Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20314 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2021, 11:02 AM - 2 Likes   #22246
Veteran Member

I got this SF1 for free from one of my Dad's friends, it was sitting in his garage for the past 20 years or so. It came with an SMC-F 35-135 but, unfortunately, the front element is busted (Either fungus or weird lens delamination, I'm unsure)
I will try to get a 2CR5 as soon as possible and try it with my SMC-A 50/2 :-)

03-29-2021, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #22247
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My newest acquisition has been dropped off for shipment today and should be here by the end of the week! A mint DA 18-55mm WR lens that I picked up from an ebay listing from Roberts Camera. This will pair nicely with my DA 50-200mm WR lens I picked up last summer. Though I am questioning myself if I should have picked up the DA 18-135mm WR instead for a walk-around lens. Maybe next time. (And if I do pick that one up, it lets me pair the 18-55 & 50-200 lenses with the K-7 if the kids want to borrow it.)
03-29-2021, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #22248
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote

In happier news I've picked up a very nice clean 50/2.8 Pentax 110 lens for £18.90 including postage, which will let me continue my project of trying as many as possible of these lenses on Micro 4/3. The other one I'd really like to try is the 70mm telephoto, but that's SERIOUS money. I won't worry too much about testing the zooms unless they come my way. I was going to take the 50mm out to the park today but it decided to rain so it's going to have to wait.
Just bought a very nice adapter with a working iris. It's made by a german guy who conceived a (partially) 3D printed adapter, made with very good material and working a treat.
Finally I can use all my Pentax-110 lenses on a m4/3 camera. For now I started with an old 12 megapixel Olympus E-PL3, but I want to try it on my Panasonic GX-8. Unfortunately the bayonet is a touch tight on the Panny, so I prefer to use the Olympus for now.
I have all the Pentax-110 lenses, but one (the pan focus without focusing ring). Just before buying the adapter I had found on Ebay a second body, a second 24mm "normal", and finally the much desired 70mm. All in the same lot, for a very decent price. I even got two batteries... checked the camera and found it's perfectly working
For now, the most liked is the 50mm, second comes the 70mm, then the 18mm and last the 24mm. I still have to try the 20-40mm zoom.
All are decent performers wide open, but shine the most stopped down 1 stop. The two longer focals show no vignetting on m4/3. Unfortunately the diaphragm doesn't help with coverage because it's placed immediately behind the lens, both on the adapter and on the original camera. The 70mm and 50mm might even cover APS-C (or mostly cover..). The maker of the m4/3 adapter also made a few others with Sony mount, so I guess it's worth trying if you happen to own a NEX.
As soon as I have amassed a good number of decent pictures with all the five lenses I will post a review on this forum. The results are very promising so far.

Cheers
Paolo
03-29-2021, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #22249
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Just bought a very nice adapter with a working iris. It's made by a german guy who conceived a (partially) 3D printed adapter, made with very good material and working a treat.
Finally I can use all my Pentax-110 lenses on a m4/3 camera. For now I started with an old 12 megapixel Olympus E-PL3, but I want to try it on my Panasonic GX-8. Unfortunately the bayonet is a touch tight on the Panny, so I prefer to use the Olympus for now.
I have all the Pentax-110 lenses, but one (the pan focus without focusing ring). Just before buying the adapter I had found on Ebay a second body, a second 24mm "normal", and finally the much desired 70mm. All in the same lot, for a very decent price. I even got two batteries... checked the camera and found it's perfectly working
For now, the most liked is the 50mm, second comes the 70mm, then the 18mm and last the 24mm. I still have to try the 20-40mm zoom.
All are decent performers wide open, but shine the most stopped down 1 stop. The two longer focals show no vignetting on m4/3. Unfortunately the diaphragm doesn't help with coverage because it's placed immediately behind the lens, both on the adapter and on the original camera. The 70mm and 50mm might even cover APS-C (or mostly cover..). The maker of the m4/3 adapter also made a few others with Sony mount, so I guess it's worth trying if you happen to own a NEX.
As soon as I have amassed a good number of decent pictures with all the five lenses I will post a review on this forum. The results are very promising so far.

Cheers
Paolo
Talking of 3D printers, I wanted a rear cap for the 50mm lens and went looking on line. The cheapest price on eBay was £5.49 each (£4.04 each for 4 or more) for something about the size of a couple of 10p coins stacked together. So I looked into a bit, and it turned out that you can download a template with a Creative Commons license free. And when I mentioned this, a friend who turns out to have a 3D printer offered to run off a few for me - one to use plus spares for any lenses I acquire later. His estimate of costs is 37p per cap..

I'd love to know more about the adapter with iris. Is it possible to order them?

03-30-2021, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #22250
Pentaxian

Just received a VERY nice job lot of lenses that included a nice clean Canon New FD 50/1.8, a Jessop x2 converter for Pentax K-AF (even has the 2 extra pins pins for power zoom lenses!), a Tessar 50/2.8 in M42 mount (not the zebra one unfortunately), and a nice clean Hanimex 70-200/4.5 for FD that appears to be parfocal. Also some less desirable stuff e.g. a very heavy 70-150 for Minolta MD that doesn't appear to do anything special, a Praktica PB teleconverter, and some add-on wide, telephoto, and manual converters in various screw-on fittings. Paid £34.95 including postage which should be profitable.

Later - spoke too soon - the Tessar looks OK superficially but won't focus an image, looks like one of the lens elements is missing. I'll have to sell it for spares and repairs. The rest of the lot is fine so I'll still come out ahead - I think I sold my last Canon 50 1.8 for most of what this lot cost me - but not quite as far ahead as I'd hoped.

More later - the Pentax fit teleconverter is Quantaray, not Jessop - my bad, I have two Nikon-fit Jessop converters that look identical and probably come from the same factory, and somehow I got it into my head that it was Jessop.

Also received a small error which will need some explaining:

The Sony A100 I use to test Minolta AF lenses isn't very good, the prism, mirror or sensor is slightly out of vertical alignment and I often end up with images showing too much at the bottom and the top cut off unless I remember to compensate, so I've been looking for a replacement. A dealer I've had good experience with had an A200, untested because there was no battery. So like an idiot I looked at adverts on eBay and the first two I checked said it was the same battery as the A100, so I thought I'd take a chance and offer £30 for it, and sell it on for whatever I could get if it doesn't work. Needless to say, the camera arrived today and looks very nice - but my battery doesn't fit, the 200 and later bodies use a different one and the advertisers had it wrong! So I've had to spend another £17.44 for a battery from the USA and a charger from Germany (UK sources would add about another tenner). If the camera doesn't work I'll sell them on too. I could have decided to cut my losses instead but I'm stubborn that way.

If everything does work I will then have to try to sell on a slightly faulty A100, but that does work apart from the alignment problem so hopefully someone will be interested.

Last edited by Marcus Rowland; 03-30-2021 at 02:03 PM.
03-30-2021, 08:50 AM - 3 Likes   #22251
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one SMC A50mm f1.2 on the way...
03-31-2021, 03:28 AM   #22252
Pentaxian

New leatherette from Hugo Studio for my silver MX. Very satisfied - fit to body was perfect to micromillimeter.

Show and tell here: Red Max post #41

03-31-2021, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #22253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
one SMC A50mm f1.2 on the way...
Could it be the one lens that makes you finally enjoy a 50mm, or will it go up for sale after the Single challenge? We'll see
03-31-2021, 07:47 AM - 4 Likes   #22254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Talking of 3D printers...

The other day I asked my daughter what she'd make if she had a 3-D printer.
Without hesitation she replied "A 3-D printer." Bloody brilliant, no?

And now you know which side of the family she gets her sense of humor from...

Chris
03-31-2021, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #22255
Pentaxian

My *ist DL arrived yesterday. I tested it today and it's good to go. So that makes me a member of the six megapixel CCD cult club. Now to order an infrared filter to go with it.
03-31-2021, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #22256
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Could it be the one lens that makes you finally enjoy a 50mm, or will it go up for sale after the Single challenge? We'll see
funny thing, this month for the SIC, I'll be using a 50mm - the A50/2.8 macro....
03-31-2021, 10:59 AM   #22257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A couple of FA primes from the Marketplace:
  • FA 20mm f/2.8
  • FA 50mm f/1.7

I am missing a 35mm, and a 77mm. Or should I go for a 85mm? What's your advice?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
03-31-2021, 02:11 PM   #22258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote

Are you saying this adapter gives you aperture control on these otherwise fixed 2.8 lenses? If so I’d be interested to see what the adapter looks like. I too have the entire collection of Auto 110 lenses and tried them on my Lumix GH3. I was just never particularly impressed. I had thought about getting an aperture disk set or trying the paper hole reinforcing stickers to see what happens when the lens can be stopped down but never got around to it.
I’d be very interested to see some comparisons of wide open vs stopped down images. Let us know what you think after you get a chance to try it out more.
03-31-2021, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #22259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just installed the fixin's to upgrade my peecee... now running Intel Core i7-10700K and 64GB RAM.
03-31-2021, 04:26 PM   #22260
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
A Vivitar telephoto with AF? Thats a new one, all the Vivitar prime lenses Ive seen all have been manual focus, suprised to see one with AF. The 200mm is most likely is this one: Vivitar 200mm Battery Powered Autofocus. Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
QuoteOriginally posted by moggi1964 Quote
Yup! I think that is the one. It'll be interesting to have a look at it in operation. Actually I just discovered the lens was made by Cosina and my particular one was made in the 51st week of 1984. It uses three AAA batteries.

I suspect the Cosina isn't a lot different.

This is certainly a learning experience for me. I missed all this stuff back in the 80's.
actually it was my first " autofocus " lens [ autofocus in the lens ]

practically gave it away a few years ago

wish I kept it, since I am now dabbling with SLR cameras