Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2021, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #22081

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
No surprise V-A-V the IQ. Tamron's 90mm macro has been highly regarded since it was first introduced. Ditto for the various incarnations of the 90mm "Bokina." I have the Tokina version, and it holds up to any competition for IQ.
Interesting. I looked these up (tokina and vivitar series 1), they are 2x-3x the price of the Tamron.

I also have a Vivitar 100 F3.5, guess I will be selling that.

02-27-2021, 07:48 PM   #22082
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SamirShah Quote
Interesting. I looked these up (tokina and vivitar series 1), they are 2x-3x the price of the Tamron.

I also have a Vivitar 100 F3.5, guess I will be selling that.
The higher prices for "Bokina" 90mm macros may relate to numbers, as far more Tamron 90mm macros were made and are still being made. Also, if you look at the owner ratings for the Vivitar version here on PF, 12 reviewers give it 9.9 for sharpness and 10.0 for bokeh.
02-28-2021, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #22083
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The bokina

The higher prices for "Bokina" 90mm macros may relate to numbers, as far more Tamron 90mm macros were made and are still being made. Also, if you look at the owner ratings for the Vivitar version here on PF, 12 reviewers give it 9.9 for sharpness and 10.0 for bokeh.
The Tokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5 is one of my top favorite macro lenses. I particularly like its bokeh as well as the "touch and feeling" of this lens. Its provenance and relationship to the Vivitar version is somewhat obscure, though it appears that the two lenses were never manufactured by the same lens producer. I seem vaguely to recall one reviewer stating that the two lenses were, in essence, copies of each other, but I have no idea whether that is true. Here is an interesting review with a comment about the differences in the Tokina, Tamron, and the Vivitar versions of the similar/same optical formula. I have several more expensive macro lenses such as the Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm f 2.0 (a Leitaxed ZF version). It also shows some purple fringing which pretty much disappears when moving from f 2.0 to 2.8. I will be bold to say that the AT-X is the poor man's Zeiss planar, as the Zeiss offers only marginal advantages over the Tokina, is much larger and heavier, and costs 3-4 times as much.

Tokina AT-X Macro 90mm 1:2.5 Review
02-28-2021, 05:19 AM   #22084
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
The Tokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5 is one of my top favorite macro lenses. I particularly like its bokeh as well as the "touch and feeling" of this lens. Its provenance and relationship to the Vivitar version is somewhat obscure, though it appears that the two lenses were never manufactured by the same lens producer. I seem vaguely to recall one reviewer stating that the two lenses were, in essence, copies of each other, but I have no idea whether that is true. Here is an interesting review with a comment about the differences in the Tokina, Tamron, and the Vivitar versions of the similar/same optical formula. I have several more expensive macro lenses such as the Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm f 2.0 (a Leitaxed ZF version). It also shows some purple fringing which pretty much disappears when moving from f 2.0 to 2.8. I will be bold to say that the AT-X is the poor man's Zeiss planar, as the Zeiss offers only marginal advantages over the Tokina, is much larger and heavier, and costs 3-4 times as much.

Tokina AT-X Macro 90mm 1:2.5 Review
I had a Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro in M42 mount prior to switching to K-mount and getting the Tokina version. I always had the impression that the Tokina was a notch better. I also have a Zeiss 100 f2 macro - the newer "Milvus" version. It is a Canon mount attached to MFT bodies via a Metabones "ultra" adapter which gives it a FOV equivalent to about 140mm on FF, but the adapter concentrates light so the effective maximum aperture becomes f1.4. Think of the latter as gaining one shutter speed at each nominal aperture. The adapter also slightly improves IQ, both resolution and contrast. The advantage for me is having auto aperture controlled through the body when the lens is attached to any MFT body which is for me a big advantage over twisting a ring before taking a picture, basically a throwback to preset lenses. The Zeiss is significantly bigger and heavier than the Tokina, but the Zeiss balances better on a tripod because the adapter has a tripod foot.

02-28-2021, 05:53 AM   #22085
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro in M42 mount prior to switching to K-mount and getting the Tokina version. I always had the impression that the Tokina was a notch better. I also have a Zeiss 100 f2 macro - the newer "Milvus" version. It is a Canon mount attached to MFT bodies via a Metabones "ultra" adapter which gives it a FOV equivalent to about 140mm on FF, but the adapter concentrates light so the effective maximum aperture becomes f1.4. Think of the latter as gaining one shutter speed at each nominal aperture. The adapter also slightly improves IQ, both resolution and contrast. The advantage for me is having auto aperture controlled through the body when the lens is attached to any MFT body which is for me a big advantage over twisting a ring before taking a picture, basically a throwback to preset lenses. The Zeiss is significantly bigger and heavier than the Tokina, but the Zeiss balances better on a tripod because the adapter has a tripod foot.
That is interesting. Mine is not Milvus.
03-01-2021, 01:27 AM   #22086
Pentaxian

I would not rely entirely on user reviews. Only a photograph, with the ability to look at the pixels, without deep computer processing, can tell what the lens is capable of.
03-01-2021, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #22087
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Finally had some really nice weather the last couple of days so today I took the 110 lenses and my micro 4/3 camera for a walk. 14mm is very good, 24mm (which would have been the basic kit lens) is OK but not so sharp, especially for distance work. I don't think I'll be keeping them, the tiny size really doesn't make up for their limitations.
I think it's possible to open them up and add a smaller aperture (perhaps with black card) to effectively stop them down, reducing light but improving IQ. Could be worth looking into.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
man that's great n good deal!! mine costed a bit more and is not in nearly in the same looking condition.......really enjoy shooting with it even though it takes the odd 6v (4 lr44) battery......also have a great (i believe) ensemble of lenses (all smc) 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 55/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/3.5.......you may have seen some scans in the :cool ....see your film thread although mostly with expired film

enjoy the kit!
Looks like the ES has a bit of a problem - the mirror and aperture stop-down plate get stuck when firing the shutter. Not always but at least 50% of the time. It's not the mirror bumper as I've already replaced that. The shutter works fine so it wouldn't affect the photo but obviously with the mirror up it would be impossible to frame or focus the following shot. I imagine it's some internal gumming-up. I'll have a look online but I'm not adept at fixing such things.

03-01-2021, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #22088

QuoteOriginally posted by SamirShah Quote
Just got this incredible lens a few days ago - Tamron SP 90mm F2.5 adaptall-2. It came with lens hood and extension ring. Took a few quick shots with it, handheld, that are attached - totally unprocessed except for size reduction of the jpgs.
Just took some more pictures with the Tamron 90mm f2.5. SamirShah's Album: Testing Tamron 90mm f2.5 - PentaxForums.com
03-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #22089
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think it's possible to open them up and add a smaller aperture (perhaps with black card) to effectively stop them down, reducing light but improving IQ. Could be worth looking into.
The last time I had one of these lenses I tried putting a stop behind it, roughly where it would be in the original Pentax 110 - one of the oddities of the design was that the mirror, shutter and aperture were all combined, I think it worked a little like the weird cylindrical shutter on early Exa cameras, but with aperture control managed by varying the width of the shutter opening, or something of the sort. My stop didn't work very well, not much improvement plus there was vignetting at the corners, but that was probably because the adapter I had then was a DIY effort and not very good. If I can get hold of a small iris assembly from a cine lens or something I might investigate the possibility of mounting it in the Pixco adapter I have now. I suspect it would be a swine to adjust though.

i've added pictures of the gear I was using to my flickr album - both cameras, the adapter, one of the teeny lenses on my camera, etc.
03-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #22090
Pentaxian

Looks like the ES has a bit of a problem - the mirror and aperture stop-down plate get stuck when firing the shutter. Not always but at least 50% of the time. It's not the mirror bumper as I've already replaced that. The shutter works fine so it wouldn't affect the photo but obviously with the mirror up it would be impossible to frame or focus the following shot. I imagine it's some internal gumming-up. I'll have a look online but I'm not adept at fixing such things.
that stinks......i had a few problems when i first got mine as well......here's the thread i had on it......the last passage has a link that helped me very lightly oil and resolve the problem.....it's as simple as removing the base plate and place a tiny bit of lube (i used sewing machine oil dispensed by a medical needle).....have not had an issue since and enjoy loading it up with film and snapping away!

pentax ES sticky mirror when lens is set to auto - PentaxForums.com
03-01-2021, 09:32 PM   #22091
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Looks like the ES has a bit of a problem - the mirror and aperture stop-down plate get stuck when firing the shutter. Not always but at least 50% of the time.
What lens are you using with the ES when it does this? What shutter speeds?

Steve
03-02-2021, 04:34 PM - 5 Likes   #22092
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back when I was in financial trouble I sold my K-3. Now that I have a little spending money I've bought myself another from Japan. Just over 10K clicks and it looks brand new. It also shoots like it's brand new.
03-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #22093
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What lens are you using with the ES when it does this? What shutter speeds?

Steve
It seems to be any shutter speed and any lens, so it's definitely the camera. Someone from the UK Pentax forum kindly sent me a link to an online guide to fixing what is apparently quite a common problem in the M42-mount Pentaxes and it doesn't look too difficult. I'm just waiting for some sewing machine oil to arrive from Amazon before I go ahead with it.

In other news, yesterday I received an AF push-pull 70-200mm f/3.8 Sigma which I got for just €17 but it looks like it'll be going back as it doesn't communicate at all with my K-3 - no aperture on the A setting and therefore the camera doesn't even try to AF. It's a shame as it gets good reviews and could be decent for travel, providing a good range and decent max aperture while being compatible with both film and digital. The lens does work as if it were a pre-A lens: in manual mode, manual focus, but of course it doesn't have the joys of using a manual lens as it's AF.
03-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #22094
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A replacement for the cracked glass cover for the LCD screen on the Eos 400D I bought recently. Relatively simple to install, but you have to use a heat gun to warm up the old glass so that the adhesive holding it in softens, and it's a bit worrying - wouldn't want the camera casing or the actual LCD material to melt or distort. Apart from that there was one moment of terror when I nearly stuck the new one into the camera with some protective film still in place underneath, but once I'd sorted that out it was fine. Cost £6.19 including postage but it does seem to be genuine Canon so I can't really complain.
03-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #22095
Veteran Member

I had ordered some Hyperion Flat braided straps to use with the GFX and Xpro, including the wrist and two different lengths. with the quick release. much thicker and more heavy-duty than I expected the wrist strap I will have no compunction on using with the heavy 50R or XH1 and Grip well-made straps

Flat Black Acrylic Strap | Hyperion Handmade Camera Straps