Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 06:29 AM   #20761
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
. . . In the US it seems that once you do this your name is sold all over the place. These large envelopes started appearing in my mailbox. . . .,
just a way for the charity to raise money, and like other for profit business, they do sell " mailing lists "

the charities are hoping for " guilt " of receiving something for free will lead you to contribute to them

10-20-2020, 07:58 AM - 2 Likes   #20762
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Time to replace rusty connectors for my audio stuff
16 connectors and 8 meters of cable to put together...

Last edited by Jome; 11-21-2020 at 08:06 AM.
10-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #20763
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Occasionally I send some money to various charities. The response has been off the wall. In the US it seems that once you do this your name is sold all over the place. These large envelopes started appearing in my mailbox. So far I have accumulated all the Christmas cards we will need this year plus cards for various other occasions. More pens than I can count, two calculators and even negotiable checks. (I tear these up) Some send dimes or nickles. Lots of writing pads too. Calendars from hard cover pocket size to wall size. Dream catchers, a pair of gloves, a t-shirt and a reusable grocery bag!. All in an attempt to get me to send money to them. It's just insane.
Welcome to the club ... unfortunately. It is no doubt encouraged by Canada Post to the detriment of delivery of first class post.
10-20-2020, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #20764
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Occasionally I send some money to various charities. The response has been off the wall. In the US it seems that once you do this your name is sold all over the place. These large envelopes started appearing in my mailbox. So far I have accumulated all the Christmas cards we will need this year plus cards for various other occasions. More pens than I can count, two calculators and even negotiable checks. (I tear these up) Some send dimes or nickles. Lots of writing pads too. Calendars from hard cover pocket size to wall size. Dream catchers, a pair of gloves, a t-shirt and a reusable grocery bag!. All in an attempt to get me to send money to them. It's just insane.

I know the phenomenon. They send cheap stuff to make you feel guilty about not giving something. They make me angry because 1) they are trying to make me feel guilty; 2) they are squandering donations on junk. My reaction is disgust and a resolution to give them nothing. But rest assured, no human notices if you give or if you do not give because essentially everything is computerized, and the computer does not tire of sending solicitations then getting no response. Charities I've not given to for decades still send solicitations multiple times a year. Charities where I might consider a donation will never receive a penny because even a $1 gift will elicit an endless barrage of additional solicitations both from them and from related charities, commonly arriving weekly. Rest assured, no matter how much you give, they are certain you can give more. I gave up on all charitable donations sometime in the 1990's, but still the solicitations come. My sister-in-law never lived at our home, but somehow charities that she supported got our address and years after her death we still get solicitations from them with her name at our address. I did manage to quash all solicitations coming to our address in the name of my sister (she never lived here either), I printed a bunch of stickers that said, in red letters: "RETURN TO SENDER, ADDRESSEE DECEASED." I pasted these over the window of envelopes without opening them. It took a couple of years with some charities requiring three or four returns, but eventually they all gave up.

10-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #20765
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
Time to replace rusty connectors for my audio stuff16 connectors and 8 meters of cable to put together...
What kind of cables are you using?
10-20-2020, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #20766
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
What kind of cables are you using?
a good one (for the price): sommer cable sc-stratos

it is to connect old HiFi elements
10-20-2020, 11:25 AM - 2 Likes   #20767
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
a good one (for the price): sommer cable sc-stratosit is to connect old HiFi elements
About 16 years ago I 'made' my RCA/XLR/hifi/TRS1/4" cables for my set up using this cable. It still sits around waiting for new equipment or replacement. Great cable; even better when I acquired it for free (perks of managing a music studio (Mastering) in NYC in the early 2000's).

I will always remember a cable brand that used pink lettering to brand their cables. Their name escapes me but were solid good cables.

10-20-2020, 04:26 PM - 7 Likes   #20768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My grail telephoto zoom DFA 150-450 WR will be arriving from Georgia sometime this week (I hope). Of course, I’ve had to sell some very nice gear to fund this splurge. Just had to. Birding has become a primary hobby.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7RM4  Photo 
10-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #20769
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
just a way for the charity to raise money, and like other for profit business, they do sell " mailing lists "

the charities are hoping for " guilt " of receiving something for free will lead you to contribute to them
Hi Allen

It would be better in my view if the charities spent the money on what they promise to do and not on " free" goods and postage.

Dave
10-20-2020, 09:26 PM - 7 Likes   #20770
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A while back, I took an interest in getting a Tessar. I had a few lenses of that design, but none adaptable to Pentax-K. Thus it was that did a little look-see on eBay and soon discovered that if I wanted a Zeiss Jena from this side of the Atlantic, it was going to cost me. I would have liked to have found a "zebra", but the cheap part of me saw what appeared to be a clean example of the later black version attached to a Praktica Super TL3. I know little about Praktica and really did not need another camera, so I put in a bid for $11 over the minimum $50, figuring that chances were excellent that I would lose. There was another bidder, but they gave up at $60.

So it was that I became a new Praktica owner. I knew the camera was clean based on the auction photos, but was not prepared to find that it appears to be virtually unused. Everything works and other than the Tessar needing new focus lube, it is very much a user. I guess that means I got a good deal.

Praktica Surprise!

K-3, MMZ MC Helios 44-3 58/2.0

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-20-2020 at 09:34 PM.
10-20-2020, 09:38 PM   #20771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I know the phenomenon. They send cheap stuff to make you feel guilty about not giving something. They make me angry because 1) they are trying to make me feel guilty; 2) they are squandering donations on junk. My reaction is disgust and a resolution to give them nothing. But rest assured, no human notices if you give or if you do not give because essentially everything is computerized, and the computer does not tire of sending solicitations then getting no response. Charities I've not given to for decades still send solicitations multiple times a year. Charities where I might consider a donation will never receive a penny because even a $1 gift will elicit an endless barrage of additional solicitations both from them and from related charities, commonly arriving weekly. Rest assured, no matter how much you give, they are certain you can give more. I gave up on all charitable donations sometime in the 1990's, but still the solicitations come. My sister-in-law never lived at our home, but somehow charities that she supported got our address and years after her death we still get solicitations from them with her name at our address. I did manage to quash all solicitations coming to our address in the name of my sister (she never lived here either), I printed a bunch of stickers that said, in red letters: "RETURN TO SENDER, ADDRESSEE DECEASED." I pasted these over the window of envelopes without opening them. It took a couple of years with some charities requiring three or four returns, but eventually they all gave up.
I can remember years ago, my Mom got neckties that were made by the blind, unfortunately they looked the part.

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
My grail telephoto zoom DFA 150-450 WR will be arriving from Georgia sometime this week (I hope). Of course, I’ve had to sell some very nice gear to fund this splurge. Just had to. Birding has become a primary hobby.
Congratulations, that's on my wish list.

I was on the fence over the 150-450 and the DA rear converter. I was not sure about the TC, but I kept seeing good results, but then when B&H dropped the price down last week, I decided to go ahead, so I could use it now because the 150-450 would be not be happening for a while. So I got it Friday, haven't got to use it much yet, but I really like it so far with the DA*300. Just fooling around I tried it with a 50 macro too, not bad. I've got a couple of M42 items that I haven't got to use yet, so I'll revisit with them later.
10-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #20772
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I can remember years ago, my Mom got neckties that were made by the blind, unfortunately they looked the part.

Congratulations, that's on my wish list.

I was on the fence over the 150-450 and the DA rear converter. I was not sure about the TC, but I kept seeing good results, but then when B&H dropped the price down last week, I decided to go ahead, so I could use it now because the 150-450 would be not be happening for a while. So I got it Friday, haven't got to use it much yet, but I really like it so far with the DA*300. Just fooling around I tried it with a 50 macro too, not bad. I've got a couple of M42 items that I haven't got to use yet, so I'll revisit with them later.
I’ve had two HD DA 1.4X converters. The first I purchased as “Open Box” return from Amazon. I was not pleased with its performance at all and returned it to amazon. The second (bought used on Forum Marketplace) which I’m using with my DA*300, FA 100 Macro WR and DA*60-250 gives excellent results, even at maximum aperture, especially on the 300. The only issue with the converter, it slows down the already somewhat slow SDM autofocus of the two DA* lenses.
10-21-2020, 03:05 AM   #20773
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Allen

It would be better in my view if the charities spent the money on what they promise to do and not on " free" goods and postage.

Dave
agreed

but " guilt " sells, they do get donations after they send out the " free " stuff

I remember how mad I got when I found out that the American Red Cross gave their President a salary of $1,000,000

but of course, she had political connections

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-21-2020 at 03:10 AM.
10-21-2020, 05:47 AM   #20774
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Just bought a Canon EF 90-300 for £19.99 plus P&P from Oxfam's online store, they're usually pretty careful about describing faults so hopefully it's good.
Received this today - one very tiny scratch on the front element but working well and very clean. Think I got a bargain.

To chime in on the comments about charity, these days I mostly I support by donating goods or buying from charity shops. It's nice and simple, and usually works out fairly well for me.

When I was publishing a role playing game as shareware I gave 10% of the proceeds to Cancer Research UK. That raised a couple of thousand pounds over the years, but I've had to shut it all down now because the Euro rules on online sales and data protection changed, and the tax situation got so complicated that it would have been a nightmare to continue. There's another role playing game I wrote a few years ago that is sold as a PDF in aid of Doctors Without Borders - it's raised several hundred pounds for them. That one's nice and simple because the money goes straight from the PDF distributor to the charity and they handle all the legalities and taxes, I just check the figures occasionally.

Later - just received a job lot I got on eBay - a nice Vivitar 28-210 in PK-A fitting, some filters and other junk, a PK reversing ring and a genuine Pentax M42 to PK adapter which wasn't even mentioned in the listing (but it was just visible in one of the photos, my main reason for bidding). Cost £22 including delivery, should make a modest profit.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 10-21-2020 at 07:14 AM.
10-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #20775
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I knew the camera was clean based on the auction photos, but was not prepared to find that it appears to be virtually unused. Everything works and other than the Tessar needing new focus lube, it is very much a user. I guess that means I got a good deal.

Praktica Surprise!

K-3, MMZ MC Helios 44-3 58/2.0

Steve
Love hearing when someone gets a better than expected deal. Congrats Steve. Ebay used to be a great shopping spot but amazing finds are getting rarer. It's not uncommon for me to find a better price at Amazon.