( very ) learning.

Dave
08-25-2020, 04:56 PM   #20409
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Noel

Bags they just multiply and after that you still don't have the right one.
Without buying from overseas our range to choose from is poor. .
A new monitor is waiting for its new box to attach too.

Dave
08-25-2020, 05:37 PM - 3 Likes   #20410
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

an Olympus 50mm f1.4, with original caps, box, and instruction sheet....
08-25-2020, 11:42 PM - 2 Likes   #20411
Pentaxian

An Olympus E-420/14-42mm ED for $7.00 (US equivalent) Clean, no dust/fungus and minimal signs of use.
Shutter count 8360. https://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/oly_e420.htm
https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-camera/olympus-ft-shutter-count

Shop could not test as there was no charger included so selling as-is. Challenge accepted !

Despite having a box-full of thrift shop chargers (more than 25 ) none would accept the E-420 battery.

Although...I do have a weird charger that charges anything !! ;-)
https://www.electronicworld.co.nz/shop/power-charger-adaptors/camera-charger...1000380_3.html
https://www.harveynorman.co.nz/cameras/camera-accessories/hahnel-unipal-plus...l-charger.html

It needs some magic-foo set-up but will do most battery types and both 3.7v and 7.4 Li-ion. My go-to rescue when I buy cameras without chargers.

Found a spare 1GB XD card and a 2GB CF-Flash (E-420 uses either/both) and once charged it performs as expected.

Ordered the custom USB cable and it arrives tomorrow so I will update camera and lens Firmware.

Light and small... just right for smaller-handed family members
Found an adapter to convert Pentax lenses to use with it....(Yes...There is a Pentax connection to my post :-)

Last edited by bobD; 08-26-2020 at 01:22 AM. Reason: )
08-26-2020, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #20412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alex66 Quote
I have had the S3 twice, regret selling frequently there is something magical about that sensor, damn tempted to buy another and the Nikon 85mm 1.8.
Many S5 users also praising S3 for its distinct vivid color, it is even tougher to find a S3 in good condition nowadays.
I am currently waiting for my pre-ai lenses: 35mm 1.4, 55mm 1.2 and 85mm 1.8 to return from John White in Michigan, I ordered his service to convert those 3 lenses into Ais.. can't wait to use it on S5
08-26-2020, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #20413
Pentaxian

Olympus OM 135mm f3.5

In perfect condition, and at well below the Australian market price. Here a few shots OOC jpegs, no cropping or sharpening, to test the close focus and infinity focus. All at about 400ISO in fading light.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
08-26-2020, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #20414
Veteran Member

Hi Noel

Bags they just multiply and after that you still don't have the right one.
Without buying from overseas our range to choose from is poor. .
A new monitor is waiting for its new box to attach too.

Dave
Yes... I have a few gathered over the years.... I'm using motorcycle type packs now... makes me feel ruggard.
08-26-2020, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #20415
Pentaxian

A Samyang 35mm f/2.8 AF for Sony FE mount for the bargaintastic price of £80.
It was originally listed for £170, had no takers despite being lower than RRP, and the seller subsequently dropped it for a quick sale.
It looks as though it’s not been used much, if at all.
First few shots with it are promising and it’s incredibly light and small.
Bought with the intention of selling on to trade-up on lenses but I’m inclined to keep it actually...