Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
My man... that's some Clockwork's Orange thing right there...... Hahaha
04-07-2021, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #22293
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by degral Quote
Just arrived NOS Marker M48 Racing bindings. Vintage 1990. Will be mounting them on my never used Dynastar S9 Coupe slalom skis for use next year.
I had those. I think I had them on some Rossi 4Ms to start and kept them through a few pairs of skis back when I'd break a pair every season or two.
Pretty reliable as I recall.
04-08-2021, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #22294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I had those. I think I had them on some Rossi 4Ms to start and kept them through a few pairs of skis back when I'd break a pair every season or two.
Pretty reliable as I recall.
I lusted after these when I was in my 30s but they were way out of my price range. I never was able to find one during the annual Sniagrab sale at Gart Brothers. These still had the Christy Sports price of $288. That's 1990 dollars. Definitely all the cool guys had the MR or MRR with Rotamat heel. Saw a few of your videos. You are definitely a more accomplished skier than me. My only three trips this year I stuck to groomers as I am way out of shape and practice. I must really look like a dinosaur because my style is the skis together technique of the 70s!

04-08-2021, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #22295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by degral Quote
I lusted after these when I was in my 30s but they were way out of my price range. I never was able to find one during the annual Sniagrab sale at Gart Brothers. These still had the Christy Sports price of $288. That's 1990 dollars. Definitely all the cool guys had the MR or MRR with Rotamat heel. Saw a few of your videos. You are definitely a more accomplished skier than me. My only three trips this year I stuck to groomers as I am way out of shape and practice. I must really look like a dinosaur because my style is the skis together technique of the 70s!
I had those MRRs too. On some Atomic GS 207cm "Red Sleds" But your friends can release them with a pole jab so they are vulnerable to shinenagians.
Those were my glory days in college, new to Western skiing and Crested Butte and loving it. After school I wound up working at the CB IT department for 7 years.
In college I was a freestyle team competitor (moguls) and then after graduation working at the ski area I had access to pro deals through it all so I never paid retail for any of this stuff. That was always a nice perk.
I still try to get after it as I can but I don't have those 100+ day a year seasons anymore. That's ok though, I try to concentrate more on quality than quantity now but keeping the quantity up enough to stay fit enough for the quality days.
04-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #22296
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I picked up a brand new USA Gear S17 camera bag. It's a big step up from my previous Amazon Basics bag. Much sturdier construction and seems to have a bit more padding. It also fits on my back properly and more securely. The color scheme is nice too, I got the version with the purple trim/interior though it comes in several other colors. It's still a generic brand and probably not as high quality as some other bags, but so far I'm happy with it. I took a few of the Velcro pieces from the Amazon bag to subdivide the lens area a bit more and am able to carry more lenses than I probably should be... lol (I have it loaded with my K5 IIs with battery grip and DA 18-55 WR attached, A-50, Tokina 28, Tamron 28-300, F 35-80, DA 50-200 WR, and F 100-300. I really need to stop carrying so many all the time, especially since there's a ton of overlap.)
04-10-2021, 06:43 PM - 2 Likes   #22297
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Convenient oil change device

I still do my regular calisthenics and 3-mile run, but at the age of 81 I am tending to relax a little more than before. Now I have found a convenient device to simplify changing the oil in my car and pickup truck. This device replaces the regular drain plug. The new plug is not removed when you drain your oil, and instead you just turn a valve and the oil cascades down into your oil drain pan. Flip the valve back to the closed position, change your filter, and refill your crankcase with new oil and you are good to go. No more hot greasy oil plug to deal with. That is all.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-10-2021, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #22298
Pentaxian

Received the battery for the Sony A200 I picked up recently. Unfortunately it turns out that the screen is completely borked. It's apparently a fairly simple repair if you know what you're doing, but the on-line material showing how to get inside is pretty useless, and I really don't feel inclined to spend another £20+ for the panel when I can't be sure there aren't other problems - I've shot some pictures with it and that side of things works OK, but I obviously can't access the menus etc. or see if the picture I just took is any good. So my plan at the moment is to sell off the body for whatever I can get, being honest about its condition rather than selling it as untested / no warranty means I'll probably lose money, but so it goes.
04-11-2021, 01:35 AM - 2 Likes   #22299
Pentaxian

A cordless jig saw for woodworking projects.
04-11-2021, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #22300
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
Received the battery for the Sony A200 I picked up recently. Unfortunately it turns out that the screen is completely borked. It's apparently a fairly simple repair if you know what you're doing, but the on-line material showing how to get inside is pretty useless, and I really don't feel inclined to spend another £20+ for the panel when I can't be sure there aren't other problems - I've shot some pictures with it and that side of things works OK, but I obviously can't access the menus etc. or see if the picture I just took is any good. So my plan at the moment is to sell off the body for whatever I can get, being honest about its condition rather than selling it as untested / no warranty means I'll probably lose money, but so it goes.
That camera gives you the film experience. Shoot, trust it is OK, and find out what you got sometime later.
04-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #22301
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I still do my regular calisthenics and 3-mile run, but at the age of 81 I am tending to relax a little more than before. Now I have found a convenient device to simplify changing the oil in my car and pickup truck. This device replaces the regular drain plug. The new plug is not removed when you drain your oil, and instead you just turn a valve and the oil cascades down into your oil drain pan. Flip the valve back to the closed position, change your filter, and refill your crankcase with new oil and you are good to go. No more hot greasy oil plug to deal with. That is all.
I have heard good things about that device. Of course one must always remember to flip it closed, after you drain the oil.

Some things I do, after each oil change is to check the dipstick, before starting the engine up, look underneath to see if the sump plug has been tightened and no oil is draining and after start up, drive the car about 10-20 feet away, flip the hood and look at the oil filter to make sure it has been tightened sufficiently and no oil is coming out of there.

Some may think me, overly cautious, but over the years loose/ not fitted oil pan plugs and untightened oil filters have almost caused me grief in my almost 60 years of vehicle ownership/driving.
04-11-2021, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #22302
Pentaxian

Do you know if that drain plug has a brandname as I'd like to get something similar for one of our cars?

---------- Post added 04-11-21 at 05:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Some things I do, after each oil change is to check the dipstick, before starting the engine up, look underneath to see if the sump plug has been tightened and no oil is draining and after start up, drive the car about 10-20 feet away, flip the hood and look at the oil filter to make sure it has been tightened sufficiently and no oil is coming out of there.
I do something similar (as would any "sensible" person)

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Some may think me, overly cautious, but over the years loose/ not fitted oil pan plugs and untightened oil filters have almost caused me grief in my almost 60 years of vehicle ownership/driving.
Same here - worst case was just over 25 yrs ago -> Sunday morning, change oil & filter before going off to see my Mother about 60 miles away, drove 40 miles and had to stop for fuel and then went to the pay booth -> back to the car, only to see a pool of oil under the sump!

Short story: must have forgotten to tighten the sump plug and luckily had that fuel stop around 15 miles from my destination, so tightened the plug, topped up the oil = no damage to the engine. OTOH, if I hadn't had that fuel stop.........!

Last edited by jeallen01; 04-11-2021 at 09:34 AM.
04-11-2021, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #22303
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Do you know if that drain plug has a brandname as I'd like to get something similar for one of our cars?

Same here - worst case was just over 25 yrs ago -> Sunday morning, change oil & filter before going off to see my Mother about 60 miles away, drove 40 miles and had to stop for fuel and then went to the pay booth -> back to the car, only to see a pool of oil under the sump!

Short story: must have forgotten to tighten the sump plug and luckily had that fuel stop around 15 miles from my destination, so tightened the plug, topped up the oil = no damage to the engine. OTOH, if I hadn't had that fuel stop.........!
All good ideas lesmore. Nowadays my memory fails me so it is always a good idea to double check. When I used to fly an airplane, there was a list of things to check as you circled around the plane and checked everything because there are no pullover lanes in the sky!

For those interested in this handy dandy device, here is a URL: EZ Oil Drain Valve- The Easiest Oil Change! - Home

I am just a customer, no stock in this outfit!
04-11-2021, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #22304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote

I know what you mean.

My first car was a '61 VW Beetle (Type 1 Deluxe) in the late '60's. I was going to be going on a trip so I dropped by a small gas station and had them change the oil, filter, grease job. I was about 5 miles away and I was driving through a tight S bend set of curves and I always liked to moderately quickly go through a curvy road. I noticed my red oil light came on as I pushed the VW through the corner....the car would always roll and lean a bit and I pulled it over, turned off the engine. The dipstick indicated the oil was just above the add level...and I noticed that the inside of the hood (bonnet) was covered in oil. They had left off the oil cap, after filling the crankcase with oil. I had a bottle of oil, topped it off, fashioned a cover made of part of an towel (I used for a shop rag and tied the towel around the oil filler tube with a string.

I got it back to the station, and the mechanic somewhat redfaced apologized, said he had forgotten to put the metal oil cap back on, topped up the oil, we both listened to the engine and it sounded fine. Fortunately.

I forgot to mention in my original post...that is another thing I always check after an oil change....after that experience so many years ago.... is the oil cap firmly on !
04-11-2021, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #22305
Pentaxian

All good ideas lesmore. Nowadays my memory fails me so it is always a good idea to double check. When I used to fly an airplane, there was a list of things to check as you circled around the plane and checked everything because there are no pullover lanes in the sky!
I've never had a pilot's license, but I have often thought how an airplane has to be functioning well....for the reason you say...there are no pullover lanes in the sky !

The pilot's checklist is of course a necessary before flying. I also do a bit of a check before I drive our vehicle in the morning. Since buying our big Buick sedan, new in 2007...our vehicles have come with electronic devices that monitor and tell me how some of the vehicle operations are working. One I find of particular value is the air pressure monitor system. Since we bought that Buick, every vehicle, save one, I've been able to check the psi of the tires with just a push of a button.

I check them cold, before driving, to make sure that are at factory recommended levels and also on a long trip in the hot summer, to see how they are doing re; heat expansion of psi.

When we used to pull our RV trailer, before psi monitor systems, I was invariably out there first thing in the morning with my large garage level air gauge, checking both vehicle and RV tires, before starting the next phase of the trip. You don't want to have tire problems when travelling long distance.