Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #21931
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Good luck - please let us know if this works... I have a hazy cemented from group off of an 100/4 Macro myself laying around somewhere.
I chucked a 100/4 Bellows Takumar into a pile of lenses I sold for repairs, due to balsam separation.

02-09-2021, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #21932
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
FYI for those who just wanna make rice on a regular "sauce pan" (do not use this method on nonstick) :

2 cup of rice (wash it if you wish)
~ 2 1/2 cups of water
Salt to taste but abt 1 tbs
I add 1 bay leave + 1 tbs olive oil.

Boil water with salt and oil and bay leave THEN add rice. UNCOVERED. Wait for water to dry (need not be high heat - you know water dries when rice does not bubbles). Once water has "dried" COVER and drop to Low for 15-20 mins.

After 20 mins, uncover and fluff... You have Hispanic white rice... the bottom will likely be all sticky hard rice... try it. you might like that too.
Thanks. Now let me tell you how to do the Brazilian version, which will be quite a bit more loose

If you can't find Brazilian white rice like "Tio João" you can use Basmati, it's a good substitute.

1. Get about 3 cups of water in the microwave to get it to the point where it's almost boiling (you know your microwave and how much it takes... the "old school" method is to have a water pot with hot water always ready and "guesstimate" the amount of water).
2. Heat up a pan with about 3-4 table spoons of oil. Olive oil is best but honestly any oil will work...
3. Sautée some 2-4 cloves of garlic in the oil - smashed with the side of a knife and cut in small pieces
4. Once the garlic is brown, drop 2 cups of rice in the pot. Stir well, you want to get the whole rice oily and you want to "sautée" the rice before adding water. Keep stirring, you don't want the rice to burn.
5. Once that rice is nice and hot, pour salt to taste on the rice.
6. Add the 3 cups of hot water. The rice will be above boiling temperature so it will boil pretty aggressively. Cover and reduce to low heat.
7. Once the top of the rice dried up, turn off the stove but leave the rice covered and resting at least another 5 minutes, 10 is best. It will finish cooking still.
8. Serve! You'll see how it's quite loose and delicious...

Optional step number 5.5 - add a bay leaf. Also - if you use parsley in your cooking (what Brazilian doesn't?) you know you always end up throwing away the stems after you take the leaves off... well, you can throw 1 or 2 stems in the rice when you add the water. It'll give a nice subtle aroma to the rice.
02-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #21933
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I just pulled the trigger on the world's best rice cooker, a foolish purchase to some, but not to anyone with an Asian wife! We buy our rice in 50-pound bags, and there must be cooked rice available at all times. A costly purchase no doubt, but still less than a single one of the Leica-R lenses that I would like to add to my collection.
We got one rather like that for our daughter a few years back. I forget if it was Zojirushi or Tiger, but it has very advanced functionality. In our house we currently use a 25 year old Tiger, mainly for steaming things.
02-09-2021, 01:30 PM - 3 Likes   #21934
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
From Australia, the genuine article.

Accept no substitutes.

02-09-2021, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #21935
Pentaxian

Today I had to buy a new car battery and installation. It got cold, under 0, and the car would not start. Battery is over 8 years so not too much to regret. I was waiting for when, not if.

So much it must be sold by a Viking who wants ALL my money.
02-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #21936
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Today I had to buy a new car battery and installation. It got cold, under 0, and the car would not start. Battery is over 8 years so not too much to regret. I was waiting for when, not if.

Eight years is absolutely astounding for an automotive battery in this century!
02-09-2021, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #21937

To bring lead-acid batteries back from the dead, or to extend their life, desulphate them. Yes, it works. I have 9 cars and 2 tractors, so this is an important tool for me. My carpenter 'borrowed' mine over a year ago, so I just bought a new one. Not the same model as my previous one, but I just purchased this:

333869080928 | eBay

---------- Post added 02-09-21 at 02:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SamirShah Quote
> Does this do what I believe it does? Do I need the as a proud owner of many pre F series MF Pentax lenses (As-Ms-Ks)?

I played with it briefly, and its great. I would say you need it. Makes focusing almost as fast as AF. By habit, I focus manually anyway, and it takes a fraction of a second to get approximate focus, and then the AF converter does the rest. Faster than focusing manually with the split prism of an MX for example, where I still hunt a bit.

Not tried it with flash yet.
I posted these pictures in the Prime, Prime thread. 1.7x + 100f4 macro

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - Page 810 - PentaxForums.com

02-09-2021, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #21938
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I chucked a 100/4 Bellows Takumar into a pile of lenses I sold for repairs, due to balsam separation.
I kept my faulty 100/4 because I do not have a big pile yet to sell for repairs... And, 2 of the broken lenses in the piles, I have a second copy, so I am keeping the spares in case of accidents.

---------- Post added 02-09-21 at 05:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Thanks. Now let me tell you how to do the Brazilian version, which will be quite a bit more loose

If you can't find Brazilian white rice like "Tio João" you can use Basmati, it's a good substitute.

1. Get about 3 cups of water in the microwave to get it to the point where it's almost boiling (you know your microwave and how much it takes... the "old school" method is to have a water pot with hot water always ready and "guesstimate" the amount of water).
2. Heat up a pan with about 3-4 table spoons of oil. Olive oil is best but honestly any oil will work...
3. Sautée some 2-4 cloves of garlic in the oil - smashed with the side of a knife and cut in small pieces
4. Once the garlic is brown, drop 2 cups of rice in the pot. Stir well, you want to get the whole rice oily and you want to "sautée" the rice before adding water. Keep stirring, you don't want the rice to burn.
5. Once that rice is nice and hot, pour salt to taste on the rice.
6. Add the 3 cups of hot water. The rice will be above boiling temperature so it will boil pretty aggressively. Cover and reduce to low heat.
7. Once the top of the rice dried up, turn off the stove but leave the rice covered and resting at least another 5 minutes, 10 is best. It will finish cooking still.
8. Serve! You'll see how it's quite loose and delicious...

Optional step number 5.5 - add a bay leaf. Also - if you use parsley in your cooking (what Brazilian doesn't?) you know you always end up throwing away the stems after you take the leaves off... well, you can throw 1 or 2 stems in the rice when you add the water. It'll give a nice subtle aroma to the rice.

I will try this soon. Seems delicious.
02-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #21939

Another SMC-M 100 F/4 arrived today, to use as a reference when I tear mine apart to repair it (hazy due to glue separation in one of the elements).

Any suggestions for a test subject to determine which lens is better, and for before-after comparisons.

Samir
I posted this in the Prime's thread - reposting here, since we are talking about them.

3 primes in one post: Lens separation of my 2 100 F4's taken with a Vivitar 100mm f3.5 macro. The first file is that of the lens that shot the pictures above, which is going to be taken apart to attempt fixing the glue failure. The second file is of my 'new' lens.

The system wont let me upload the pics, since I've already uploaded them in the other thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/291019-pri...ml#post5208281
02-09-2021, 03:31 PM - 2 Likes   #21940
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

The battery in this car is over 28 years old. I recently pulled the car from storage, charged the battery overnight, and the car started right up.

It will even hold a charge for a couple of weeks.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-09-2021 at 08:31 PM.
02-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #21941
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One year's license and insurance for the Tundra. C$1,020. $1,000,000 liability, Comprehensive, $500 deductible, Roadstar (replacement drivers, etc)
02-09-2021, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #21942
Pentaxian

I thought 8 years was good.

The car has the auto stop when the car stops feature so the battery has done a lot of work.

Last edited by tim60; 02-09-2021 at 09:52 PM.
02-09-2021, 09:49 PM   #21943
Pentaxian

To bring lead-acid batteries back from the dead, or to extend their life, desulphate them. Yes, it works. I have 9 cars and 2 tractors, so this is an important tool for me. My carpenter 'borrowed' mine over a year ago, so I just bought a new one. Not the same model as my previous one, but I just purchased this:

333869080928 | eBay

---------- Post added 02-09-21 at 02:51 PM ----------

I posted these pictures in the Prime, Prime thread. 1.7x + 100f4 macro

prime, prime, everywhere a prime... - Page 810 - PentaxForums.com
I do not have tools or facilities to do work like that, such as a way to dispose of the chemicals.

The work would require disconnecting the battery which would mess with the computers and needing codes to get things working again.
02-09-2021, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #21944
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I do not have tools or facilities to do work like that, such as a way to dispose of the chemicals.

The work would require disconnecting the battery which would mess with the computers and needing codes to get things working again.
Desulphating is a feature of many midrange and higher-end automotive battery chargers. Leave the cables attached, attach the charger, select "Recondition" and walk away for 24 hours.

Steve
02-10-2021, 04:38 AM   #21945
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Like Steve said, the desulphating process doesn't require disconnecting the battery. It also doesn't produce any hazardous wastes the require disposal.

Also, when a battery is replaced, the wires must be disconnected. This has no I'll effects on any of the systems in the vehicle, other than clearing the clock on the instrument panel, and clearing the radio station presets. In fact, some diagnostic procedures use the disconnection of the battery as part of the troubleshooting.