Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #20491

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have a later version of that. It had a now gone rubber grip on the focus ring and a black aperture ring in M42 mount.
Are you happy with the photos you got from it? I have no idea what to expect - but at 6 dollars I really can't complain. It was just a gamble on my part.

09-06-2020, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #20492
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A family member gifted me an SMC Pentax M 28mm f/2.8. It is in excellent condition, still in the original box. Even the JCII sticker still looks good. I now have two copies of this lens. This is the one with the chrome ring. Mine (bought new) is the "rare" late version without the chrome ring, made for a year or so before the A series came out. I will probably keep both, as de-acquiring lenses goes against my nature, hehehe.

I also received a CPC 80-200mm f/4. This is in equally good shape, still in the original box. The price sticker is still on the box and it was not cheap back in the day. I will try it out tomorrow.
09-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #20493
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
Are you happy with the photos you got from it? I have no idea what to expect - but at 6 dollars I really can't complain. It was just a gamble on my part.
I gave hardly used it. It was bundled with a Takumar I wanted. So it has sat around for several years.
09-07-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #20494
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Some Energizer 357/303 silver oxide batteries to use in one of my Lomo LC-A cameras. It has sat unused for some years now, but appears to be working just fine... Now to load up some cheap film from my fridge and take it out for a spin

09-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #20495
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I gave hardly used it. It was bundled with a Takumar I wanted. So it has sat around for several years.
Most of these later Soligor models were made by Tokina or Miranda, with fairly common optical formulae. They're rarely (if ever) great, but neither are they typically bad. Depending upon individual expectations, they're capable of producing perfectly decent (even excellent) images. I have a couple of Tokina 28mm lenses from the same era, and I like them. I'd guess the Soligor you've bought is similar. Frankly, at six bucks for a working lens with no obvious problems, you'll have a lot more fun than your tiny investment suggests
09-08-2020, 02:37 AM - 4 Likes   #20496
Pentaxian

Today this arrived. Lens looks good, just a little dust and crud easily wiped off. Camera a bit shoddy and a surprise inside.

the surprise:

and an original ready bag

09-08-2020, 03:49 AM   #20497
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Today this arrived. Lens looks good, just a little dust and crud easily wiped off. Camera a bit shoddy and a surprise inside.

the surprise:

and an original ready bag

ah, the crap shoot of whether or not they are amazing photos.... or nothing....

09-08-2020, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #20498
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
ah, the crap shoot of whether or not they are amazing photos.... or nothing....
There were some chips of film coating in the camera. So it probably has been in it for a long time.
09-08-2020, 05:04 AM   #20499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would any shots on this be salvagable now that they've been exposed to much light?
09-08-2020, 06:44 AM   #20500

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Most of these later Soligor models were made by Tokina or Miranda, with fairly common optical formulae. They're rarely (if ever) great, but neither are they typically bad. Depending upon individual expectations, they're capable of producing perfectly decent (even excellent) images. I have a couple of Tokina 28mm lenses from the same era, and I like them. I'd guess the Soligor you've bought is similar. Frankly, at six bucks for a working lens with no obvious problems, you'll have a lot more fun than your tiny investment suggests
Thanks for the answer. I will be picking up the lens today. As far as I have been able to research, this lens was made by Sun Optical Co. in 1977. The serial number starts with 277.

2 = Sun Optical Co.
77 = year of manufacture.

As far as I've read the Sun models were among the best of the different versions. It also has a 58mm filter thread which seems to be uncommon for these lenses. But either way, at 6 dollars it's a fun vintage toy if nothing else. 🙂
09-08-2020, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #20501
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Would any shots on this be salvagable now that they've been exposed to much light?
Nope.

Whatever exposures that may have been on the roll are gone forever.
09-08-2020, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #20502

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
The film is opaque and can block much of the light reaching the film on the inner spirals. With a brief exposure to light you can get edge fogging and fogging through the sprocket holes on all the frames.

Most likely everything has been lost but you never know. If you are willing to spend the money or the time to develop the film you can take a chance. Depending on the lab or service they may not charge you or pro-rate the charge on unusable frames. Or just have them develop only and not print or scan if they offer such services.
09-08-2020, 12:18 PM - 2 Likes   #20503
Pentaxian

After my experiences with photo's left on SD-cards I am not so curious as to what is on the roll I have seen enough mundane holiday snap shots and family gatherings.
09-08-2020, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #20504
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last week B&H had a set of Smith Victor-KT1500LED 2-Dual Socket Light kit on sale for $89.99. I figured that since it came with four 45w LED bulbs it was a good deal. They are not dimmable but since I do not have any studio lighting at the moment they will come in handy once in awhile.

Yesterday a Paxcess foldable 120W solar panel kit was delivered. Tried it our today and it seems to work fine. Not sure of maximum output, but it charged my Paxcess power station okay. Nice and portable too. Weighs in at about 13 pounds (6kg).
09-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #20505
Veteran Member

I sold the *85. I bought a hybrid bike with the money. I think is the pic if you are interested I will send video