Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #21346
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Does acquiring more Christmas lights on my dash count?
Sadly, my scanner can't read these errors as they're not engine codes, though I know what is happening and the most likely cause of it. Not sure if it's just a "happy" coincidence that this happened right after getting an alignment done or if they somehow broke a wire or something, but I'm guessing one of my front wheel sensors went kaput. Can hear it trying to engage traction control or ABS after first starting the car until it goes and disables both and gives me the "Service StabiliTrak" error on the display. I wouldn't mind that so much if it didn't also disable my AWD, which with the recent snow, is rather nice to have. But seeing this is my first vehicle that has AWD instead of just front wheel drive, I don't think it's too big a deal.

12-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #21347
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I just bought some new Alpine ski boots, a pair of Lange RX 120s. They are last year's model about half off but still not cheap.
I've been meaning to replace my old boots (some 10+ year old Garmonts) and just had a buckle break on me last weekend so the time has come.
I have not skied Lange since my college freestyle team days.
My first ski gear was free. I worked for JanSport, building backpack frames, and JanSport was a division of K2, so I was able to demo new skis. My mom gave me boots and poles for Christmas that year (1975 I think) and she sewed up some ski bibs for me. I skied on those K2 skis for about 30 years (still have them too), and decided to move up to new skis. I bought skis (some shaped twin tips), bindings, poles and boots at a season ending sale, for way more than half off.

If I ever buy gear again, it will be the same way, deeply discounted after season sale.
12-17-2020, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #21348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
My first ski gear was free. I worked for JanSport, building backpack frames, and JanSport was a division of K2, so I was able to demo new skis. My mom gave me boots and poles for Christmas that year (1975 I think) and she sewed up some ski bibs for me. I skied on those K2 skis for about 30 years (still have them too), and decided to move up to new skis. I bought skis (some shaped twin tips), bindings, poles and boots at a season ending sale, for way more than half off.

If I ever buy gear again, it will be the same way, deeply discounted after season sale.
Yeah, as a lifelong skier I usually only buy on sale (or used/swaps/etc). Usually in the summer but the boot just broke so that forced me to act now.
FYI new ski designs are amazing compared to old. Early rise (rocker) was a game changer and like other revolutionary design elements (remember parabolic shapes?) the first few years it got way overdone. But now the dust has settled and early rise tips and tails are a great addition to current designs, especially for deep snow and/or less than ideal snow (crusty, heavy, etc).

Last edited by mattb123; 12-17-2020 at 12:06 PM.
12-17-2020, 12:16 PM - 3 Likes   #21349
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

Vashon Island boy?

I have had two JanSport dome tents and my JanSport frame pack (the one with the super adjustable flexible frame, purchased late 1980s) served me well over thousands of miles in some amazing country, both on and off trail. I loved the lifetime warranty...second tent was free.

I too had a free pair of K2 skis, Winterheat, circa 1973. I skied on those until the late 1990s when I finally tore out an edge courtesy of a rock. How I got them is a long story, but I really did like those skis.

Steve

12-17-2020, 12:31 PM - 2 Likes   #21350
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Many years ago, I picked up both my skis and boots plus a snowboard with step-in bindings and the boots to match at a local ski club here had a swap meet. I haven't been skiing or snowboarding since before kids, so it's getting close to 20 years now. I thought about going out again, but unless someone else is going to buy my lift ticket, I think I'll have to pass for now. My dad's been getting a season pass for the past several years as it costs I think less than a single lift ticket, or it might be 2, for him as he gets the "Super Senior" discount since he's over 70. He still makes it out a half dozen or so times a year. He's actually going either tomorrow morning or afternoon.

While I have done cross-country skiing a time or two in the past, and didn't really like it overly much, I think I'd rather enjoy a pair of backcountry skis. Being able to easily switch from cross-country to downhill to uphill to whatever seems like it'd be rather enjoyable. Especially if I can find/make some nice trails through the woods out back. (All the ATV trails should be good for something right?)
12-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #21351
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Early rise (rocker) was a game changer
I never had a chance to try an early rise ski, but for me it was the Salomon Pocket Rocket that changed my life. I know...not quite recent and they suck on hard ice (require very hard edging), but eat crud and crust like there is no tomorrow and excel in the deep...oh, and the twin tips have proven themselves too.

Steve
12-17-2020, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #21352
Pentaxian

No luck lately two lenses in mail limbo for weeks now and the buyer of the lens I won in an auction last night is refusing to ship saying he wants more money for it. Tough luck mister, I'll let the auction house deal with it.

12-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #21353
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Vashon Island boy?
No, several places in the city of Everett from 1970 to 1995*, rural Stanwood from 1995 to 2004, rural Arlington from 2004 to present.

*This was my folks place, and when I moved out in the late 70’s I kept it as my mailing address. I bounced around a couple places in Everett, then Marysville, and even had a beach house on Tulalip Bay for a few years, before moving back to my parents place after they divorced. Mom got the house and property, remarried and moved in with her second husband, and I took over her place for about 15 years.
12-17-2020, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #21354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never had a chance to try an early rise ski, but for me it was the Salomon Pocket Rocket that changed my life. I know...not quite recent and they suck on hard ice (require very hard edging), but eat crud and crust like there is no tomorrow and excel in the deep...oh, and the twin tips have proven themselves too.

Steve
I haven't found much use for skiing backwards so I'm more into directional designs that don't need to compromise to be bidirectional.
But yeah, that quantum leap you felt when you tried the PRs at first can be experienced again with an early rise ski (that is appropriate for what you ski).
What I think is neat about that design is you can make a ski that is great on groomers and powder by bringing the tips and tails up off the hard snow and keeping traditional camber underfoot. Then when you hit powder they engage and offer flotation and hook-free turns, even in difficult snow. Feels like magic!
12-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #21355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
2 rolls of Bergger Panchro 400 black and white film on their way to me
12-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #21356
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I haven't found much use for skiing backwards
Me neither, where the rear tip come in handy is when banking up onto the backside of drifts...

Dang, I used to have fun on the mountain...lung problems have me sidelined now such that even walking at 6000' has me gasping, even with supplemental O2. I badly miss it. I know, TMI.

Steve
12-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #21357
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
2 rolls of Bergger Panchro 400 black and white film on their way to me
I am looking forward to reading your impressions and seeing the results.

Steve
12-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #21358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vashon Island boy?

I have had two JanSport dome tents and my JanSport frame pack (the one with the super adjustable flexible frame, purchased late 1980s) served me well over thousands of miles in some amazing country, both on and off trail. I loved the lifetime warranty...second tent was free.

I too had a free pair of K2 skis, Winterheat, circa 1973. I skied on those until the late 1990s when I finally tore out an edge courtesy of a rock. How I got them is a long story, but I really did like those skis.

Steve
Love that ad! Incidentally, I'm FB friends with Wayne Wong (freestyler on the right).

When I worked at Crested Butte Mountain Resort I averaged one pair of destroyed skis per year. It's a steep, sharp, and rocky mountain and the older skinnier skis would sink and hit the rocks hard and blow up. Fatter skis and current manufacturing methods seem to make my skis last much longer now. Floating on top causes a lot less rock contact too.
12-17-2020, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #21359
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Love that ad! Incidentally, I'm FB friends with Wayne Wong (freestyler on the right).
Oh, yeah! I remember Wayne Wong from back-in-the-day, Suzy Chaffee too!

On the far left is "Spider" Sabich, former Olympian, World Cup, and World Pro racer. He and Wong were the face of K2 at the time.

Steve

Steve
12-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #21360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am looking forward to reading your impressions and seeing the results.

Steve
Thanks, I haven't found this very affordably till now, it probably won't replace my normal Fomapan, but I'm really interested to try it out myself.