Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2021, 06:30 AM   #21781
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Well, of course, the master system needs to be PTTL. I was just commenting that the AD100Pro can be a TTL slave to any TTL master. That's thanks to Godox's proprietary 2.4GHz protocol. It means you cannot use, say, a Sony flash, or a Metz flash with Sony foot, to remotely drive a Godox flash in wireless TTL, if you want wireless with Godox flashes you need to stay with Godox. Otherwise it's manual optical slave. But considering that one can build a whole Godox studio for the price of one top-of-the-line Sony speedlight, the reasoning is sound.
You might be able to get the Cactus V6II units (Sony ones) to help with some of that hodge-podge of equipment.

01-25-2021, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #21782
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'm impressed with/enjoying the TT Artisan 50mm f1.2 so much, I bought a copy of their 35mm f1.4.....
I'm very tempted but it costs €140 over here and I know it's cheaper in the States. Plus it's only half a stop faster than the 56/1.4 I've just got. Maybe a super-fast 35mm would serve me better for when I want something compact, general-purpose and manual.

Speaking of the 56/1.4, it has just been joined by the Viltrox 23mm f/1.4 which finally arrived today. My initial impressions are very similar to those of the 56: solidly-built, feels great, good AF and sharp in the centre wide open.
01-25-2021, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #21783
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Well, of course, the master system needs to be PTTL...But considering that one can build a whole Godox studio for the price of one top-of-the-line Sony speedlight, the reasoning is sound.
Yep...My comment was just a clarification due to recurring confusion regarding how the Godox magic works. As for the economics, that is what seals the deal. If one needs off-camera TTL features, going Godox is a no-brainer.

Steve
01-25-2021, 11:16 AM - 3 Likes   #21784
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bonus day....

Rec'd my Sigma 18-35 Art, Sigma 35 Art, and Sigma dock. The dock will probably be superfluous (in fact almost certainly is) but only cost me $24 including shipping.

So far only had a chance for a dozen test shots with the 18-35 which was the lens I was unsure about keeping due to a whole buncha AF complaints. This particular one appears to be both quick and accurate, but I also use only single point focus. Most of the complaints I've seen seem to be WRT multipoint AF.

EDIT: Double bonus day: FedX just dropped off my quick-set CheetahStand that replaces my used Adorama knockoff version that lasted perhaps 10 shoots before one of the set screws stripped out. Note to self not to go cheap on certain things.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-25-2021 at 12:06 PM.
01-25-2021, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #21785
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Revolving door on this one...came in on Saturday and goes back today. The offending item? One Impact* Umbrella Mount Bracket (3117)...
...returned due to the woefully, pitifully, inadequate and nasty cold shoe mount on the top (note fixed width) and the tiny set screw used for the umbrella shaft. My Vivitar 283 was the only flash on my shelf able to securely mount and then only because its foot lock is amazing. The Sigma EF610 DG Super actually bumped contacts to the shoe as the flash shifted when the bracket was tilted.

Thank you Amazon Prime for easy returns.

Steve

* Gotta love the brand name for lighting support stands and brackets, eh? In all fairness the above bracket is a very close cousin to the LumoPro 679 strongly recommended on Dave Hobby's Strobist blog's Lighting 101 tutorial. Go figure...
01-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #21786
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
You might be able to get the Cactus V6II units (Sony ones) to help with some of that hodge-podge of equipment.
That's not my personal case just an example.

My hoedgepodge is probably worse...

A PTTL Metz 52 AF-1
3 Manual Godox V850 and a manual trigger (thankfully, works on every brand)
1 Godox TT350s mini flash (Sony mount)
1 Godox AD100Pro
1 X2Ts trigger (Sony mount)

So if I want to use them all, the Metz needs to be in slave mode, the TT350s and AS100Pro also, the trigger for the V850 needs to be mounted over the X2Ts on the hotshoe of the Sony camera.

Or I hold the X2Ts trigger in my hand to set power, set the two Sony-compatible flashes to optical slave, same for the Metz, and trigger everything with the V850's trigger.

Most days I only need 3 flashes, so I'm fine either way
01-25-2021, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #21787
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
a 12mm extension tube between camera and bellows rear standard
The extension tube may be useful for aiding in removal of the unit from the camera mount by moving the rear standard further out from under the horn of the onboard flash (depending on the body in use). Had a nervous moment one time when I couldn't get a bellows off my K20. Figured it out eventually.

01-25-2021, 07:07 PM - 4 Likes   #21788
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been watching eBay for one of these for like two years. They come up a couple of times a year but I missed out every time. I've missed out on the two other lenses as well...This one will need a little clean up, but everything seems to work. I'll need to check how accurate the light meter still is, but this camera was supposed to be in storage for years...One thing I've never seen (except Mike Novak's on MikeEckman.com) is a Ricoh 999...

Name:  _IGP6259.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  163.9 KB

I bought a Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Longar-Xenon 80mm F4, complete with original box, storage container (lens hood), and instructions, from a Goodwill store on eBay. I put it in my watchlist and they sent me an offer...Then I started looking for the 35-80 optical viewfinder. I found one being sold with the Rondenstock Retina-Heligon C 35/5.6 & 80/4. Now I own 2 Retina IIIs with the Scheider-Kreuznach lens, which is why I bought the Longar, but this deal was too good to pass up. So I was going to sell the two Heligon Cs, but then I got bored and started looking for Retina Cs with the Rodenstock lens, they were never imported to the US, so they are pretty rare here. I ended up buying a Retina IIc 020 from a seller in Germany. Hopefully DHL gets it here sometime in the next month, I paid enough for shipping...If I buy a Schneider 35mm I'll probably go for the F4.

Name:  _IGP6260.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  192.3 KB

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-25-2021 at 07:49 PM.
01-26-2021, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #21789
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In all fairness the above bracket is a very close cousin to the LumoPro 679 strongly recommended on Dave Hobby's Strobist blog's Lighting 101 tutorial. Go figure...
As you have partially discovered, sometimes a device - such as a bracket to hold a shoe-mount flash + umbrella on a light stand - develops a certain design, and you cannot get anything different. Sometimes this is just copy-cat, or meeting real or perceived purchaser expectation. Sometimes it's one manufacturer that sells to many companies/distributors that place their own name on precisely the same product. EBAY is a good place to see this phenomenon. Just search for something like "wireless flash trigger" and see how many identical units appear under multiple brand names. And we all know that aftermarket lenses with different brand names may in fact be identical products that trace to a single factory. It doesn't always happen. Tripod ball heads are a relatively simple device = a ball that can be locked or allowed to move within a base that might or might not be able to rotate independently. However, there are many many variations with significant differences in quality and efficacy.

The all-of-them-are-the-same phenomenon can make it difficult to get something better, but I have a flash + umbrella on a stand device of substantially different design, and also substantially inferior performance to the one pictured. I purchased it way back in the Film Era before the design pictured was available.
01-26-2021, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #21790
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
SMU shots!

I realized that I had not taken/posted any shots of the last couple of lenses to arrive....

one severely-damaged CZJ Tessar 50mm f2.8:

how damaged?

but look at all the blades!

The Tessar looks like someone “cleaned” it with 36 grit sandpaper!
01-26-2021, 07:03 AM   #21791
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
The Tessar looks like someone “cleaned” it with 36 grit sandpaper!
I was thinking a wire brush of some sort....
01-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #21792
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Bonus day....

Rec'd my Sigma 18-35 Art, Sigma 35 Art, and Sigma dock. The dock will probably be superfluous (in fact almost certainly is) but only cost me $24 including shipping.

So far only had a chance for a dozen test shots with the 18-35 which was the lens I was unsure about keeping due to a whole buncha AF complaints. This particular one appears to be both quick and accurate, but I also use only single point focus. Most of the complaints I've seen seem to be WRT multipoint AF.

EDIT: Double bonus day: FedX just dropped off my quick-set CheetahStand that replaces my used Adorama knockoff version that lasted perhaps 10 shoots before one of the set screws stripped out. Note to self not to go cheap on certain things.
Your lens haul makes me jealous! Both of those lenses sound extremely interesting to me, and having the dock at so low a cost is added peace of mind. Hope you enjoy them, while I am over here trying to manage my envy.
01-26-2021, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #21793
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I much prefer the color balance of my Metz 50 AF-1 flash to that of the Pentax AF-540 FGZ. When the more powerful Metz 58 AF-2 for Pentax showed up in a best offer/ auction I started to haggle with the seller. Got it for $104 , shipping and 6% tax included. Hopefully it will be in my hands sometime next week.
Attached Images

01-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #21794
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The all-of-them-are-the-same phenomenon can make it difficult to get something better, but I have a flash + umbrella on a stand device of substantially different design, and also substantially inferior performance to the one pictured.
I actually liked the bracket, but was not interested in sourcing a replacement cold shoe (about $7 + shipping) only to have the umbrella screw fail later.

I know...picky, picky, picky...

Steve
01-26-2021, 01:59 PM - 5 Likes   #21795
Pentaxian

DA 70 is in the house...

It handles really great on the P30T... I bet it would look great for landscapes with Ektachrome or Velvia...