08-29-2020, 08:53 AM - 4 Likes   #20446
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Never had LBA (TG!) - only buy "stuff" for which I have a "defined requirement"
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
OK, I stand corrected. Everyone except @jeallen01 suffers from the affliction.
Oh, he has LBA, he just rationalizes it differently.

08-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #20447
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is where someone will suggest that one has failed, hence the dark exposures.

Steve
If that was the case it should make good exposures at f/22 or whatever the minimum aperture is. The images just remain black. The aperture works, I checked. I don't have a good feeling about this one, it is probably a goner...
08-29-2020, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #20448
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh, he has LBA, he just rationalizes it differently.
FWIW - last lenses bought were the PLM in Jan 2018, and the used 17-70 SIGMA about 2-3 yrs before that.

PS: no current plans to buy anything else anytime soon.

Last edited by jeallen01; 08-29-2020 at 12:14 PM.
08-29-2020, 01:35 PM - 2 Likes   #20449
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
PS: no current plans to buy anything else anytime soon.
Also known as "remission"

08-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #20450
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the " experienced " K 1 II that I had been expecting since 08/25 has arrived

after a delay, I have it in hand

for those who want to be bored, please read on - I had posted a thread about if I rented a K 1 or K 1 II for a planned trip in September to Estes Park/RMNP, would I be doomed to want to buy one, I called it: " how dangerous is the K 1 and K 1 II "

while that thread was " developing ", a member contacted me via PM and made me an " offer I could not refused " on an " experienced " K 1 II, so I bought it and it was promptly placed in the " kind " hands of the USPS and the saga began -

notices from the US PS tracking starting 8/21 that it was to be delivered on time 8/25

then on late 8/25 received notice that it was running late, delivery on 8/25 after 8 PM

then no info except it had been shipped from the original location and was " in transit "

got notice today it would be delivered before 8 PM on 8/29

left home for puppy class this AM and came home saw a note but no package

" need signature package will be available for pick up on 8/31 "

got a little mad b/c PO has my electronic signature on file

started to head to PO to complain and chose to take back route then saw a PO truck on side of street several blocks away

stopped no one there

started looking and found postman who was delivering to other houses on foot

yep, same guy

" they never tell us if any one has an e signature on file "

then " and I wouldn't have left it b/c it is drizzling "

I signed and took the package

so I have it in hand, looking it over, sent pm to seller with the whole story

no pictures yet, going through Operating Manual and E Book first tonight

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-29-2020 at 02:42 PM.
08-30-2020, 01:08 AM - 3 Likes   #20451
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Give that man a medal.
Not only was he working on the information available to him but was acting in your best interests by not leaving you a wet parcel !!

Our mailperson would have done the same but for the good relationship we have formed by being appreciative of their desire to do well.

We regularly leave home-preserves and thank-you tipples in our rural box. We leave our updated contact numbers and have arrived at a 'horn-toot code' to advise when a parcel is left.

We treat our mailperson as a decent human and valued community member. They reciprocate by going the extra distance to ensure our parcels are delivered in a timely manner and when raining they walk to our designated safe spot on the porch and leave our parcels.

As we have now both shared phone numbers we can co-ordinate deliveries where the item may be of high value or need special care.
This smooths and speeds their day and makes us both feel we have a working relationship rather than an antagonistic don't care anonymous clash.

Cheers,
Bob
08-30-2020, 02:22 AM   #20452
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my irritation was at those who did not inform the carrier that there was an e signature on file

and the porch is covered from the rain

but I did not express any anger to the carrier

he was doing the best he could do under the circumstances, although I did get the impression from his reaction that the issue of the drizzle may not have been what prevented the delivery, it appeared to be an excuse made up on the fly

just my impression from his expression and body language

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-30-2020 at 02:27 AM.
08-30-2020, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #20453
Veteran Member

Against my habit not to spend money on broken cameras I bought an early 500C camera with damaged transport knob and detached drive shaft at the bottom of the lens opening. The transport knob can be exchanged. The damaged drive shaft is a serious problem.
I can use the chrome shell and the viewing screen with rare split to improve a 1958 year camera with an ugly shell.
Mechanical parts can be used to restore the oldest 500C in my collection. That is camera number 15 made in the first week of production in 1957.
Pure luck to find a good donor.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fluegel; 08-30-2020 at 01:56 PM.
08-30-2020, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #20454
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Give that man a medal.
Not only was he working on the information available to him but was acting in your best interests by not leaving you a wet parcel !!

Our mailperson would have done the same but for the good relationship we have formed by being appreciative of their desire to do well.

We regularly leave home-preserves and thank-you tipples in our rural box. We leave our updated contact numbers and have arrived at a 'horn-toot code' to advise when a parcel is left.

We treat our mailperson as a decent human and valued community member. They reciprocate by going the extra distance to ensure our parcels are delivered in a timely manner and when raining they walk to our designated safe spot on the porch and leave our parcels.

As we have now both shared phone numbers we can co-ordinate deliveries where the item may be of high value or need special care.
This smooths and speeds their day and makes us both feel we have a working relationship rather than an antagonistic don't care anonymous clash.

Cheers,
Bob
Same here, I built a little table near the gate to save him walking to the house. No horn code needed, my 2 great Pyrenees in the back yard let me know when he is half a mile away. On the rare occasions it is wet, he carries a supply of polyethylene bags. Likewise the UPS & Fedex guys.
08-30-2020, 08:36 PM - 3 Likes   #20455
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a mailman, but our Staples delivery guy is the most cheerful delivery person here. He has an awful route, but remains smiling all the way. I thoroughly enjoy the friendly exchanges as he passes.
08-31-2020, 12:19 PM - 3 Likes   #20456
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a new signature banner acknowledging my newly acquired K 1 II

thanks to the kindness of @jerryleejr
08-31-2020, 09:22 PM - 3 Likes   #20457
Pentaxian

I recently bought a pair of new sneakers. My old pair are starting to fall apart. Tomorrow, Wednesday, I will acquire another paycheck!
09-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #20458
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sykil Quote
Got my first Takumar in from Japan today: the 200 / 3.5. There are a handful others I'd like to try, but this seemed relatively unique between the preset aperture and (slightly unnecessary) 18 diaphragm blades, so when I found one with the hood and collar for a decent price, I sprung for it.
I have one without the collar and it is a beast! Undoubtedly you will enjoy your first tak especially with this being your first
09-01-2020, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #20459
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I recently bought a pair of new sneakers. My old pair are starting to fall apart. Tomorrow, Wednesday, I will acquire another paycheck!
Since last year I've been trying to totally "break" a very old, and very "war weary", pair of (Clarks) leather sandals - but NO, the damned things just won't finally fall apart.

Last edited by jeallen01; 09-01-2020 at 12:57 PM.
09-01-2020, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #20460
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3 Nikon front lens caps

The 50/2 Nikkor lens finally arrived after spending a week at the wrong nearby post office.
It's like new so was well worth the wait.

The Praktica BX20 arrived from Lithuania. As mentioned by others it just doesn't
feel as solid as the previous generation of Praktica bayonet mount cameras.

Chris