Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
10-06-2020, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #20656
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Fridges are every day here for most with a 4WD that like to go camping etc..... normally 40 to 80 litre capacity.... all can be either a fridge or run at -18c as a freezer..... some have both compartments...... use a small 12v compressor..... generally.... on 12v they draw 3 to 4 amps.... and as a fridge might run on a 50% duty cycle.... as a freezer they tend to be running most of the time.... so 24hr x say 3amps is 72 amp hours of battery draw per day.

The oven draws 10amps or so..... so has about a 120w element.... about 2 hours from cold to heat a load to 160c or so..... with the oven.... I might fill it at 10am and stop for lunch at 12:30 type of thing..... has a thermostat and timer.

When doing this.... most have a second battery added to the car..... isolated in some way from the starter battery..... in my case I have a 100ah Lithium auxiliary battery under the bonnet....... but of course when the vehicle motor is running the alternator runs everything.

I also have a 2kw 240v AC inverter in the car.... so can run our coffee machine from the lithium battery...... that uses about 100amps to run the 1200w 240v element..... but is only for 15 minutes at most..... etc.
I had one colleague who famously drained both batteries in the car by leaving freezer on overnight, not quite sure how but he was somewhat gifted when it came to electrical things.

As for an oven, a South African colleague regularly cooks a small roast when driving across the outback by wrapping it in two layers of tin foil and sticking it in the engine compartment, Obviously it is a little difficult to select how well cooked the meat will be, but by the end of the day it is a hot meal ready and waiting.

10-06-2020, 07:24 PM   #20657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I had one colleague who famously drained both batteries in the car by leaving freezer on overnight, not quite sure how but he was somewhat gifted when it came to electrical things.

As for an oven, a South African colleague regularly cooks a small roast when driving across the outback by wrapping it in two layers of tin foil and sticking it in the engine compartment, Obviously it is a little difficult to select how well cooked the meat will be, but by the end of the day it is a hot meal ready and waiting.
Somewhere I saw a very old Popular Mechanics article or some such on how to cook a meal on your car's exhaust manifold while driving...
10-06-2020, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #20658
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
but by the end of the day it is a hot meal ready and waiting.
-"Is it good?"
-"well it is hot... and ready"

I saw a tv add in the US that goes like that for Lil'Caesar's pizza... funny, and oh so true.
10-07-2020, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #20659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cooks a small roast when driving across the outback by wrapping it in two layers of tin foil and sticking it in the engine compartment
That's not sanitary.

10-07-2020, 04:46 AM - 4 Likes   #20660
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
"Pies"! - when at Uni in Leeds (North East England) "many decades" ago, one of the local "delicacies" were "tatty pies", which were basically just mashed potatoes in a shortcrust pastry case. Neither very tasty and nor very nutritious - but filling, and very cheap!

Not sure if they still sell them "up North", but maybe they do in the current health (and economic!) crisis.
In Preston they are called butter pies. The potato is sliced rather than mashed and coated in butter. If you listen closely, when you eat one you can hear your arteries closing up. Thankfully they never made it to Lancaster. One name for the meat and potato variant,l which I came across (but haven't heard for a while ) was a meat and tatty knocker!
10-07-2020, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #20661
Pentaxian

Last weekend was poor due to heavy rain and the cancellation of two of the venues I was going to, but I did get a nice Franka Solida II folding camera (120 film) in good working condition for £20 - a bit more than I would have preferred but I ought to make a little on it, and I want to stay on good terms with the seller.

Today I got an OK eBay job lot delivered - for £15 including postage I got
Optomax T-mount 135/2.8, M42 mount and hood - fungus in rear, unfortunately fairly bad but may be cleanable.
Palinar H-mount 35/2.8, M42 mount and hood - very clean
Bell and Howell 75-260 4.5 for OM with skylight filter - some internal dust, not sure if it's fungus since it's deep inside
Kaginon(?) 3.5/50 enlarger lens - dust and slight fungus
Meopta Belar 4.5/75, presumably an enlarger lens but it has a tiny screw mount, slightly smaller than C-mount. No idea what it fits. Fungus city anyway, going straight to the bin.
and a weird little gizmo for splitting standard 8mm film down the middle (it came in reels 16mm wide that went through the camera twice). I'm going to add it to some other Standard 8 gear I'm selling.

The 35mm Palinar and Bell and Howell zoom will hopefully pay for the lot and make some profit. If I can sort out the 135 I will be very happy.
10-07-2020, 09:31 AM - 4 Likes   #20662
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two items photographic...AFT1 and AFW1 flash lenses for AF280T flash. Besides being hard to find, these two little items are amazingly difficult to photograph the way I usually do product shots. I finally settled on a natural light snapshot with the phone cam.

One item non-photographic...an automotive battery charger to replace the less-than-robust unit I have been using. This new one is pretty sweet and a huge improvement.

Steve

10-07-2020, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #20663
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That's not sanitary.
To their credit they did use TWO layers of tinfoil...

Lol.
10-07-2020, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #20664
Pentaxian

That's not sanitary.
N̶o̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶s̶e̶ Probably cleaner than a lot of the restaurant kitchens that feature on Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares

Last edited by timb64; 10-07-2020 at 10:40 AM.
10-07-2020, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #20665
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Somewhere I saw a very old Popular Mechanics article or some such on how to cook a meal on your car's exhaust manifold while driving...

My brother used to drag race his future mother-in-law's Plymouth Valiant at NY National Speedway in eastern Long Island.
IIRC they had a racer's newsletter that regularly included recipes utilizing this cooking method.

In the 1960's road food choices were few and far between, and people weren't as fussy - er, cautious - as today.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-07-2020 at 11:19 AM.
10-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #20666
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Had quite a week this past week. Bought (in order of last remembrance):

-And an issue of Practical Photography magazine which came with a complimentary license of Luminar 3
I have L3, and it is a horrendous memory hog. It is marginally useful on my MacBook Air with 8 GB RAM.
QuoteQuote:
Edit: Also bought a Samsung Galaxy Watch off of eBay a few days ago and a new nightstand last night.
10-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #20667
Veteran Member

I purchased a Nikon N60 with 2 Quantaray lenses (28-80mm & 100-300mm) plus a fairly decent camera bag - 20.00 USD on ebay, I also landed a N65 from different seller - body 15.00USD, seller sent me a N60 instead, but fully refunded me and told me to keep the camera. Both cameras appear to be fully functional. I have loaded one with some expired film and this time I will take my time and do a proper shoot.

I'll post some photos as soon as my Nikon 4004s and N6006 arrive. This way i can set up and shoot the lot.
10-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #20668
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have L3, and it is a horrendous memory hog. It is marginally useful on my MacBook Air with 8 GB RAM.
I'm using an XPS with 32 Gb RAM and an i7 and L3 runs pretty well. I find that it and RawTherapee run better than darktable on my computer. I'm actually planning on upgrading it to 64 Gb RAM when I can.
10-07-2020, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #20669
Veteran Member

That's not sanitary.
Isn't it? The meat is wrapped to shield it from any dirt or vapours that the engine would give out (or the road throws up) and the heat from the engine cooks the meat. As long is you wash your hands after handling the raw meat and don't handle the cooked meat with unwashed hands then I can't see how it is not sanitary.
10-08-2020, 12:56 AM   #20670
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Two items photographic...AFT1 and AFW1 flash lenses for AF280T flash.
Drool !