Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2021, 01:56 PM - 4 Likes   #22096
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Brought home our new Flagstaff E-Pro RV trailer. Sleeps three in a pinch. All my wife and I need. The model is the 19FBS. My Nissan Frontier has no problems towing it. I do see that when on the road with it my latest acquisition is going be be gasoline. It has a 190W solar panel on the roof and I have another 120W panel that I can plug into a jack on the side so off grid camping is a nice alternative. Looking into converting over to lithium batteries for it but sticking with AGM for now.

Last edited by gaweidert; 03-05-2021 at 06:41 AM.
03-03-2021, 07:01 PM   #22097
Pentaxian

Fingers crossed, I just bought a Tamron 18-200 3.5-6.3 for my Nikon from Oxfam's web site - for £29.99! Assuming it's OK, I should be able to get rid of an 18-55 I never seem to use, and possibly think about selling off my Tamron 28-300 3.5-63, which really doesn't get much use at the long end, especially since I got a Vivitar 100-500 (manual focus but works well enough). The main reason not to is that it can handle full frame as well as APS-C, and I suppose there's a tiny chance I may want to go that route at some point. Though if I can ever afford something like that I could probably afford to buy something more up to date to go with it, that lens came with my D50 fourteen years ago and it was second hand then, so it really isn't the best reason in the world to keep it...
03-04-2021, 03:44 AM   #22098
Pentaxian

Yesterday I bought a Photek Softlighter II, mainly for the detachable shaft. Pretty nice. Unrelated note, in a thrift shop right after, found pretty nice toss-in-the-car copies of a few of my favourite books. $5 and I walked out with a little mini-library. Ha
03-04-2021, 04:43 AM   #22099
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Brought home out new Flagstaff E-Pro RV trailer. Sleeps three in a pinch. All my wife and I need. The model is the 19FBS. My Nissan Frontier has no problems towing it. I do see that when on the road with it my latest acquisition is going be be gasoline. It has a 190W solar panel on the roof and I have another 120W panel that I can plug into a jack on the side so off grid camping is a nice alternative. Looking into converting over to lithium batteries for it but sticking with AGM for now.
Sounds like fun times ahead. I enjoy getting away in our "caravan". When we got ours I stopped spending on hobby photography stuff and spent on the van for a year or two (not as bad as a boat though I guess).

I really enjoy going on photography trips with it.

03-04-2021, 10:06 AM - 3 Likes   #22100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Sounds like fun times ahead. I enjoy getting away in our "caravan". When we got ours I stopped spending on hobby photography stuff and spent on the van for a year or two (not as bad as a boat though I guess).

I really enjoy going on photography trips with it.
I use a 1981 17 ft (5 m) fifth wheel trailer. It has all the comforts of home except that I cannot use the shower because a previous owner cut the lip out of the shower pan to avoid tripping over it. The trailer doesn't have enough water on board anyway. It cost me C$8,500 in 1992. Right now I'm due to buy another year's insurance and license extension: C$ 75. It's the cat's meow for primitive camp sites on fishing and birding lakes, once we can go out again when COVID goes away. Leaves me the 2002 Tundra to 4 wheel around to the best shooting sites.
03-04-2021, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #22101

Photos: Albums
Found a seller of computer monitors from a business that went under, and went to pick up some Vesa stands. There was a pile of electronic recycling outside the garage, had been in the snow and rain for months. From the pile I snagged 2 Dell i5-4300 Latitude laptops, an Acer monitor, and an Apple Thunderbolt monitor that the kid selling claimed did not work. Laptops both worked, although I screen is a little damaged, and I reinstalled Win10 on them, and ordered more RAM for one of them. Good enough for Radio Paradise listening and posting on PF. The Acer monitor has water inside the screen, works, but shows bubbles, like an old screen saver. I'm leaving it on, hoping the heat will dry out the water. The Apple Thunderbolt monitor works just fine after being out in the elements for 6 months - its well sealed! These should fund a few more lenses!
03-04-2021, 01:44 PM - 3 Likes   #22102

Sig 18-250 OS HSM
Interesting tourist lens, review added.

03-04-2021, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #22103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brought home out new Flagstaff E-Pro RV trailer. Sleeps three in a pinch. All my wife and I need. The model is the 19FBS. My Nissan Frontier has no problems towing it. I do see that when on the road with it my latest acquisition is going be be gasoline. It has a 190W solar panel on the roof and I have another 120W panel that I can plug into a jack on the side so off grid camping is a nice alternative. Looking into converting over to lithium batteries for it but sticking with AGM for now.
Sounds like fun. I'd like to get a less plush but more mobile truck topper camper for my Tacoma that I can still 4x4 with and get to the remote places I prefer that most trailers couldn't make it to.
I was hoping to get one last fall but some other expenses came up and that postponed it. Maybe this year.
03-04-2021, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #22104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Sounds like fun. I'd like to get a less plush but more mobile truck topper camper for my Tacoma that I can still 4x4 with and get to the remote places I prefer that most trailers couldn't make it to.
I was hoping to get one last fall but some other expenses came up and that postponed it. Maybe this year.
This unit has been lifted 3 1/3 inches and has a Torqflex axle which does provide limited independent suspension capabilities. The tires are 15" and nitrogen filled. The bush campers like those used in Australia are beasts, but come with a pretty hefty price tag.
03-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #22105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This unit has been lifted 3 1/3 inches and has a Torqflex axle which does provide limited independent suspension capabilities. The tires are 15" and nitrogen filled. The bush campers like those used in Australia are beasts, but come with a pretty hefty price tag.
Right. I'm also pretty cheap frugal.
But that sounds nice although something like the White Rim Trail in SE Utah might still be too much for just about any trailer. Definitely any I could afford.
03-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #22106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Right. I'm also pretty cheap frugal.
But that sounds nice although something like the White Rim Trail in SE Utah might still be too much for just about any trailer. Definitely any I could afford.
Plenty of photos of pickup trucks pulling trailers down those trails. Bent frames truck are a real problem doing that.
03-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #22107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plenty of photos of pickup trucks pulling trailers down those trails. Bent frames truck are a real problem doing that.
I don't doubt it's possible although I don't recall ever seeing one besides some of those small high clearance cube shaped ones in the dozen or so trips I have made around that loop. I wouldn't want to do it with a trailer; it's a pretty rough trail.
03-05-2021, 04:39 AM - 2 Likes   #22108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few months ago I acquired a cheap SFXn, partly just for fun but also to test the DA 40mm and 70mm lenses for use on a possible future K1. The SFXn is big, clunky, and noisy, but fun and comfortable to use and proved to me that these DA lenses work fine on film or FF. The decision on the K1 still remains unresolved, but I am now expecting a P30n to use with these 2 lenses. £40 in apparently mint nick. Honestly, I am surprised that this will be my first ever P30 line camera, as I have always liked them since they came out and my brother-in-law had one in 1990.
03-05-2021, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #22109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I almost got this for minimum bid of $140, but a new bidder hit with thirty seconds remaining in the auction. I got it for $3 less than my $161 maximum bid. Not sure if I actually need this for any reason, but at least I can finally play around with one. I’ve bid on several over the years, all sold for at least $190.
Attached Images

Last edited by steamloco76; 03-05-2021 at 03:08 PM.
03-05-2021, 09:00 AM   #22110

Photos: Albums
I love mine. I paid $190+shipping+tax, so slightly over $200.