Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2020, 05:04 AM - 3 Likes   #21166
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Finally, after a loooooong search, I found this P/KA Adaptall 2 adapter in my area...
$16.50 including shipping
Tested working with my K-3 and 360B

Last edited by Jome; 03-04-2021 at 12:38 AM.
11-26-2020, 05:32 AM - 3 Likes   #21167
Pentaxian

Adaptall mount

QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
Finally, after a loooooong search, I found this P/KA Adaptall 2 adapter in my area...
I hope it dismounts OK as well. I was caught out by one that had the infamous Ricoh pin and it jammed on a friend's K3. Lucky the feeler gauge trick worked. Whenever I use a PKA adaptall, I have a feeler gauge set in my pack.

I too have a recent acquisition in the Adaptall mount family. I found a cheap M42 mount, unused condition in original box with the Adaptall 2 folded brochure and I have been using that with a genuine M42-PK ring on a K-70, as well as on my Sony bodies.
11-26-2020, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #21168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FGAS (Flash GAS]

A Sunpak G4500, 4205G and 455. I received the first and last of those yesterday for £16 (incl postage). Those two are identical, the G4500 being called the Auto 455 in North America for some reason and IDK how this one got to the UK. They were on Ebay "from a house clearance" and sold "untested" but they both work fine. They have a few rub marks on them and one lacks its battery holder.

I got the G4205 (544 in North America) some months ago for £12 including postage and it is in mint condition. Slightly lower Guide Number (42 rather than 45) but has some advantages over the others. For one thing, the model name on the front is nicely moulded in the plastic, but the G4500/455 have sticky labels, which are deteriorating and look tacky.

None of these have any camera dedication and are fired via the camera X connection - suits me. All the trigger voltages are low and I've been using them on my K-1.

So I paid an average of less than £10 for each of these. I have just bought another G4500 from Ebay, non-working, to get the battery holder and possibly to mix-and-match parts to get the best of everything. I shall keep the 4205G and the best G4500/455, and re-sell the rest.

PS: I have already put reviews of these in the PF Review section.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 11-26-2020 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Added PS
11-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #21169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
FGAS (Flash GAS]

A Sunpak G4500, 4205G and 455. I received the first and last of those yesterday for £16 (incl postage). Those two are identical, the G4500 being called the Auto 455 in North America for some reason and IDK how this one got to the UK. They were on Ebay "from a house clearance" and sold "untested" but they both work fine. They have a few rub marks on them and one lacks its battery holder.

I got the G4205 (544 in North America) some months ago for £12 including postage and it is in mint condition. Slightly lower Guide Number (42 rather than 45) but has some advantages over the others. For one thing, the model name on the front is nicely moulded in the plastic, but the G4500/455 have sticky labels, which are deteriorating and look tacky.

None of these have any camera dedication and are fired via the camera X connection - suits me. All the trigger voltages are low and I've been using them on my K-1.

So I paid an average of less than £10 for each of these. I have just bought another G4500 from Ebay, non-working, to get the battery holder and possibly to mix-and-match parts to get the best of everything. I shall keep the 4205G and the best G4500/455, and re-sell the rest.

PS: I have already put reviews of these in the PF Review section.

I like these old hammerheads and have several copies of the 522 model. They put out plenty of light and are well balanced when mounted on the camera. The 522 operates with or without the Sunpak Remote Sensor, but offers a high degree of accuracy in lighting with the sensor installed on the hotfoot and ASA and distance dialed in.

---------- Post added 11-26-20 at 11:20 AM ----------

Just picked up a new Sony A6000 for my wife on sale at Best Buy for $499, including 16-50mm lens. It is ready for curbside pickup.

11-26-2020, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #21170
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
recently arrived (on the left, as always):

EEEEK! The dreaded PB!

Fuji to the rescue!

Steve
11-26-2020, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #21171
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Interesting design, how does the Autofocus work?
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It was contrast detect, in 1981...

If the subject was stationary, well lit, and had a lot of contrast, it would eventually focus...

It's historically significant as the first consumer AF SLR with the electronics in the body, it just didn't do enough to be successful in the market. Minolta stole phase detect from Honeywell and released the Maxxum in 1985...
The contrast AF detector was in the bottom of the mirror box and used a secondary mirror very similar to that used by modern PDAF sensors. The design pattern Pentax used became the industry standard.

Steve
11-26-2020, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #21172
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
I hope it dismounts OK as well. I was caught out by one that had the infamous Ricoh pin and it jammed on a friend's K3. Lucky the feeler gauge trick worked. Whenever I use a PKA adaptall, I have a feeler gauge set in my pack.
????? If you use the K-R mount, you get the pin. The regular PK/A should be safe, though care should be taken to always have the aperture ring set to maximum opening when attaching/detaching the adapter.

I too have a recent acquisition in the Adaptall mount family. I found a cheap M42 mount, unused condition in original box with the Adaptall 2 folded brochure and I have been using that with a genuine M42-PK ring on a K-70, as well as on my Sony bodies.
How did you work around the lack of M/F switch on the M42 adapter?

Steve

11-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #21173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Charities sending you money.... That's a new one to me. What is the rationale?
I used to donate to an animal charity and they'd send you T shirts and umbrellas, etc. Like you, I'd rather they kept the stuff. Makes me wonder how much of my donated money goes towards the animals and how much goes towards t-shirts, overhead, marketing and salaries.
I have probably gotten close to $20 in checks this year. Started a few months ago. The rationale behind the gifts is to shame you into giving.
11-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #21174
Veteran Member

I’m sure they’ve done their research and found that giving T shirts and canvas shopping bags works out in their favor by getting more people to donate. The checks seem a little odd. Whatever their rationale for a check, I’m sure they are such low amount that most people don’t cash them which is probably not an accident.
11-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #21175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
EEEEK! The dreaded PB!

Fuji to the rescue!

Steve
Some of the PB prime lenses are OK, and that 50 is optically identical to a long line of M42 predecessors. They adapt to Canon EF and all of the mirrorless formats easily, I think that most of the ones I sell are adapted to something else. Unfortunately the flange focal distance is shorter than Pentax, so there's not going to be any easy way to mount them so they focus to infinity on PK. But avoid PB zooms like the plague, I don't think I've ever seen one that doesn't have fungus!

That's odd - the only PK/R Adaptall mount I've ever seen was PK/R only, it didn't work with PK/A.

I know that there are hybrid lenses and converters that fit PK/A and PK/R and work on both - I'm selling a Sirius 28-70 of that type at the moment. It has a rounded stud rather than the long Ricoh pin, and I've tried it on several Pentax autofocus bodies without problems. I've also got a teleconverter somewhere that seems to be designed the same way, unfortunately it's not very good in other respects.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 11-26-2020 at 06:42 PM.
11-26-2020, 10:09 PM - 3 Likes   #21176
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Last week I made an impulse purchase on the marketplace of a late 1960s fixed-lens rangefinder, a Minolta Hi-Matic 9. I was not familiar with the model, but the feature set was intriguing, the most interesting being program exposure automation using analog mechanical logic alone. In addition to driving the program mode, the meter provides uncoupled numeric output to the viewfinder in EV units* which might easily be converted to aperture/shutter speed to use when in manual exposure mode. The scale is marked top and bottom to show the camera's exposure limits. There is also an ingenious flash automation based where aperture was set based on guide number and focus distance.

The Hi-Matic 9 I got is fully operational and in v. good condition overall. In the photo below, the newcomer is joined by a Yashica Lynx 1000 dating from the early 1960s; purchased about ten years ago and in full working order except for a repairable failure of the aperture linkage.

Lynx...Meet the Hi-Matic

Pentax K-3, XR Rikenon 35/2.8

Steve

* While current usage is to consider EV as a measure of ambient light, the formal usage is simply a scale of integers where each positive step is twice the exposure as the step below and where each step is defined as a combination of shutter speed and aperture where EV 0 is 1 second at f/1.0.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-26-2020 at 11:10 PM.
11-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #21177
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Some of the PB prime lenses are OK, and that 50 is optically identical to a long line of M42 predecessors. They adapt to Canon EF and all of the mirrorless formats easily, I think that most of the ones I sell are adapted to something else. Unfortunately the flange focal distance is shorter than Pentax, so there's not going to be any easy way to mount them so they focus to infinity on PK. But avoid PB zooms like the plague, I don't think I've ever seen one that doesn't have fungus!

I'm not much for manual zooms, so no worries there; the CZJ 55 Macro is an exceptional lens, but this Pentacon 28 is only average so far....
11-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #21178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jome Quote
That's a wonderful price.

How are you finding the 360B? I like mine, but more often than not by the time I want 300mm, I prefer longer.
11-27-2020, 01:03 AM   #21179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Last week I made an impulse purchase on the marketplace of a late 1960s fixed-lens rangefinder, a Minolta Hi-Matic 9. I was not familiar with the model, but the feature set was intriguing, the most interesting being program exposure automation using analog mechanical logic alone. In addition to driving the program mode, the meter provides uncoupled numeric output to the viewfinder in EV units* which might easily be converted to aperture/shutter speed to use when in manual exposure mode. The scale is marked top and bottom to show the camera's exposure limits. There is also an ingenious flash automation based where aperture was set based on guide number and focus distance.

The Hi-Matic 9 I got is fully operational and in v. good condition overall. In the photo below, the newcomer is joined by a Yashica Lynx 1000 dating from the early 1960s; purchased about ten years ago and in full working order except for a repairable failure of the aperture linkage.

Lynx...Meet the Hi-Matic

Pentax K-3, XR Rikenon 35/2.8

Steve

* While current usage is to consider EV as a measure of ambient light, the formal usage is simply a scale of integers where each positive step is twice the exposure as the step below and where each step is defined as a combination of shutter speed and aperture where EV 0 is 1 second at f/1.0.
Oh well don't they look clean! Very nice looking acquisitions there, Steve. Looking forward to seeing some results from them.
11-27-2020, 03:38 AM   #21180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That's a wonderful price.

How are you finding the 360B? I like mine, but more often than not by the time I want 300mm, I prefer longer.
Hello, I just got the 360B this year but haven't use a lot since the confinement. I need to use it before I can tell you. It is my first 300/2.8 lens and I was looking for the P/KA adapter to facilitate my use of this lens since then.