What he said ^ ^ ^

Steve

oof.... ye of little faith...

(:

11-10-2020, 05:52 AM - 2 Likes   #20972
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First man in on an original Asahi Pentax K-m42 adapter with pouch & instructions for $20 shipped. Sometimes being an obsessive marketplace watcher has its benefits. I’ll be mounting it semi-permanently on the S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8 I bought last month.
11-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #20973
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Allen

It would be better in my view if the charities spent the money on what they promise to do and not on " free" goods and postage.

Dave
Is that not part of the charitable process?
11-10-2020, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #20974
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
You lucky... Replaced one in downstairs bathroom not too long ago, was stuck for real.
Simple jobs can be miserable!

One of my washing machine supply line valves had a very small drip -- the cartridge had actually fractured inside the fitting, and wouldn't come out. Instead of sweating new copper in close quarters, I was able to 'Dremel' the piece and remove it in bits without damaging the fitting.

- Craig

11-10-2020, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #20975
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Is that not part of the charitable process?

Some charities have notoriously high overhead, with a relatively small percentage of donations going to the stated cause.

In this case your donations are supporting the charitable organization more than the intended recipients.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-10-2020 at 05:10 PM.
11-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #20976
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Simple jobs can be miserable!

One of my washing machine supply line valves had a very small drip -- the cartridge had actually fractured inside the fitting, and wouldn't come out. Instead of sweating new copper in close quarters, I was able to 'Dremel' the piece and remove it in bits without damaging the fitting.

- Craig
Simple jobs don't stay simple, that is the problem! My most recent task of removing the muffler and exhaust system from my aging Dodge Ram pickup turned complex when nut and bolts proved stubborn to remove and had to be drilled out!
11-10-2020, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #20977
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Simple jobs don't stay simple, that is the problem! My most recent task of removing the muffler and exhaust system from my aging Dodge Ram pickup turned complex when nut and bolts proved stubborn to remove and had to be drilled out!
You ruined my day with the words "drilled out". I had an unexpected off road excursion, and the skid plate did its job beautifully, but the plate mounts were damaged to the point they have to be ... [you guessed it].

11-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #20978
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
Edge Router X - Haven't used that model but the older Edge Routers were solid.

QNAP NAS - That'll be nice and is a good price for any NAS. It can be expensive but photography is too much work to lose over a single drive failing.

Are you using the WD Element drives in the NAS? If they comes with the Ultrastar drives, then that's quite a deal.

The IT side of me has to ask... Are you going to backup? QNAP has backup software which will sync to Amazon S3, BackBlaze, etc. automatically. BackBlaze seems to be the cheapest ($0.005 / GB per month). Restoring is painfully slow or they offer to sell you a drive with your data (full refund when it's returned).
The EdgeRouter X is their low end budget offering, so the CPU is a bit weak and several features are only implemented in software. It's more like a managed switch on steroids, so internet connections above 300-ish Mbits would be limited when using QoS, traffic analysis etc. On the other hand they are really affordable.

Yeah, I'd rather have an Intel based NAS, but at that price point who could complain? There are MyBook and Elements drives (8 TB each) in the NAS. All bought with roughly half a year between them, so they shouldn't fail at the same time. 3 of them are Ultrastar He10-8 and one is a Ultrastar DC 320, though they may have a different firmware...? Who knows. At least the hardware should be pretty solid. It's set up that one drive could fail... I'd rather have 5 bays so I could set up RAID 6 if I'm not mistaken, but again, the price.

I have another NAS based on an Ivy Bridge CPU and OpenMediaVault, so I'll be mirroring the most important stuff there (though without redundancy probably). That thing serves me for stuff I don't need as frequently and that isn't so important (the power consumption is pretty high). I did and do consider something like BackBlaze, however my upload speed is 6 Mbit. And there are roughly 15-20 TB on the NAS that I would very much like to keep. So maybe it isn't too realistic.

Oh yeah, and I got the QNAP switch for less than 100 Euro as a display unit on eBay, which also made me quite happy (they are around 140+ new).

While shopping today I discovered a Olympus 30mm 3.5 macro lens for 111 Euro, which is far below even the second hand value of the lens. I already have the Sigma 30mm 1.4 contemporary, but I will be using the Olympus to "scan" old negatives. After that I guess I'll sell the lens.
11-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #20979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You ruined my day with the words "drilled out". I had an unexpected off road excursion, and the skid plate did its job beautifully, but the plate mounts were damaged to the point they have to be ... [you guessed it].
I am sure that I would have felt right at home on your job, at home but not at ease!
11-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #20980
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
First man in on an original Asahi Pentax K-m42 adapter with pouch & instructions for $20 shipped. Sometimes being an obsessive marketplace watcher has its benefits. I’ll be mounting it semi-permanently on the S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8 I bought last month.
I saw that one and figured some deserving PF member would snatch it up. Good work!

As for semi-permanent attachment...I do that with a couple of lenses.

Steve
11-10-2020, 02:54 PM - 3 Likes   #20981
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Every five minute job is just one broken bolt or stripped thread away from becoming a five hour job.
11-10-2020, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #20982
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Every five minute job is just one broken bolt or stripped thread away from becoming a five hour job.
That’s where the hot wrench comes into play.
11-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #20983
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

what is a hot wrench?

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That’s where the hot wrench comes into play.
Please educate us about the hot wrench. What is it? How does it work? What can we do with it? Where can I get one?
11-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #20984
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
and one Voigtlander Ultron 55mm f1.4 AR (QBM mount)...(that should hold me until Christmas)
hmm

no photo

no SMU

hmm

very suspicious

and then the statement:
QuoteQuote:
(that should hold me until Christmas)
very very suspicious

hmm

who did posted that
11-10-2020, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #20985
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
hmm

no photo

no SMU

hmm

very suspicious

and then the statement:
very very suspicious

hmm

who did posted that

ah, I see....

I usually post a pre-emptive strike before the SMU shot, just to make sure y'all are ready....