Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20312 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2021, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #22126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For the 150-450 & 55-300 PLM. Getting ready for the K-3 III...

Name:  _IGP6282.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  138.5 KB

For adapting manual focus lenses. I should be getting F, FD, AR, PK, & Exa adapters on Tuesday. The AX & DKL adapters have an estimate of March 26 - April 11 Still need a few more C/Y, MD, OM etc.

Name:  _IGP6283.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  156.9 KB

Another one I paid too much for on Shopgoodwill. I only paid for it after an eBay sale fell through, "Fell from a shelf and got smashed"...It should clean up ok.

Name:  _IGP6284.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  181.0 KB

03-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #22127
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Another one I paid too much for on Shopgoodwill.
Yay! Original version Nikkorex, sibling to the F-mount Singlex, first commercial use of the legendary Copal "square" vertical metal shutter. I have seen and handled the Singlex, but never the Nikkorex.

Steve
03-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #22128

Photos: Albums
Can't help myself. Picked up a Super Program (works perfectly, 8/10), M-50 2.0 (a little fungus); A-50 2.0 (broken, focus ring jammed from fall), Tamron SP 90 f2.5 (a little fungus does not seem to impact), Underground 28 f2.8 macro lens made in Japan (what is this?), ME Winder II, AF200 flash, about 10 filters, all for $70 and 2.5 hours of driving and gas. I wanted the Super Program and the second Tamron 90, so it was worth the drive for me. For a change, the smart owner had stored everything without the batteries.

On the flip side, the "good condition" ebay K-5 and DA* lens turned out to be garbage/scam, and I'm returning it. The diopter adjustment slider was broken, and the pictured DA* 16-50 lens was not sent, instead a 18-55 kit lens arrived.

The SMC-F 1.7x AF adapter + the Tamron SP 90mm is killer! The KP will work even in TAV mode with the AF adapter.

Samir.
03-07-2021, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #22129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yay! Original version Nikkorex, sibling to the F-mount Singlex, first commercial use of the legendary Copal "square" vertical metal shutter. I have seen and handled the Singlex, but never the Nikkorex.

Steve
The Nikkorex is pretty common compared to the Singlex, and the lenses will work on other F mount cameras

The lens is what made the auction go too high, and it isn't even one of the desirable ones. The 1959 "Tick Mark" version sells for hundreds of dollars, there were only like 5000 made. There were then 3 different versions that still had 9 aperture blades, then 3 versions with 6 aperture blades. This one is the last version probably made in 1963.The Nikkor-H came out in 1964.

03-07-2021, 02:54 PM - 2 Likes   #22130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My previously mentioned 1981 17 ft (5.2 m) 5th wheel was raised 10.5 in (26 cm) when I upgraded from a 2 wheel drive 1990 pickup to the Tundra. With its 15" wheels it gives me a good 15 in clearance under the axles which are the lowest point in the trailer chassis. The Tundra clearance is 9.25 in (23.5 cm). I have yet to ind a place I cannot get into as long as the road has at least been bulldozed.
My 4x4 adventures are usually just to get to another adventure (river running, mountain bike, mountaineering, etc) so I'm probably not as good as a lot of people are who do more 4x4 for its own enjoyment. There are also tight turns and big drops that I'd just rather have a more nimble setup for. It also really changes if it rains which doesn't happen a lot but makes the road all greasy.
Here's a random youtube clip of one of the bigger climbs. I usually ride a bike up this which is pretty challenging but I'd rather do that than pull a 5th wheel.
03-07-2021, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #22131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote

I think you're both missing the bit where I said I must stop buying stuff.

Ok, Ok, the 70 is on my list at some point, I'm not admitting to anything else though.
There is a huge difference between must stop and have stopped
03-07-2021, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #22132
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
. . .
I think you're both missing the bit where I said I must stop buying stuff.. . . Ok, Ok, the 70 is on my list at some point, I'm not admitting to anything else though.
QuoteOriginally posted by SamirShah Quote
> I now must stop buying stuff, I now must stop buying stuff, I now must stop buying stuff....
Haha. I keep telling myself this. And then I bought a K5 with DA* 16-50 lens (that I already have).

Samir
Really you need to buy this ________

and I happen to be selling one

[ this is meant as a joke ]

03-07-2021, 06:18 PM   #22133
Pentaxian

Bought an FLIR thermal imaging camera for my iPhone from CEX today - should get it some time next week. It's the first generation version and fairly low resolution which is why I can afford it. The way they're designed they overlay the colour onto a 640x480 image made with a built-in visual light camera - what I'm hoping is that it will be possible to do the same thing with a much larger DSLR image if I take a picture covering the same area. There may already be software for this. It's very much an "I don't know if this will be interesting enough to throw real money at it" thing - If I get results that look promising I'll look at higher resolution.

And tonight I sold off my faulty Eos 400D and the faulty 50mm lens that came with the replacement, making just over £50, which is almost exactly what I paid for the new one plus the replacement glass screen cover I got for it after eBay charges. Breaking even is very good news.
03-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #22134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
For the 150-450 & 55-300 PLM. Getting ready for the K-3 III...

Attachment 527475

For adapting manual focus lenses. I should be getting F, FD, AR, PK, & Exa adapters on Tuesday. The AX & DKL adapters have an estimate of March 26 - April 11 Still need a few more C/Y, MD, OM etc.
Don't know the camera, but it looks like the design will avoid the big problem I encountered with Exa/Exakta adapters on Canon Eos - the first adapter I bought was designed so that the lens sat with the distance scale upward, which was fine for an all manual lens. Unfortunately, when you tried to put on an Exacta lens with the side housing for auto stopdown it fouled against the protruding front of the flash. It could actually jam on the camera if you weren't careful. I had to buy a different adapter that had two locking points for lenses, the second one offset by I think 90 degrees so that the distance scale was off to the right and the stop-down button for the lens was near the hand grip of the camera and didn't foul on anything. A very nice solution - but I've only had one Exakta lens through my hands in the three years or so since I bought the thing!
03-08-2021, 03:09 AM   #22135

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
If anyone in the UK is after one of these, there's currently one with PK mount on Oxfam's web site for £50 plus delivery which is well below current eBay prices - The pictures aren't as clear as I would like, but they'll take returns if you don't like the condition

https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/tamron-sp-90mm-lens/product/HD_300119350?sku=HD_300119350
You just had to show me that!

So I now have two SP90's on the way so let's see what turns up.
03-08-2021, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #22136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
There's another small gap between the 40mm and the 70mm. I filled it with the plastic fantastic 50mm f1.8 thanks to a recommendation from @BigMacCam and wow, it is spectacular for such a cheap lens. Add it to the list
Yep, the little 50/1.8 is a great lens.

An update on the ES from a few pages back - thanks to a little online tutorial I opened up the bottom and lubricated what was sticking and now the mechanism works perfectly. A battery arrived for it too and the electronic all seem good. I've still to replace the light seals but once done I'll have a fully working ES is great condition. Yay!
03-08-2021, 04:08 AM - 2 Likes   #22137
Pentaxian

I replaced a ten year old generic ball head that weighs 400gms and is 10cm high with this new low profile one. The old one was making a bit of a scritching noise around the ball as it was adjusted and had that 2-3mm droop when adjustment was finished - not an issue for landscapes but hopeless for macro work. The new one weighs about a third the weight and stands only 7cm high so is much better for travel. The total weight with momon tripod is less than the previous ball head alone. Very happy.

Product is a Sunway Foto XB-28 II series low profile ball head. Reading the manual helps. If the little turn handle fouls on the base of the camera when adjusting pull the handle out - reposition and twist again so like a ratchet spanner sort of. Very cool.
MaXie is getting new leather clothes. Please pardon the undressed state.

03-08-2021, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #22138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Don't know the camera, but it looks like the design will avoid the big problem I encountered with Exa/Exakta adapters on Canon Eos - the first adapter I bought was designed so that the lens sat with the distance scale upward, which was fine for an all manual lens. Unfortunately, when you tried to put on an Exacta lens with the side housing for auto stopdown it fouled against the protruding front of the flash. It could actually jam on the camera if you weren't careful. I had to buy a different adapter that had two locking points for lenses, the second one offset by I think 90 degrees so that the distance scale was off to the right and the stop-down button for the lens was near the hand grip of the camera and didn't foul on anything. A very nice solution - but I've only had one Exakta lens through my hands in the three years or so since I bought the thing!
I only have one Exa lens with the stop down / shutter arm, a CZJ Tessar 50/2.8. I also have a Mamiya/Sekor from a Tower 37 that has a different style stop down / shutter arm, opposite side. But this adapter is for my RE.Auto-Topcor 58/1.4 which doesn't have an arm.
03-08-2021, 06:06 AM   #22139
Pentaxian

Minor spending spree lately:
- Ulanzi VL49 RGB (x2) from China. Both arrived unscathed with a total time from order to delivery of 7 days. Was an excellent experience, truthfully. They've inbuilt batteries, the range is good for the colours and the brightness of more than adequate for me. Covering also cool to warm white light, very easy to use and have a handy feature of both a cold-shoe mount and magnetic back so can be 'stuck' to metal objects too. Cost less for the two from China (£25) than it would've for one from UK (£32 from Amazon).
- Manfrotto Noreg Messenger 30 satchel bag. Has a nice detachable laptop case, access from the top, a rain cover, separate little satchel inside and everything feels well put-together. Cost me just under £30 posted. A tidy saving vs. RRP.
03-09-2021, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #22140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TT Artisans 50mm f1.2 in Fuji X mount. I am intrigued by this lens and the 35mm f1.4. They seem to have good reviews and importantly for me I like the position of the aperture ring and the fact it is clicked. Also it appears there is a hard stop at infinity. If the 50mm turns out fine (as good as or better than my Meike 50mm f1.7) the 35mm will surely follow!